Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Broadcaster Software Tutorial

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Open Broadcaster Software Tutorial

Hello everybody, I thought why not make a tutorial on how to record videos in Cliffs with this awesome piece of software.

It's free of charge, highly customizable and can be used for both live streaming to a service like twitch.tv or YouTube or for local recordings (the way I use it)

http://obsproject.com/

Older Tutorial

Updated Tutorial

Almost all of the videos found on my channel have been recorded using OBS. Funnily the OBS tutorial I recorded using FFSplit, but thats just a sidenote...
    Last edited by Karaya; Oct-30-2014 at 11:25.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: Open Broadcaster Software Tutorial

Thumbs up!

Thanks to Karaya I am using the software as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for referring this to me Karaya, love how it records for hours and barely uses up any data

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the great tutorial!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for sharing Karaya. Do you think OBS it's better than Fraps ?
    Regia Aeronautica
    Luftwaffe > Weiß 7
    Regia Aeronautica >
    R.A.F. >

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thank you, great tutorial!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Gladio View Post
    Thanks for sharing Karaya. Do you think OBS it's better than Fraps ?
    Two main advantages (or even 3)

1. Its free
    2. It uses x264 encoding
    3. It can be used to stream live if ones has enough bandwith for it

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

What Lolsav said!

For livestreaming you should at the very least have a 2MBit upload speed (for 720p) or better yet 3 or more (for 1080p). As said OBS is very easy on the system whereas Fraps for me personally has always resulted in huge performance drops while recording and the file capture size is huge as it records uncompressed .avi files.

You can adjust the quality of OBS footage directly via the bitrate which is very nice and straightforward. At 5000kbit which I use to record locally a 1h flight comes in at roughly 2GB, with Fraps you'd have the same file size after barely a few minutes!

The only feature I can see that OBS lacks as compared to Fraps is that it does not include a framerate counter but I can live with that, besides Cliffs has its own inbuilt frame counter just for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    160.45 MB

This is awesome, thank you I just did a PS tutorial for one of my clients with this. Super easy to set up and record.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Karaya. This is very helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

awesome guide! but.
    The launcher(clod) keep crashing when i tab out to see the preview. when it works it works really good but restarting clod is a real pain. Any ideas? my google skills where sub-par on this subject apparently .

Problemsignatur:
    Problemhändelsens namn: APPCRASH
    Programnamn: launcher.exe_Launcher
    Programversion: 1.0.0.0
    Programtidsstämpel: 4d6e3d08
    Namn på felmodul: d3d10core.dll
    Modulens version: 6.1.7600.16385
    Tidsstämpel för felmodul: 4a5bd9a3
    Undantagskod: c0000005
    Undantagsförskjutning: 00027347
    OS-version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Språkvariant-ID: 1053
    Ytterligare information 1: 0a9e
    Ytterligare information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Ytterligare information 3: 0a9e
    Ytterligare information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    edit: the text is not in english......
    Last edited by Otyg; Apr-05-2014 at 10:46.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

More info pls!

What OS are you running, do you use any overlays or graphics injectors (TS plugin, Steam overlay, SweetFX,...)!?

Disable all of these and then try again and see if it works

Supporting Member III./ZG76_Saipan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

keep getting error about server thinks I am still logged in or bad key.... any ideas? thanks and all I have is the black box even after alt tab back from the plane. very frustrating.
    Last edited by III./ZG76_Saipan; Apr-23-2014 at 18:48.
    ASUS Z370-A, i5 8600k, CM haf-x, EVGA gtx 1660 Ti SC ACX, Antec HC 850, Samsung 120GB SSD , WD Black 1TB, Corsair GSkill 16GB, Creative SB Recon, Creative G500 5.1, ASUS VS248h-P
    Me-110 Black 17 with Hptmn. Hans "AWAC" Warsteiner
    :
    Trust me , I fly a Bf 110 (C2-->C7)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Are you trying to make a live stream?

For the black screen issue: Try deleting the global source and setting it back up the same way as shown in the tutorial. It is extremely important you first get into an aircraft and then go out to pick the source, else you will hook OBS up with the GUI rather than the game itself!

Supporting Member III./ZG76_Saipan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

ok, lolsav got it going.... make sure fraps is off and the ts3 overlay ( not the tf one the generic one). thanks guys!
    ASUS Z370-A, i5 8600k, CM haf-x, EVGA gtx 1660 Ti SC ACX, Antec HC 850, Samsung 120GB SSD , WD Black 1TB, Corsair GSkill 16GB, Creative SB Recon, Creative G500 5.1, ASUS VS248h-P
    Me-110 Black 17 with Hptmn. Hans "AWAC" Warsteiner
    :
    Trust me , I fly a Bf 110 (C2-->C7)

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    754 Bytes

Something to throw out there, just in case. I made this mistake and rectified only recently, after doing some research / getting help from others. So I might as well share:

If you're using OBS, which uses x264 to encode, then you get a substantial performance boost if you have AVX instructions. For windows 8, I think avx comes with "stock" W8. For W7, you need to get microsoft's service pack 1 to get it. If you're using a very fresh install of W7 you might not have it. This service pack does not include the KB2670838 which is known to mess with cliffs of dover.

using AVX, I got a 46% performance boost:

before avx: http://i.imgur.com/ixoa9Y0.jpg
    after avs: http://i.imgur.com/lvESbZL.jpg

this is where I downloaded the service pack from: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/Operating_System/

the benchmark/stress test is the 295 mb file from this post: http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/h...#post_21941059

PS: check out karaya's channel! he flies the 109 very well, is an excellent shot and you often see strong element flying from them. he's currently doing the 50 mission sortie challenge. it's a pleasure watching his vods. there are also time stamps if you don't feel like going through the entire sortie, as they are a bit less than an hour long most of the time (historical 109 mission time, am i right?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Interesting!

