PDA

View Full Version : Is there a glossary for TS??

TWC_NINja
Apr-27-2014, 23:55
I apologize for the uber newbie question, but I was wondering if there's anywhere I can be directed to learn all the lingo being used on TS... There're terms like "feet wet", "angel", and several others that I don't remember. Is there such a thing as a glossary or maybe some wiki I can look up?

Trying to get into the game, but there's soooo much to learn - TS being one of them.

Thanks.

Ninja

92 Cdt. Kiwikillemoff (QJ-Z)
Apr-28-2014, 00:16
I apologize for the uber newbie question, but I was wondering if there's anywhere I can be directed to learn all the lingo being used on TS... There're terms like "feet wet", "angel", and several others that I don't remember. Is there such a thing as a glossary or maybe some wiki I can look up?

Trying to get into the game, but there's soooo much to learn - TS being one of them.

Thanks.

Ninja

Hey Ninja!

To be honest, just ask. Everyone on TS is happy to help.

here are a couple to help

RTB: return to base
AFK: away from keyboard
Angels: Altitude (height)
Winchester: out of ammo
Feet wet: flying over the ocean
Feet Dry: flying over land
Tally ho: commenceing attack run on enemy
PK: Pilot killed from attack
Smoke Break: AFK for a cigarette

Kiwi

Steerpots
Apr-28-2014, 03:07
S! Ninja
A couple more for you:

Angels: is altitude in 1000's of feet e.g angels 7.5 = 7,500ft
Cherubs: is altitude below 1000ft e.g. cherubs 3 = 300ft
Feet wet: flying over water, usually the English Channel or the North Sea (no oceans South and East of England)
Bingo Fuel: out of fuel.
Feet up: wheels up
Feet down: wheels down

I also suggest you-
1. have push to talk button on TS
2. learn the maps and place names, people do have some strange pronunciations for places, so always ask when you hear unknowns
2. learn the phonetic alphabet
3. learn to navigate using the compass/gyro, set them on the ground before you take-off. Headings will then make sense to you.
4. understand o'clock references in relation to position of stuff

As said above, don't be afraid to ask, and additionally, don't accept the 1st answer you get to a question as being correct.
Ask different people the same question to allow you to verify any answers you get.

56RAF_Steerpots

Mysticpuma
Apr-28-2014, 05:26
Let's say you get involved with the enemy or see an enemy in Grid Ref: J7, KP 8

J is the letter at the top, 7 is the number at the side.

KP = Keypad. So if you look at the number pad on your keyboard it reads:

as you look at it.

The Phonetic alphabet is always Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, etc, etc

So bring up your map, check your location by looking at the proper ground below you and matching it on the map.

You could then call out on Teamspeak;

Bandits (identified enemy)

Contacts/Cons/Bogie (unidentified aircraft)

Juliet Seven, Keypad 8/KP 8

Angels 8

I'm Diving/Climbing (give your start altitude) to intercept (don't advise climbing to intercept!)

Then wait for (hopefully) a response :)

Best to brush up on these too :)

http://www.phonetic-alphabet.org.uk/

Cheers, MP

9./JG52 Ziegler
Apr-28-2014, 09:06
If flying blue

bereit = ready (to roll)

Los = rolling

Solo = wheels up

Havana = RTB

Congo = Landed

Horrido = a shoot down or victory

ChiefRedCloud
Apr-28-2014, 09:37
This may help ....

Roblex
Apr-28-2014, 13:48
Bingo Fuel: out of fuel.

A common mistake but actually 'Bingo Fuel' means you have the minimum amount possible to RTB.

Some more that you may hear.

Contacts - Unidentified distant aircraft.
Bandits - Contacts positively ID'd as enemy.
Bogies - Contacts thought likely to be enemies.

Rads - Radiators eg your leader may say 'Boost 4, 2600, Rads 50' to let you know his Throttle, pitch and radiators settings to make it easier for you to match his speed.

Rolling - starting your take-off run (followed by 'wheels up' to indicate you have left the ground and are raising your undercarriage')
- Sometimes you will hear 'Rolling Manston' meaning 'I am about to take-off from Manston'

Wave-tops / Treetops - flying very low.

Streaming - Visibly leaking fluids (you can see a white trail) Not to be confused with 'Contrailing' which is trailing white condensation at altitude.

Off - I have finished my attack ( to let someone else know it is safe to have a go at your target without risking hitting you )

Egress - leave the target. Not necessarily heading home, just flying away from the target after attacking e.g. 'After you have dropped, egress 180'

Vulch - hang around over an enemy airfield to pick off people as they spawn in.

