PDA

View Full Version : All kinds of noob questions

Jaeger
Apr-09-2014, 16:50
Hello~~S~~

Well after spending the last month or so tuning in my freetrack device, I think I'm ready to start flying this sim. Boy oh boy, where do I start?

I'm patched up and ready to play online with the current TF 4.3.12 The game loads and reacts well, no glitches or hiccups. ( I Hope )

Is it me or is the game interface a bit clunky/clumsy? Just to get in a single player flight in the plane/situation I want is a bit of a put off and the multiplayer is a pain also.

First Question

I must have opened up something when I first got the game. I have a chat window, ok that seems normal. I also have in the upper right hand corner a transparent window that says throttle %, Rad% Mix% etc. ok that also seems normal. I have under the chat box another transparent window that just sits there. Sometimes it's a large grey rectangle that should not be there and it blocks a chunk of the screen. How do I get rid of it? And can these windows be moved.

I most likely will have more questions, but I will ask as I go along.

Thanks
The other Jaeger

darkside3/4
Apr-09-2014, 17:34
I believe left control or alt click on the box should make it active, then right click close. Please jump on Teamspeak whether ATAG's or a populated squadron and say hi. You will get all the help you need no questions asked. If not, I'll punch them in their virtual face.

ATAG_Septic
Apr-09-2014, 18:54
Hi Jaeger,

Welcome to the forum.

We're all still asking questions old chap! I've just spent half an hour doing doughnuts in a JU88 and I've been playing three years. I wrote two off before I got one up and I porked that half way over the channel.

So ask way old bean,

Septic. :salute:

Jaeger
Apr-11-2014, 16:15
That did the job. The boxes are removed. Or do I want to keep them. What can I use them for? I dont mind using something for a training tool, but my goal is to become able to fly on your full realism server.

III./ZG76_Saipan
Apr-11-2014, 16:25
i have one for radar info, ts overlay, eng management and one for server text. i assume you have ts3. just dive in and play online. its easier to ask questions and get answers. make sure you use ptt for ts3, push to talk setup.

Jaeger
Apr-11-2014, 17:25
Oh one more thing.... this game modded, freetrack, TS and playing online can I expect to play with all options on high or very high? Do not check the SSAO box nor the Anti-epilepsy box?
3.2ghz i5, 8GB ram, Nvidia gtx760 2gb.

ATAG_Septic
Apr-11-2014, 17:34
Hi Jaeger,

I suspect you could run the game with graphics at very high settings with that rig. Epilepsy filter causes all sorts of graphical problems so definitely off (unless you need it ofc) and SSAO doesn't seem to make a deal of difference for me.

Septic.

Oh one more thing.... this game modded, freetrack, TS and playing online can I expect to play with all options on high or very high? Do not check the SSAO box nor the Anti-epilepsy box?

ATAG_Lewis
Apr-11-2014, 17:38
Welcome to the community and forums Jaeger....~S~

Checkout the 'Beginners Guide'...for info and tips...It should save you a heap of time in getting up to scratch.....and its a really fun learning curve anyway..

Beginners Guide Link Here (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5058&p=52711)

Also try youtube for startup procedures on all the aircraft

And dont forget the 'Windows Guide' for all those windows and grey box issues....

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3273

Any questions then you've come to the right place....

Good to have you with us buddy...and remember its all about the Fun!!!

...lew...

harisund
Apr-11-2014, 17:57

I have a 760 too .. what resolution are you playing at? I play at 1080p and with all high I am able to get close to something like 50 FPS or so .. feels pretty smooth to me.

Jaeger
Apr-11-2014, 18:21
Lewis...hehe, do the people here realize how silly you can be?:salute:

ATAG_Lewis
Apr-11-2014, 18:54
Lol....I'm sure they do Jaeg...Good times :-)

Are you FS~Jaeger?...

Injerin
Apr-11-2014, 18:56
After you do what these other fellas said. You will be on the.......................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyT9jTW7MHc

And Welcome :P

Jaeger
Apr-11-2014, 18:57
Yep. ~S

Doozy
Apr-11-2014, 23:16
Welcome Jaegar :salute:

I've been here for several months and still find myself referring to Lew's Beginner/Newcomer link.
It has most of the answers , is very well laid out and will get you up and running in no time. Also
the rest of the forum has many helpful tips , and if you don't like all that reading you can jump on
Team Speak and the guys there will have answers for you , although they may sometimes stutter
when getting their butts shot off , but will be happy to help you while they warm up after the respawn.

Oh and by the way , don't be intimidated by that mean killer look on Lew's face , that picture was taken right after his boss sent him out of town and he knew he couldn't fly CLoD !

