PDA

View Full Version : Airbus electric plane

ATAG_Colander
May-15-2014, 13:28
http://www.aerospace-technology.com/projects/e-fan-electric-aircraft/

ATAG_Snapper
May-15-2014, 13:36
Yowsers!!!!! :thumbsup:

We we knew it had to come eventually as battery technology progressed. With a flight time of 45 minutes or so, any Charles Lindbergh wannabes better hold off for further developments. :D

Incog
May-19-2014, 01:17
It's nice to see them developing this!

I like it.

Though I question the decision to add a small motor to the wheel. That's just extra weight when actually flying. This aircraft should be light enough to pull around with just one guy really.

1 hour endurance is really bad though, you basically get 45 minutes of flight before you should be on the ground. Compare that to a 152 who can stay in the air for 6 hours if need be (e.g. you can have multiple student flights consecutively). This is really interesting but they have a looooong way to make an actual good light aircraft.

Osprey
May-19-2014, 11:07
That depends on purpose. If you are looking at this prototype in a particular way the chances are that the requirements are completely different. I understand from a friend that this is a phased project which includes range, eg PV cells to support on board power, regeneration from 'braking'.