PDA

View Full Version : Hurriance/Spitfire training request

Doc Fontaine
May-09-2014, 20:42
For some reason I just can't seem to get the hang of managing my engine, on either the Hurricane or the Spitfire. It's all fine until I get in the air, then it just overheats and there's never anything I'm able to do about it. I'd be grateful if someone more experienced were able to set aside the time to show me just how to tame these aircraft! I'm not of much use until I can actually fly without my engine conking out...

If someone is able to tutor me on the above that'd be grand :) I can do most everything else fine, perhaps with the exception of landing smoothly (it goes wrong more than it goes right). Once I've mastered managing the engine and landing the thing I should be able to make some use of myself.

I'm free weekends and most week days, so sorting out a time won't be too much of a problem!

*and it should be Hurricane, I know. I can only apologise.

TWC_NINja
May-09-2014, 21:57
Are you on TS?? Maybe we can swap notes. I wanna learn how to fly and not get killed EVERYTIME.

I've never had my engine burn up. Maybe I can share what I know about engine management and you can give me some tips on combat flying.

Whadya say?

Ninja

ATAG_Torian
May-09-2014, 23:13
Hi Doc,
Hopefully one of our UK contingent can take u aside for some 1 on 1.
As a general rule overheating is a combination of too high rpm for too long. This means u need to manage ur prop pitch in whatever given situation u are dealing with. Don't just leave ur rpm at 3000 at full throttle.
Eg. For a climb, once u hit 160mph (with rads full open) after takeoff, drop prop pitch until u get to about 2800rpm at full throttle with 75% rads and u should get u up to 20,000ft at 2000ft/min with no overheat (I usually do it with only 50% rads). Always watch ur water temp and if approaching 115* then u want to adjust something. Remember u don't have to use full throttle all the time. The red band on the boost guage is there for a reason.
In a dive u will want to lower ur pp and throttle to prevent over rev and watch u don't go too fast or u will rip ur plane apart. In a dogfight always open ur rads fully and keep one eye on the water temp guage especially if u use boost override.
Hope some of that helps.

ATAG_Septic
May-10-2014, 10:38
Hi Doc,

I'm on BST so should be able to assist.

What Torian said is the key. RPMs governed by prop-pitch is perhaps the most important element to not over-heating.

Lewis has a useful thread here; http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9111&highlight=easy

You're welcome to give me a nudge if you see me on-line or PM me to arrange a time for a practice.

Septic.:salute:

Doc Fontaine
May-10-2014, 13:17
Cheers all! Wasn't expecting so many responses so quickly.

RE your advice Torian, I do get the importance of controlling the RPM, and I know it should never exceed 2800 (unless in extreme circumstances), but the problem is I get this overheating issue only a few seconds after take-off, so it's not even a problem when I'm cruising yet. But this might be because I keep the throttle open for too long after I lift off - should I gradually ease it down once I take off? Also, should I change the prop pitch as soon as I lift off*? I think I might need some brief training in how to operate the radiator properly as well, cos I've never got the hang of that. It's all good advice so far though, much appreciated. I'll pop on in a bit and give it all a go.

Also, ninja, that's sound good. Like I said I'm around most of the time so if you just send me a message whenever and we can get some practice in. I'm a bit rusty on combat myself since I haven't flown since last autumn. Add me on Steam if you want, I'm Doc Fontaine on there too, probably be easier communication-wise.

*I think that's right anyway because there's an excerpt in Paul Richey's memoirs about a fellow pilot who forgot to adjust the pitch after he took off and he planted his 'Cane in a hedge at the edge of the airstrip...

ATAG_Torian
May-10-2014, 13:47
If u are overheating soon after takeoff ur radiatior is either closed or not open far enuff. It must be all the way open for takeoff, this is NOT optional. That is the lever on the left of ur seat must be all the way forward. Set a key bind to open rads and another to close rads. With rads all the way open u can fly for some time even at full throttle and 3000rpm without burning out ur engine but I recommend u drop ur rpm to 2800-2850 once u hit 160mph. It's helpful if u change the slider indicators on the lower left of ur screen to a digital readout.

pzr vr6
May-10-2014, 19:13
Hi Doc,

I'm on BST so should be able to assist.

What Torian said is the key. RPMs governed by prop-pitch is perhaps the most important element to not over-heating.

Lewis has a useful thread here; http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9111&highlight=easy

You're welcome to give me a nudge if you see me on-line or PM me to arrange a time for a practice.

more important than rad setting?

ATAG_Septic
May-10-2014, 22:11
more important than rad setting?

Fair point old chap, yes it is also important that your rad is open. You can set it and forget it though at 70% once airborne and clean (or a bit less with practice). Assuming this, as long as your RPMs are under control then you won't overheat.

Simply put; Once airborne and clean. Rads ~70%. Throttle 100%. Prop-pitch ~75%

You can use Boost Cut Out quite liberally but keep you RPMs down a bit. You can then learn to refine these settings at leisure.

Doc Fontaine
May-11-2014, 14:46
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Ak1w4DwV8#t=27

This has all been a big help, I'll let you know how I get on!

Doc Fontaine
May-12-2014, 05:43
Update - just took a MkI Hurricane up, followed everyone's advice, and found great success! Bombed around for about half an hour, got to practice some pretty nifty maneuvers and had some impromptu spin recovery practice. After a while, I felt a cup of tea coming on, so I decided to land at an airfield I'd spotted, and after multiple attempts, brought it down to 90mph as I "cleared the hedge" so-to-speak, but descended too sharply and bounced to the end of the runway. Aborted said attempt, but then didn't have enough speed to get airborne again and careered into a corn field. Knackered the propellers and snapped a part of the right wing off.

I think my landing technique could use some work.

kopperdrake
May-12-2014, 14:47
Hi Doc,

I've made a video on landing (and a few others) in the Hurricane specifically, at

http://youtu.be/JFrIEF0Kt0A

The IAS for flap and carriage deployment is a bit high in the video, but they won't be torn off at those speeds. Essentially you're looking for a descent rate of around 1,000ft/min. You don't want to exceed 120mph-ias with the flaps lowered, undercarriage is much higher, but if you stick to 150mph for undercarriage lowering and 110mph for flap lowering then you're well within normal operational practice. Stall speed with both lowered is around 70mph - normal landing speed with both lowered is 85mph in powered flight - 90mph in a glide. Any other help just ask - search for steam profile name No.501_Bunny and send me a message :)

Good hunting!

Doc Fontaine
May-12-2014, 17:30
Yeah I know all the procedures for landing, I just misjudge the approach a lot of the time, but I've got it under control now. It's all about jumping through hoops really, with the wheels down at 150, the flaps at 120ish, and aiming to clear the incoming border of the airfield at 90 providing for a nice smooth landing if the descent isn't too sudden - that's the only moment where it can go wrong for me.