Thread: Assetto Corsa - Racing Simulator

Supporting Member 9./JG52 Ziegler's Avatar
    Coast of Maine - Halfway between the equator and the North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: Assetto Corsa - Racing Simulator

Quote Originally Posted by Marmus View Post
    Hey Naz et al,

We could set up time trials between ourselves. At the AC forums, they use the ingame friends system. They set a car and a race track for a week. Best time on Sunday is the winner. It looks like we all need to be Steam friends for the times to show up. (honestly, not really sure how it works) But I did join their Week 3 race.

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/in...verstone.7239/

They just started week 4, but perhaps we should try our own here at ATAG?
    Thanks for that. I wasn't aware we could "multiplayer" yet! Gonna try this.
    Corsair 600T-Gigabite Gigabyte Z77-UD5 mobo-I7 Ivy Bridge 3770k@3.5ghz-Scythe Ninja 3 -16g HyperX- EVGA GTX 670 FTW-HyperX SSD-Logitech G19-Cyborg Ratz 9-CH Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and throttle with MFG Crosswind pedals, BenQ 2420T monitor, Track IR-5, Obutto Rev3. http://9jg52.com/

Glückliche sieben

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    907.2 KB

One of the things that really gets me hooked on various sims are the little things.

I did a race (the super car challenge) before work today, in a Ferrari 458 around Silverstone with AI. One of the cars I was chasing took a corner a little wide and its outside wheels went onto the grass ... as I was rapidly closing on him I could see chunks of grass and dirt being raked up by his rear wheel and being flung out behind him ... it looked ... really good.

Like I said, its those little things that really ramp up that "suspension of disbelief" and allows one to, at some level, forget you are sitting in an office chair with a ridiculous wheel, gear shift and pedal setup and, for a brief moment, believe you are driving a beautiful car that you know you'll never get the chance to do in the real world.

Bravo Kunos, Bravo.
    Last edited by ATAG_Naz; Apr-02-2014 at 20:49.

"...pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse, playing cricket is not."
    - Keith Miller, Australian Test Cricketer, Australian Rules Footballer and WW2 RAAF pilot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.39 MB

Hi All.
    Sry Marmus but that first video..
    I just cant stop laughing..So hilarious!
    Got same "steering equip."/setup as You.
    If completely sober and doing Your best with
    stick'n rudder I think I need a wheel here..

~S~
    jeepy

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    820.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Hi All.
    Sry Marmus but that first video..
    I just cant stop laughing..So hilarious!
    Got same "steering equip."/setup as You.
    If completely sober and doing Your best with
    stick'n rudder I think I need a wheel here..

~S~
    jeepy
    welcome to the world of "Flight simmers with a racing problem!"

I find that I can only really drive the Tatuus F1 car...that thing sticks to the ground like glue and not too bad with flight stick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    907.2 KB

Oh that's right, I forgot you told me that....we'll have to select that for next week's challenge mate

- Keith Miller, Australian Test Cricketer, Australian Rules Footballer and WW2 RAAF pilot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    907.2 KB

Multiplayer enabled in Assetto Corsa on May 2nd.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    820.0 KB

Assetto Corsa is on sale at Steam for $19.99 US for next 24 hours.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    528.14 MB

Oh dear.... They did this:

http://www.assettocorsa.net/assetto-...andidate-news/

I do not want to, but temptation is stronger. And the worst thing is, that this 'thing' supports modders. I've seen quite number of great nicks from rFactor community already joined AC.

And I still have an old momo racing, and I know where I put this.
    Last edited by b0czek; Oct-15-2014 at 18:14.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Its nice to see some of the flight sim guys also enjoy some sim racing, one of the reasons why I havent got back to flying is that I got into sim racing and even bought a full Fanatec setup with a seat.Anyways just wanted to share my first AC video using the famous Ferrari 312t which is a mighty beast.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Nice video, AC has been a really joy to play since they launched on early access. 2015 is going to be a good year too with 50 new cars and 5 new tracks planned and a big announcement to come by the end of the year which has become a tradition for them.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Revvin View Post
    Nice video, AC has been a really joy to play since they launched on early access. 2015 is going to be a good year too with 50 new cars and 5 new tracks planned and a big announcement to come by the end of the year which has become a tradition for them.
    Wasnt aware that they had announced so much I just hope they start improving that multiplayer as soon as possible though.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