Did not know about that AVX thingy.

Also thank you for the kind words about my channel. I try to add annotations as best I can but it takes time which means that some videos only get them added in after a few days time...
    Last edited by Karaya; Apr-26-2014 at 08:39.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Thanks for this tutorial and headsup Karaya...~S~

I have been looking for a good alternative to Fraps.....and its good that this has more options....

I'm downloading it now...
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    951.63 MB

very very very good program... I just use... OBS for two months

but if you not use two monitors, you got a problem

I use two monitors. No1 for Cliffs of Dover, no2 for OBS window and TS3 window

with 12.000 bit rate it was very hard program but with 5.000 it work very well...

with Fraps you got 4 times bigger files, and OBS are 4 times smaller...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hey guys, just thought I should let you know about shadowplay. It's a free addon for any nvidia owners, and has a very small impact on performance. File size is also tiny compared to what fraps puts out. It also has twitch support built in. The latest release has push to talk now too!

Google it for more details
    Those who can, do. Those who can't, complain

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Broodwich View Post
    Hey guys, just thought I should let you know about shadowplay. It's a free addon for any nvidia owners, and has a very small impact on performance. File size is also tiny compared to what fraps puts out. It also has twitch support built in. The latest release has push to talk now too!

Google it for more details
    Not intended to crash the party but since a few updates OBS supports the very same encoder that Shadowplay uses (NVENC). It can be enabled in the settings under "Video" on the very top of the window. There should be three choices: x264, Quick Sync & Nvidia NVENC. Nvidia users should have at least 2 of these three for choice. I'll try to give a very basic overview of these three right here:

x264: a very powerful open source video encoding codec for output in MPEG-4 format. Out of all three options this will provide the best quality for a given bitrate!

Quick Sync: This will ONLY be available if you own a Quick Sync capable motherboard & at least a Sandy Bridge type CPU. This option should have the least impact on game & system performance as the encoding is taken over by the onboard GPU incorporated into the Intel CPU, however image quality is decidely lower than x264.

NVENC: This is the same encoder used by Shadowplay and there is very little to choose between this and x264 though most people will tell you that for a given bitrate x264 gives better quality than NVENC. If you experience performance issues while recording on the fly give this a try and see if it works out for you.

Overall I would recommend staying with the standard x264 codec as it simply provides the best video quality and I have never really noticed much of a performance hit recording at 1080p, 30fps & 5000kbps! I really recommend OBS to anybody interested in recording game footage, it's highly customizable to your personal needs and fairly intuitive. You can start recording after just a few tweaks, most of the advanced settings are of no importance to the average Joe...
    Last edited by Karaya; Jun-10-2014 at 04:02.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

I heard of OBS from someone quite some time ago but it was this post that finally convinced me to try it. Thanks Karaya

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Interesting, although there isnt much reason for a small increase in quality when youtube takes a huge chunk out of it already.

The other big selling point for shadowplay is you can press a button and the past 1-20 minutes of play is saved. It really makes it convenient recording because I dont have to worry about starting it at the beginning of an engagement, or recording the whole sortie. Does the OBS do that too?
    Those who can, do. Those who can't, complain

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    112.57 MB

I just tried OBS today - and ran into a problem... mind you, it's my first time trying to make any vids.

Anyway, I recording my flight and used OBS to encode the .trk file on playback. The video quality is great but I get no sound at all. Am I going about this incorrectly?

I tried all the different settings from the "Audio" settings, but nothing works.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

NINja

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Make sure you have your speakers selected under "Desktop Audio Device:" and that they are not muted on the main program window (more red bars means louder, no red bars means muted)!

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    112.57 MB

Thanks for your reply... I have Digital Audio (HDMI) selected as my desktop audio device and the red bars are full right. I play CloD on a TV via HDMI from my computer.

EDIT: I just restarted the program as well as CloD, and now the sound is coming through, but very softly. I have to turn my volume all the way up to hear it.
    Last edited by TWC_NINja; Jun-22-2014 at 19:00.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Make sure you have something selected like "Speakers", "Television" or some such. You can see what your correct audio device is by right clicking the speaker symbol in the low right, right click, choose playback devices and then play something like music or a video. The active audio device should show green bars dancing around as volume goes up & down...

As for volume: I have the speaker volume set all the way to 100% for recording

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    110.68 MB

I'll be checking this out, thanks Karaya!

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thank you Karaya for this brilliant tutorial. After realising that running fraps and CoD together was a bit too much for my PC, I had given up hope of ever being able to record live sorties unless I upgraded my build. Making vids of one's exploits from recorded tracks has several issues like certain cockpit instruments not showing accurate readouts and the 'lean to gunsight' action not being recorded.

Thanks to OBS I can easily record without my system throwing a fit and the file sizes (with Karaya's settings) are a fraction of what fraps generates.

I have learned, and am still learning, to fly and shoot from Karaya's vids and now he has taught me how to use OBS. You are a true master sir!

Just a heads up to anyone facing launcher crashes.

I had the game crash at random intervals especially after entering the aircraft or just after taking off. I then minimised the OBS window and that seems to have solved the problem.

30. Likes Karaya liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I tried this obs in War Thunder all i goth was a black screen... looked it up on the web.. lots of complaints over obs and black screens.. so il wait .. til my control settings of my bf109 are good again.. ggrrrr...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast