PDA

View Full Version : Auto Prop Pitch

1210kjs
Apr-27-2014, 19:32
Hello, I have been off an on with this game trying to learn how to fly with full CEM, and right now I'm learning with the BF109f4, partly because it seems easier to fly with the mixture being automatic and the prop pitch as well. My question is, does enabling manual prop pitch in this plane, and doing it yourself give you a greater advantage in flight? Or is the difference very slight? I wold like to learn to do it manually, but it's difficult for me to understand with prop pitch is best at certain altitudes,and other situations. Also I am using the latest Team Fusion patch

III./ZG76_Keller
Apr-27-2014, 20:06
You'll get better performance with Auto-Pitch off.

Adjusting pitch is a constant thing, there is no "best" pitch for situations and altitudes. The trick is to keep your RPMs where they need to be depending on what you're involved in. Pushing your RPMs to their limit should only be used in combat situations, for cruising you'll want to keep them a bit lower.

1210kjs
Apr-27-2014, 20:27
You'll get better performance with Auto-Pitch off.

Adjusting pitch is a constant thing, there is no "best" pitch for situations and altitudes. The trick is to keep your RPMs where they need to be depending on what you're involved in. Pushing your RPMs to their limit should only be used in combat situations, for cruising you'll want to keep them a bit lower.

Ok thanks! When should I be enabling my WEP? When it's time to run away? I should probably just try to get with someone on team-speak at this rate haha. Also it seems that when I use my WEP it turns off by itself after about a minute, is that right?

ATAG_Torian
Apr-27-2014, 21:30
Yes the "wep" will turn itself off automatically in 1 minute. I don't think it is available in the E4N tho. U don't want to use wep over a certain altitude...about 4000m if memory serves me. (If that has changed in the recent patches some1 pls correct me)
Manual pitch will definitely give better performance particularly in takeoff, landing and climbs. The good thing about having auto available is when u are new it will manage ur prop pitch in a dive and save u burning out ur engine if u are new to managing it.

1210kjs
Apr-27-2014, 21:39
Yes the "wep" will turn itself off automatically in 1 minute. I don't think it is available in the E4N tho. U don't want to use wep over a certain altitude...about 4000m if memory serves me. (If that has changed in the recent patches some1 pls correct me)
Manual pitch will definitely give better performance particularly in takeoff, landing and climbs. The good thing about having auto available is when u are new it will manage ur prop pitch in a dive and save u burning out ur engine if u are new to managing it.

Thank you that helps! So leaving it on auto during combat is a viable option? It would be much easier to manage it when climbing, taking off, landing, and cruising. Then I could turn it off while in combat so that I can pay attention to my maneuvers and such.

III./ZG76_Keller
Apr-27-2014, 22:46
Thank you that helps! So leaving it on auto during combat is a viable option? It would be much easier to manage it when climbing, taking off, landing, and cruising. Then I could turn it off while in combat so that I can pay attention to my maneuvers and such.

That's exactly what I do with an E4. A lot of the ATAG server missions have earlier model 109s without the auto-prop, so when I get a chance to fly an E4 I usually fight with it on. It's a nice break from having to do it manually. Just don't rely on it 'cause you'll get out of the habit of flying manually when E4s aren't available.

1210kjs
Apr-28-2014, 00:05
That's exactly what I do with an E4. A lot of the ATAG server missions have earlier model 109s without the auto-prop, so when I get a chance to fly an E4 I usually fight with it on. It's a nice break from having to do it manually. Just don't rely on it 'cause you'll get out of the habit of flying manually when E4s aren't available.

Good to hear that an experienced pilot uses that technique haha. One of the hardest things for me is to dive while manually adjusting the prop haha.

9./JG52 Ziegler
Apr-28-2014, 09:15
The more you fly with manual pitch the better you'll get at it. I used to only use the autopitch when in combat as it made the workload easier under stress but now I never use automatic as it is not as fast to react as manual is and thus you get better performance with manual adjustments and you can still over rev it and pooch the engine with the auto pitch on.

You start to get used to clues like the engine sound and after a while will hardly have to look at the revs. Takes time but it will come with practice. :thumbsup:

Beware that in the E4b varient, there is a sound bug with the engine so this will not apply. In that one you have to keep watch as the engine always sounds like it is screaming.

1210kjs
Apr-28-2014, 12:38
The more you fly with manual pitch the better you'll get at it. I used to only use the autopitch when in combat as it made the workload easier under stress but now I never use automatic as it is not as fast to react as manual is and thus you get better performance with manual adjustments and you can still over rev it and pooch the engine with the auto pitch on.

You start to get used to clues like the engine sound and after a while will hardly have to look at the revs. Takes time but it will come with practice. :thumbsup:

Beware that in the E4b varient, there is a sound bug with the engine so this will not apply. In that one you have to keep watch as the engine always sounds like it is screaming.

I'll keep practicing it! I'm starting to see what you mean by the sounds. I drive a stick shift so it's kind of similar to that i guess haha.

9./JG52 Ziegler
Apr-28-2014, 17:58
I'll keep practicing it! I'm starting to see what you mean by the sounds. I drive a stick shift so it's kind of similar to that i guess haha.

That's exactly right. It is akin to changing gears except that you have an infinate number like a CVT trans.

1210kjs
Apr-28-2014, 18:10
That's exactly right. It is akin to changing gears except that you have an infinate number like a CVT trans.

Alright. Another question i have is say you are flying at 1.3 Ata ; 2400 U/min. I believe the longest you can go with these settings is 5 minutes. If I then go back to cruise settings, how long do I have to wait until I can go back to 1.3 Ata ; 2400 U/min without hurting the engine? Sorry if my question is confusing haha.

ATAG_Torian
Apr-28-2014, 23:39
Good question. I don't have the definitive answer but I would leave it off that setting for as long as u can until u need it again. U can always go to a practice map and test these things to your hearts content. Just set an airspawn and u can burn as many engines out as u like while u determine the limits u can fly too.

Incog
Apr-29-2014, 00:46
I'm guessing that the limiting factor is oil and water heat? As long as those temperatures are kept in check you should be good to go. My guess is that at 5 minute of 5 minute power settings has both settings heat up to the point where you'll wreck your engine if you're not careful. So as soon as they're cool you should be good for another 5 minute power boost.

Not sure if that's accurate, just stating what would make sense to me.

ATAG_EvangelusE
Apr-29-2014, 07:27
I am fairly new to the 109 too and there is some useful info here, I don't want to hi-jack the thread but as someone used to the Spit CSP I noticed that the 109 auto prop system is different regards full throttle use.

To stay within the recommended RPM and ATA I seem to have to fly part throttle and, according to the TF Wiki, full throttle equates to approx 2500 rpm - have I got this right and is full throttle mainly used in combat at high altitude?

9./JG52 Ziegler
Apr-29-2014, 07:36
Alright. Another question i have is say you are flying at 1.3 Ata ; 2400 U/min. I believe the longest you can go with these settings is 5 minutes. If I then go back to cruise settings, how long do I have to wait until I can go back to 1.3 Ata ; 2400 U/min without hurting the engine? Sorry if my question is confusing haha.

You can fly at 1.3 ata as long as you like if you do these two things. 1. keep your U/min at 2300 or lower (I like 2200) and 2. and most importent your airspeed at 350kph and above.