PDA

View Full Version : Quick Warm-Up!

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-29-2012, 11:42
All Red fighter pilots have experienced the frustration of sitting helplessly on an airfield while getting strafed as our cold-blooded Merlins take FOREVER to warm up. Just got a little tip last night while online on how to drastically speed up the warmup process:

1) Radiator to 50%
2) Prop pitch 50% coarse
3) Throttle 10% open (as normal)

Start up at these settings, then holding your brakes on, gradually open your throttle to increase rpms (not full throttle, but estimate ~ 2,000 rpms?).

I tried this once and my radiator temp climbed very quickly to 63 C. I then did a normal takeoff with radiator full open, throttle wide open at overboost (6.5 lbs), prop pitch fully fine. On wheels up I left throttle at full overboost, coarsened prop pitch to reduce revs to 2500 rpms, and closed my radiator back to 50%.

I chased a 110 at wavetop level clear across the Channel at at steady 260 mph AIS at these settings, caught him, shot him down over his airfield, and headed home. I only touched my throttle to make speed adjustments when manuevering behind the 110.

I only did the one trial "fast warmup" before logging off. I invite others here to try this and report back....or pass on other tips of this nature that work for YOU.

Torian, please jump in if I missed anything.

Thanks to Windsurfer for sharing this valuable technique. :thumbsup:

Dutch
Jan-29-2012, 12:00
I always leave radiator fully closed for warmup, and pitch full fine (more rpm), but yes, pushing the throttle on the brakes speeds things up hugely.:thumbsup:

ATAG_Torian
Feb-01-2012, 07:13
I do believe it was 30% throttle. I also leave rad closed until over 30*. With this
config it definitely reduces startup time.

CanvasKnight
Apr-07-2012, 03:20
I don't yet have any experience in the Brit fighters, but I can confirm that this works the same way for us 109 pilots. Once the engine starts, I usually warm up the engine quickly by slowly increasing the throttle, keeping the RPMs around 1000 while I start to taxi around to the runway. By that point it is usually warmed up enough for a proper full power takeoff with boost. It doesn't take very long that way.

ATAG_Snapper
Apr-07-2012, 08:18
Ah, if only our Brit fighters had fuel injection!!!! :)

These frosty early-Spring days I suffer the same limitations with my old carburetted Harley Softail. While I fiddle with its fuel enrichener, prime it carefully so as not to flood it or douse the plugs, all my buddies sit around bemusedly watching me on their purring new-model Harley 'Glides fitted with the wonderful Delphi Electronic Fuel Injection. After some raucous barks the old girl coughs reluctantly to life and settles into a lopey, uneven idle that threatens to die if I even dare relax my gentle ministrations to the throttle -- even for a second. The cold-blooded little chopper takes her sweet time to warm up, while my "start 'n go" buds wander back into the coffee shop for yet another small double-double to while away the minutes. She defies me to try to hurry the process -- I know she will abruptly quit in petulance if I should be so brash. As "Lil' Cranberry" gradually awakens, I stammer an embarrassed apology to the waiting assembly of fellow riders as they each throw a leg over their efficient machines. "Not to worry, Snapper", they say, "It takes a few minutes for our handgrip warmers to come to temp....." <sigh> :pouting:

At least I'm not being strafed in this case........ :thumbsup:

335th_GRAthos
Apr-07-2012, 17:29
Snapper,

I begin to think that your Harley is overmodelled (or undermodelled)...

:hugesmiley:

Nice one!

~S~

ATAG_Knuckles
Apr-07-2012, 18:01
1961 Shovelhead: magneito No electrics. If it didn't fire after 5 kicks, go have a beer and try in an hour. Love that bike, actually more of an adventure than anything else.

Oops did I just start another off topic thread :shocked:

Dutch
Apr-07-2012, 19:56
The cold-blooded little chopper takes her sweet time to warm up.

Don't they have tablets for that these days?? :Grin:

Serves you right for flying a Harley. Technology of a Lada for the price of a Lamborghini.

Great bikes as long as you don't have to turn, or go fast.

Gimme a Jap sportsbike any day of the week.

Sheesh. Poseurs................!:happy

ATAG_Knuckles
Apr-07-2012, 21:58
Don't they have tablets for that these days?? :Grin:

Serves you right for flying a Harley. Technology of a Lada for the price of a Lamborghini.

Great bikes as long as you don't have to turn, or go fast.

Gimme a Jap sportsbike any day of the week.

Sheesh. Poseurs................!:happy

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!:angry::bgsmile:

Dutch
Apr-08-2012, 04:22
:bgsmile:

Knew that'd get someone going!

I remember an Aussie ex-racer, Paul Lewis, had a Harley dealership after he gave up racing. He challenged anyone from the general public to a race around Donington Park, with him on his Harley, them on whatever they thought would beat him.

He sort of proved Oleg's theory of 'it's not the plane, it's the pilot' on a motorcycle.

That must've been back in the early 80s. Probably wouldn't be allowed now.

He used to ride for Suzuki in the 500GPs................! :laugh1