It was announced as part of the v1.00 launch, they will be released as either DLC or free content. What problems are you having with Multiplayer? I've found it to be pretty robust. I've tried a few different early access products on Steam and IMHO this was by far the best one, regular updates, regular content releases and you could see genuine improvement as the process went on.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

To be completely honest.. I havent tried it I had watched some videos of people trying and it being a mess so I didnt even bother. I think I should give it a try now.
    Last edited by Royraiden; Dec-23-2014 at 14:15.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I ran two servers for a few months, the netcode is very good and the only reason I could think of there being issues are people trying to connect to servers a long way from them giving them a high ping. I dabble in iRacing, rFactor 2, pCars etc and rate it as highly as any of those in my experience. I was concerned about the multiplayer as that's the thing that let Netkar Pro down so their track record was not great but I was really relieved to see it work so well. Server side can be a bit clunky and its missing some admin tools but as far as setting up a server, choosing a track, cars, settings I found it pretty straightforward and the big plus is it has a Linux server version so its cheaper to set up a server or rent one as there are a few game server companies now supporting AC where they didn't support games like rFactor 2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I'm not a massive fan of AC, just doesnt feel too great to me. I do however spend alot ( maybe too much) time on iRacing

Im the #8 (Laidler)

Fighting for position in this Its just as addictive, technical and difficult as it is dogfighting, a real adrenalin buzz

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Nice video Honcho, good commentators too, though the driving seemed a little undisciplined. I like iRacing too, ran a league a while back mostly based around the MX-5. The colours are a bit too vibrant in iRacing for my taste, that intro had a lot of post processing by the creator. My biggest gripe though is thetyre model. The hype was massive for the new tyre model and for years after we've had patchy updates where not all cars ran the same version of the tyre model and for me the feeling of driving on the edge of adhesion is better in Assetto Corsa as I feel like I can hold a car on the edge and get enough feedback from the physics/tyre model/force feedback to stop it going too far where as in iRacing if you make a mistake it often ends in a spin, it didn't get its nickname iceRacing for nothing.

Supporting Member 9./JG52 Ziegler's Avatar
    Coast of Maine - Halfway between the equator and the North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Revvin View Post
    Nice video Honcho, good commentators too, though the driving seemed a little undisciplined. I like iRacing too, ran a league a while back mostly based around the MX-5. The colours are a bit too vibrant in iRacing for my taste, that intro had a lot of post processing by the creator. My biggest gripe though is thetyre model. The hype was massive for the new tyre model and for years after we've had patchy updates where not all cars ran the same version of the tyre model and for me the feeling of driving on the edge of adhesion is better in Assetto Corsa as I feel like I can hold a car on the edge and get enough feedback from the physics/tyre model/force feedback to stop it going too far where as in iRacing if you make a mistake it often ends in a spin, it didn't get its nickname iceRacing for nothing.
    Agree Revvin, I like the AC DM better than IRacing too for that same reason you stated. Graphics are much more lush too.
    Corsair 600T-Gigabite Gigabyte Z77-UD5 mobo-I7 Ivy Bridge 3770k@3.5ghz-Scythe Ninja 3 -16g HyperX- EVGA GTX 670 FTW-HyperX SSD-Logitech G19-Cyborg Ratz 9-CH Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and throttle with MFG Crosswind pedals, BenQ 2420T monitor, Track IR-5, Obutto Rev3. http://9jg52.com/

Glückliche sieben

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Kunos just released a little update with the RUF Yellow bird.Im downloading it right now, Ill come back with my impressions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Yea I know exactly what you mean with the iRacing tyres. The FWD cars are almost bang on ( In my opinion) and thats all o really driver TBH, Ive tried the open wheelers and GT cars but I keep looping them or i am horrifically slow.

The BSR racingI posted up, drivers do get penalties for bad driving, but we all know when theirs that many of us in such a short space its bound to happen, or just like when doing the real thing, we start getting a bit too optimistic

Anyone else been following the P-CARS builds?