Baffin
Apr-29-2014, 12:27
There is a real world standard sequence for inflight reports:

Acronym: I-P-T-A-R [Identification, Position, Time, Altitude, Remarks].

I-1. [Call Sign] That is, the party you want to talk to such as "Reno 22", "Attention RAF Fighters". The recipient of the call should instantly listen up.
I-2. [Call Sign] Your call sign comes next. That way, if it's "Sky King" or "Fidget" you can tune him out and ignore the call.
P. Your position over or on the ground. "Over the allied ships" or "On the ground at Hawkinge", etc.
T. The time your reported event occurred. "Five minutes ago", "Nine thirty-two", etc. Obviously, if it's right now, ignore the time item.
A. Your Altitude. Communication is what's important. "Angels three", "Cherubs six", "One Four Thousand" (preferred over "Fourteen"), are all OK.
R. Remarks. "Over Calais" reporting a point, "Four 109's at six thousand", "I'm under attack over Lympne at Angels three", in other words, the message from you, to the right person, in clear language.

Basically, who you are calling, who you are, what time it is, your altitude (Height), and your message.

For more information on comm procedures, including the modern phonetic alphabet, from the United States' FAA, see:

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim/aim0402.html#aim0402.html.1

TWC_NINja
Apr-29-2014, 19:13
wow! Looks like the beginnings of a glossary to me here...

Thanks guys, learning a lot - but keep them coming.

9./JG52_Meyer
Apr-30-2014, 04:18
A few more that my Kamerad Ziegler forgot to mention above
Indianer - Bandit
Bussard - Friendly aircraft
Pauke Pauke - i am attacking

ATAG_Septic
Apr-30-2014, 06:37
Old bean = old chap.
Old chap = old bean.
Old chum = an old chap or an old bean getting ticked off.
Me owd(sic) china = a chap who is already an old chap or an old bean but only rarely an old chum.

All these are singular only so avoid old chaps or old beans. Old chums is rarely used.

Hope this helps chaps, or is it beans?

Septic.

Muffin
Apr-30-2014, 07:41
Old bean = old chap.
Old chap = old bean.
Old chum = an old chap or an old bean getting ticked off.
Me owd(sic) china = a chap who is already an old chap or an old bean but only rarely an old chum.

All these are singular only so avoid old chaps or old beans. Old chums is rarely used.

Hope this helps chaps, or is it beans?

Septic.

+1

Roblex
Apr-30-2014, 13:26
Dont forget 'Old Man' can also be used instead of 'Old Chap' but 'The Old Man' is the 'The Boss' though that gets confusing because 56 is full of old men but the squadron leader is a lot younger :-P

Stormrider
Jun-11-2014, 11:40
in this glossary for teamspeak I miss "he is fenting". I probably wrote it wrong, thats also the reason why I can't find what it means.It is used when someone chases or shoot at a me109.
:(Sometimes it can be difficult to understand what people say or mean on teamspeak if english is not you native language.But with a little help I will learn:)

ATAG_Septic
Jun-11-2014, 11:52
in this glossary for teamspeak I miss "he is fenting".

Hi Stormrider. It's a reference to an aircraft "venting" or leaking a fluid or smoke trail from damage.

The term always makes me smile as I imagine an angry red-faced pilot venting his frustration!

Septic.

Stormrider
Jun-11-2014, 13:37
Hi Stormrider. It's a reference to an aircraft "venting" or leaking a fluid or smoke trail from damage.

The term always makes me smile as I imagine an angry red-faced pilot venting his frustration!

Septic.

Thanks Septic.:thumbsup: for explaining.

RAF74_Raptor
Jun-16-2014, 15:35
A few more

Hitting the Silk----- You have bailed out

I am in----- You are attacking the bandit

Break Left-Right---- Perform a hard maneuver to either the left or right

In Trail---- Right behind your Wingleader

ATAG_Colander
Jun-16-2014, 16:53
I am in----- You are attacking the bandit

I'm out ---- you finished your attack allowing others to jump in.

Combat Wombat
Jun-16-2014, 19:53
Or in my case S = S---

Baffin
Jun-20-2014, 12:30
Glossary compiled and posted in the ATAG Flight School under comms procedures.

ATAG_Snarglepuss
Jun-30-2014, 09:26
and then there's
Smite him....
Smite him hip and thigh.....
Smite him with great slaughter.....

Now superseded in more advanced regions of our world but can still be heard on rare occasion(s):recon: