PDA

View Full Version : Survived my first Taran!

Skoshi_Tiger
May-12-2014, 08:49
Just having a bit of a play with the quick mission builder in a two V two combat with me in a La-5 against 109's. Having ham-fistedly wasted all my ammo I had only two choices, Run away with my tail between my legs leaving my virtual comrade in the fight with two 109's or even the odds for my brave compatriot!

Noticing the two 109's had focused their attention on my wingman I pushing the throttle to the firewall and slowly gained ground on the trailing 109's low six then bunted up and brought my propeller down on his tail. The results were catastrophic for the 109, rudder and elevator separated from his craft. I was left with a bent propeller but otherwise serviceable aircraft.

My work being done I glided back towards my lines and belly landed with only minor injury to my pilot!

All in all it was quite a fun encounter with, to me at least, a feel like combat in the old WWII fighters. The smoke effects from burning planes is quite nice.

I'm not sure if it's just my setup, but is there a subtle fish eye lens effect? That ground seams to drop away very fast and come back quicker when you get close. (I'm probably not explaining what it right! )

Hope it doesn't take long for them to implement CEM.

ATAG_Snapper
May-12-2014, 09:36
Congrats! Interesting aspect to the BoS damage model. :thumbsup:

(if you wish, I can change "Tartan" (Scottish clan colours) to Taran ("deliberate air collision") in your thread title).

Skoshi_Tiger
May-12-2014, 10:13
Congrats! Interesting aspect to the BoS damage model.

if you wish, I can change "Tartan" (Scottish clan colours) to Taran ("deliberate air collision") in your thread title).

That would be great could if you could Snapper!

It was also interesting that the AI focused their attention on my wingman. Initially I was in a fairly intense fight with one of the 109's.

Cheers!

ATAG_Snapper
May-12-2014, 10:22
Done, although Spell Checker tried to change "Taran" to "Tarantula"! LOL

The AI behaviour sounds intriguing.

LuseKofte
May-12-2014, 11:00
I think you explained it well, there are some fishy blur sting to the visibility , it is also a incredibly good feeling to fly those russian planes, the LA-5 is superb in the matter of feeling the physics, you feel them so much that you almost get surprised when you see you can follow the 109 in a turn for some time, the sense of bleeding speed and feel the G forces are quite something unique about this game.

Talisman
May-12-2014, 11:40
I think you explained it well, there are some fishy blur sting to the visibility , it is also a incredibly good feeling to fly those russian planes, the LA-5 is superb in the matter of feeling the physics, you feel them so much that you almost get surprised when you see you can follow the 109 in a turn for some time, the sense of bleeding speed and feel the G forces are quite something unique about this game.

I very much agree with you Lusekofte. It is the nearest to actually flying an aircraft that I have felt in any flight sim. It is very immersive indeed.

Happy landings,

Talisman