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I started out in iRacing when it was in its final closed phase before launching in 2008. Back then the start of the open wheel side of the game was the Skip Barber, at the time I hated it, it felt like piloting a rocket strapped to pram wheels but it was perhaps a good lesson in car control despite my many years sim racing since I caught the bug playing Chequered Flag on my ZX Spectrum.

Alongside the MX-5 league we also used the Star Mazda for open wheel races as it takes quite a bit of damage before becoming undriveable. I still enjoy dipping in and out of IRacing and it is still the best structured racing service in my opinion but I just love the feeling of driving on the edge and pushing the limit in Assetto Corsa.

I bought into pCars a few years ago. It felt very arcade to begin with but graphically drop dead gorgeous, even better than Assetto Corsa. Over the last 18 months the physics and handling have improved a lot and brought it much closer to the sim end of the racing spectrum although not as good as Assetto Corsa and IRacing in my opinion but I'd recommend taking a look at it.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

The more I play this sim, the more I like it.Here's a little video I recently uploaded , driving the Lotus 49 at my favorite track(Imola).I know I am a noob at this and doing good against the AI means next to nothing, but I just enjoy driving the older cars and catching the slides as the back end starts to step out

22. Likes ATAG_Septic liked this post
    Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    463.16 MB

Great skills Royraiden old chap!

I tend to spin off on around lap 2.

Do you have a wheel? I'm struggling with an x-box controller here.

Septic.
    [CENTER][CENTER] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

24. Likes Royraiden liked this post
    ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Oh my goodness that looks fantastic.

I used to love playing grand prix legends but cant get it to work on win 8

26. Likes Royraiden liked this post
    Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Septic View Post
    Great skills Royraiden old chap!

I tend to spin off on around lap 2.

Do you have a wheel? I'm struggling with an x-box controller here.

Septic.
    Yes I do, actually I have a whole setup:
    Fanatec CSR Wheel
    Fanatec Clubsport V2 pedals
    Csr Shifters
    CSL Seat

Ironically I have spent more money on the racing sim gear recently than what I had spent on flight sim gear for a few years.Cant wait for Oculus Rift, it will take both flight sims and racing sims to a whole new level.And by the way I started out playing with my Xbox 360 controller for steering and my flight sim pedals for gas and brake like a year ago with F1 2013, it was a pain, but I enjoyed it so much that I decided to buy the whole racing gear without even trying a proper racing sim first. And dont worry about spinning, the first weeks playing Assetto Corsa I was so frustrated because I spun at almost every corner just by "breathing" on the throttle
    Last edited by Royraiden; Jan-22-2015 at 16:23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Anyone have AC and Project Cars? Trying to decide which one to pick.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    528.14 MB

I had quite similar problem (Assetto Corsa vs rFactor2).

Regarding Project: CARS, some states, that racecars behave more like Assetto way. Sounds great for civilian driver. But... last year I had possibility to drive Ariel Atom. I would say, rFactor car simulation was pretty acurate.

After I read many posts, this time I decided to bought Asseetto Corsa, as I figured out, that some known modders from rFactor switched to AC. rFactor2 is still beta(?).

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hey Fella's I have been getting more and more into this race sim. Have very little knowledge on car set-ups, but I have started a server to screw around on. I normally like the F1 or earlier open wheel cars. If any of you are interested I can run the server for a few laps around the track ANON6 Racing is the name of the server. PM if interested

racing.jpg

P.S.
    Marmus I love that ATAG skin,,,, Can I get it

My new skin:

Showroom_lotus_98t_21-5-2015-23-7-59.jpg
    Last edited by Injerin; Jun-22-2015 at 00:17.
    ANON6 - Tactical Group Play | CLOD - DCS SERIES - STAR CITIZEN - ARMA3 | www.anon6.com[/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Im trying to decide on what first racing sim to get for the PC. I have project cars on the xbox one so will most likely be AC. Quick question, im pondering on getting a decent seat, but i want to be able to use it for flight simming and racing. ive been looking at playseats and they do one for flight sims, but not sure if this would be any good for racing. And vice versa for the racing seats. Any suggestions??

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Old F1 in an old track.

Last edited by 5th_Hellrider; Dec-14-2015 at 12:49.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12