ATAG and Team Fusion is where it's at :thumbsup:

Doozy

darkside3/4
Apr-11-2014, 23:36
Lew is like a puppy just given kibble and bits..., only thing he could scare would be a baby. Ask on TS we want to help.:)

Jaeger
Apr-12-2014, 10:27
When Lewis gets angry..

Ok, ok, getting off track here.. lol (Lewis is too funny)

ATAG_Lewis
Apr-12-2014, 17:14
Yep. ~S

lol.....So glad you made it bro....So pleased you're giving CLOD a whirl...Good luck bro....~S~

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr232/FS_Lewis/emailable-1.jpg

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr232/FS_Lewis/banjoboy2.jpg http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr232/FS_Lewis/RomanHolidayHepburnPeck1copy.jpg

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr232/FS_Lewis/Pistcopy.jpg http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr232/FS_Lewis/lista-de-schindler021copy-1.jpg

And in case you were wondering Jaeg.....In CLOD...The big bugs are all but gone!

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr232/FS_Lewis/1copy_zps2e73ccd1.jpg

Doozy
Apr-12-2014, 22:25
Thank goodness I don't have to attend a funeral this week , because if that bug pic
popped into my mind I'm sure I would bust out laughing !!!!

:)

Doozy

Jaeger
Apr-13-2014, 14:07
OK Back to business.

Picked out a Bf-109e1 from Jg2 at the base in Cherbourg. Taxied to the strip, took off and headed north. One thing is for sure, you have to keep a sharp eye on the pitch, rpm, and throttle. So lesson learned there.
Question......I think I over reved the engine for too long while practicing and when I throttled up, the entire plane shook. Engine kaput yes? time to rtb there's no pitch setting nor throttle adjustment to fix it?

So flying along, moving north. I get to the southern English coast and start to look around. I get from time to time these frame rate hiccups. I'll be at a solid 60 fps then a studder down to 30 for just a second. This comes and goes as I fly along the coast. Is it a server/ping issue, or a computer performance issue on my end?

So still flying along enjoying my flight when I decide to not ignore the blue message radio controller squawking in my ear in German. He's calling contacts. Are these live real player contacts or A.I. planes?

Flying along, spot a bogie and go down to check it out. We do a head on pass, I hold fire as did the bogie, to make sure its not German. Ah roundels! Spitfire! Fly in a few circles, but there must have been two of em. One got me . sortie over.
So that is it. My first real sortie to the English coast. Lasted about 20 minutes. I really dont care if I get shot down at the moment. I had fun and was glad I was able to not roast an engine just flying around. Soon enough I'll get on TS with you all.

~S~ Jaeger

Jaeger
Apr-13-2014, 14:25
Oh and the stats say I have an air abandon. How do I not be "that" pilot/gamer. Was I supposed to bail or what? I didnt see any refly button.

III./ZG76_Saipan
Apr-13-2014, 15:49
if you are stats motivated I would keep track of them with pen and paper.....the stats sys has flaws.

Jaeger
Apr-13-2014, 16:19
I'm not a stats grabber, but I use it to judge progress or lack of it. Gunn accuacy, landings and all that other stuff. I've never been able to be a "top" gun for lack of proper equipment or time. I just do know where some people find so much time to just play flight sims all day. That all said, I noticed that the stats page is pretty basic and bare. Thats ok.

ATAG_Torian
Apr-14-2014, 00:44
OK Back to business.

Picked out a Bf-109e1 ........ there's no pitch setting nor throttle adjustment to fix it?

So flying along, moving north. I get to the southern English coast and start to look around. I get from time to time these frame rate hiccups. I'll be at a solid 60 fps then a studder down to 30 for just a second. This comes and goes as I fly along the coast. Is it a server/ping issue, or a computer performance issue on my end?

So still flying along enjoying my flight when I decide to not ignore the blue message radio controller squawking in my ear in German. He's calling contacts. Are these live real player contacts or A.I.

In the E1 and E3 u must manually manage ur prop pitch. Best to set a key binding for increase and decrease in the aircraft control settings. The actual toggle switch on the front panel can be clicked with ur mouse but evry1 uses a key bind or maps a controller axis to it. The E4 has a switch to toggle auto prop pitch. Most usually use manual control for takeoff and at other times but auto is useful on occasions when u don't want to have to manage prop pitch.
Stutters come and go for a number of reasons. Yes it can be server related but more often is related to how much rendering ur vid card is trying to do. Flying past towns, especially big towns (go for a low flyover of London) can drag ur fps down. A large furball with bombers can do it too.
Controller does definitely call out AI contacts but I don't really know whether they call out human piloted aircraft as well. I have the voice turned off as I find it annoying and when I fly blue I can't understand it anyway. My guess is they do as I have controller messages come on at the top of my screen and they do call out human piloted aircraft.