PDA

View Full Version : DCS A-10 Startup (For Kids!)

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Jan-15-2012, 15:09
I have a hard time remembering the 40 some switches you have to flip to start an A-10 (I usually get lost around switch 2 or 3). I used to have a very fancy Startup cheat sheet. It was on a very classy piece of notebook paper with nearly illegible handwriting, coffee stains, random wrinkles and smeared ink. Unfortunately I have lost this amazing work of art in the massive piles of paper that I seem to accumulate by attending college.

Rather than try to repeat history I decided to make a different kind of
cheat sheet with photoshop. I mostly made it for myself, but hopefully it
is easy enough for others to use. It's pretty easy to read because it's
just a picture with numbered X's and O's.

It's a little chaotic and crude, but this should help if you if your new to
the game and can't quite remember which switch to throw next. Enjoy! (Or
just cringe at the child like simplification.)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/9823/a10startp1.jpg

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/7848/a10startp2.jpg

Hopefully one day they'll have to put child proof locks on A-10's to keep
toddlers from starting them up.

Doc
Jan-15-2012, 21:23
Thanks NS I have this but never flew it. Will try it out.

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-15-2012, 21:46
Thanks for this, NS. DCS-A-10 runs great on my PC, but the complexity of it has admittedly left me cold. Now I have a TM Warthog HOTAS, and your guide, guess I'm fresh out of excuses! LOL

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Jan-16-2012, 12:56
always wanted to try this but I don't know if i have the patience or time to learn it all to really be able to enjoy it..

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Jan-16-2012, 19:20
Well here is some advice from a lazy bastard, because I let this thing collect dust for months before I finally got the determination to figure it out.

Make sure you assign all of the HOTAS controls in your config then do the HOTAS tutorial. Maybe do the Navigation tutorial and then do the weapons tutorials and the countermeasures tutorial. The weapons tutorials are more fun than all of the intro ones. Once you get a chance to successfully blow something up with that 30mm Gatling gun or a laser guided bomb, you'll be hooked.

If you get confused with the weapons tutorials, you should probably do the HOTAS tutorial again so you understand all SLEW and SPI nonsense. Most of the systems are controlled through the HOTAS.

After you learn the weapon systems, you can start flying missions. Then you can just look up things in the manual when you come across them (How to put out an engine fire, how to turn on or reboot a system, ect.). I find it more enjoyable to just crash and burn in a few dozen A-10's and look up what I did wrong at my own lazy pace.

Dutch
Jul-30-2012, 11:58
I've had this sim for over a year, but didn't get beyond starting the engines up.

Today whilst awaiting the elusive 'we'll save it til Monday' patch, I learnt how to use the HUD and the MFCDs (albeit in a rather limited fashion).

My target for July 2013 is to learn how to drop a bomb, and maybe even how to launch a Maverick.

I also have this fantasy of shooting down Snapper's P-51 with an AIM-9...................:devilish:

Frosty
Feb-02-2013, 08:26
Sithspawn and I normally fly sunday nights on a server hosted by him and weve been looking for other people to fly with. If your interested in learning the systems I'd be willing help you guys with what I've learned so far and im sure Sith would too.

Dice
Feb-02-2013, 13:37
My target for July 2013 is to learn how to drop a bomb, and maybe even how to launch a Maverick.

Took me a week to get the damn Mav off the rails, TMS UP SHORT finally locked it if I remember correctly, not that it was listed in any tutorials that came with the game (sigh).

For those of you with an old X52 setup as I, there are a few profiles available for download, SFJackBauer`s works for me...if your like Snapper and own the amazing Hotas WARTHOG setup, it`s all plug and play so I`m told.....and I want one.:D

Frosty
Feb-02-2013, 15:49
I bought one and trust me its well worth its weight in gold. It really made the game better.