PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Stability

Dresarian
Apr-28-2014, 16:17
It's been forever and a day since I last fired up CloD, and the release of 4.312 sucked me back in, (massively impressed, btw) however, I seem to either have a control issue or am just unfamiliar with the real handling characteristics of these aircraft, and Jane's WWII Fighters was lying to me all those years ago.

Here's the issue: I have an ancient Saitek X45 that I only 10 minutes ago got the Saitek drivers to work successfully with Win7 64 for the first time. Any time I'd use them, they'd conflict with the MS drivers and DCS-A10C, FC3, Arma, you name it, my chosen air/spacecraft would flip the eff out. Just upgrading to the Saitek drivers made my Hurricane feel much less nervous, but I've noticed a tendency to roll uncommanded, requiring a constant opposite aileron. (and either I've mapped trim wrong or dumping full opposite roll trim is having no effect) I'm well aware that these old crates were much more "alive" than the silicon-blooded rocketships I'm used to, and if it's a matter of just having to train myself I'm up for the challenge. However, with that said, I tried with Torque and Gyro disabled (all other realism set to full), and that reversed the direction of roll on the free-flight Spitfire from a port tendency to starboard. Is that due to asymmetric drag caused by the radiator cowl being offset from the centerline, or does this sound like a control issue? No matter what I can not get any of these planes properly trimmed for level flight, which makes trying to keep station require all the delicate hand movements of holding a CH-47 with the ramp down just over rooftop while an Arma squad loads.

What makes me doubt myself is I tend to fly high-mass modern aircraft whose very bulk tends to damp out unwanted movement even before the fly-by-wire steps in. On the other hand I've always heard what a simple joy the Spitfire was to handle, and am worried my control setup is betraying it, which, if I can't handle a Spitfire with this stick, it may well put my dream of mastering the Hurricane further away, until I buy a Rhino or a Warthog HOTAS.

**embarrassed edit**

Fine-tuned some sensitivity and deadzones enough to get a good baseline. It is indeed operator error. I'm forever waiting for this 13 year old stick to go belly-up on me, but apparently meticulously taking care of it has paid some dividends. I just got a Hurricane off the ground and into the fight after a super short take off roll, and cruised rock solid with a little counter-rudder trim. Have to relearn the intricacies of prop pitch and illuminating my reflector sight, but just getting the proper drivers has been a huge improvement.

Ohms
Apr-28-2014, 17:53
Just to let you know these old birds have no aileron trim. Hurricane and spit have a slight tendency to roll.

Ohms

Dresarian
Apr-28-2014, 18:59
Just to let you know these old birds have no aileron trim. Hurricane and spit have a slight tendency to roll.

Ohms

It's almost as if they were high performance combat aircraft with slight dynamic instability built in the days before avionics. Who knew, right? Yeah... I've got a lot to relearn. I've been spoiled with my fancy turbines and multi-barrel cannon. It's astounding just how many .303's you have to thump into a Dornier to drop it if you're not precise with your aim. Whereas if I get lucky and can make a poorly-flown Mig-29 intersect with a few Avenger rounds it just stops doing that thing we call "existing."