Desert Hawks - success progression

Thumbnail

Rating: 0
Favourites: 0

Report File

Desert Hawks - success progression

File Information

Hi,

I've added some basic mission success and failure scripting to the Desert Hawks campaign. English language only I'm afraid*. I found it quite jarring to always see a mission faiulure screen regardless of what happened in the mission, and then to continue anyway.

You can progress to the next mission provided you land safely, or indeed even just bail out. This isn't a very strict ironman (I hear that is not popular), but does hopefully mean there is a bit more immersion to flying the missions. Whoever made the missions put effort into the mission descriptions to give immersion and did all the hard work of setting up the flights and mission objects and I hope this complements their work. The mission briefings stress to keep yourself alive, so this is what I made the focus of the scripting rather than getting to waypoints or getting kills etc. It also still gives a quick way past a mission if you want, just take off and bail out

I've added in a new 'mission failed' screen and used what was previously displayed there as the image as the success screen. I've also added a single oline of text indicating why it is failed rather than the progress of the war text (whihc of course has been kept for success).

I also found that on mision 4 there was a problem with the aircraft trying to take off on Scegga No1, reducing the second flight to 3 aircraft form 4 seemed to stop that. I wonder if there is some bug on that airfield. It kept destroying the engine of one of the aircraft in the flight on spawning in and it seems my aircraft just pitched onto its nose when trying to take off, even if set to AI control at mission start (used for testing). Anyway, seems usign 4 + 3 aircraft lets the mission work, but be warned it may be unbalanced for any later combat perhaps.

* Sorry for the lack of other languages, I'm sadly not even bilingual and don't have experience of online translators and how accurate or not they are.

Thanks for the assistance with scripting to those who helped with my questions. I will probably look at some of the other campaings after I've actually played this one a bit for fun, as I think most of the others also just display the failure message regardless, and this mod seems quite a simple thing but at least stops triggering my OCD or whatever it is that found the failure screen being shown all the time such a hard thing to swallow.

Report File

Reason

Report Comment

Reason

Report Link

Reason