PDA

View Full Version : Compass backwards

JG4_sKylon
May-18-2014, 11:20
Hello folks,

if some of you don´t already know:
http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/6343-compass-backwards/

NPG reports it on may 8th, finally an answer 1 week later regarding the problem.
Unbelievable.

kaliber
May-18-2014, 12:45
Am I missing something here? It's an incredibly minor bug with no real bad consequences what's the big deal? I'm sure they have bigger worries than a compass reading the wrong way, The whole bashing this game or that by mostly grown men is silly.

Hood
May-18-2014, 12:47
Calm down dear, it's only a bug.

I wonder when it was reported and acknowledged in the bug thread....?

Hood

ATAG_Snapper
May-18-2014, 13:45
Am I missing something here? It's an incredibly minor bug with no real bad consequences what's the big deal? I'm sure they have bigger worries than a compass reading the wrong way, The whole bashing this game or that by mostly grown men is silly.

Hmmm, noting that a compass is backwards (off by 180 degrees?) is hardly a minor bug with no real bad consequences....unless I'm missing something here. This is hardly bashing a game, it's simply reporting an error in game that needs fixing. This is permitted in this forum, by grown men and by ungrown men.

kaliber
May-18-2014, 14:02
Hmmm, noting that a compass is backwards (off by 180 degrees?) is hardly a minor bug with no real bad consequences....unless I'm missing something here. This is hardly bashing a game, it's simply reporting an error in game that needs fixing. This is permitted in this forum, by grown men and by ungrown men.

Well in the big picture, yes it is incredibly small and insignificant bug which they already knew about according to the reply so they didn't mention it until the post got larger. Sorry if I cam off a little harsh in my post but the amount of overreacting to the smallest things in the games development gets a little tiresome, I just don't see what's "unbelievable".

ATAG_Snapper
May-18-2014, 14:17
I'm guessing the "unbelievable" comment is because it *is* significant if a player gets separated by his mates, has to navigate on his own, and unwittingly flies deeper into enemy territory instead of flying home. Errors/bugs/glitches much, much smaller than this are routinely reported to Team Fusion and no one calls it bashing.

Hood
May-18-2014, 16:41
No Snapper the unbelievable bit is probably because they acknowledged it after a week, not because of the nature of the bug. And calling that unbelievable is childish and equates in my mind to bashing the developers.

Woopee.

Hood

LuseKofte
May-18-2014, 17:21
In current state I want the rate of climb and artificial horizon to work. I can the directions I need to fly :)
Snapper believe me, navigation is not a problem at all. I don't use the compass. It is just to take off, climb a little to the left and your there :D

Unbelieveable, I don't know, the world isn't going under, the sim progress in slow circles , back and forward. Lets see what the future say, when this become an beta and leave the Alpha stadium.
This is exactly why a alpha never should been published, many people don't get the idea. It has been far to many reactions like this by people believing they bought a finished game.
So no matter how shocked you are, it is your fault, you should simply not bought a game in Alpha stage

JG4_sKylon
May-18-2014, 18:53
If someday i own a company i would like to have customers like 777 has.
My opinion:
- Compass worked before latest patch.
- Navigation and knowing where you fly to is a fundamental part of any flight sim.
- so in my opinion this is no minor bug.
- none of the replies mentioned that this bug is already known / reported so of course i am wondering about the late reply by an official.

Being a "founder" is nothing less than being an alpha tester who even pays money to the developers to do part of the work the producers/developers did in good old times when games were published after they were finished.
What i expect in return is at least an open communication and short response times when reporting major problems.

Regarding the rather harsh response on my first critical post about BoS which was primarily intended as a wakeup call for others (i had difficulties to find a post in BoS forum about this problem) i think some guys are really identifying themselfs with the devs.
Well at least this is not my problem.

S!

kaliber
May-18-2014, 19:42
If someday i own a company i would like to have customers like 777 has.
My opinion:
- Compass worked before latest patch.
- Navigation and knowing where you fly to is a fundamental part of any flight sim.
- so in my opinion this is no minor bug.
- none of the replies mentioned that this bug is already known / reported so of course i am wondering about the late reply by an official.

Being a "founder" is nothing less than being an alpha tester who even pays money to the developers to do part of the work the producers/developers did in good old times when games were published after they were finished.
What i expect in return is at least an open communication and short response times when reporting major problems.

Regarding the rather harsh response on my first critical post about BoS which was primarily intended as a wakeup call for others (i had difficulties to find a post in BoS forum about this problem) i think some guys are really identifying themselfs with the devs.
Well at least this is not my problem.

S!

You knew what you were buying, it's fine to have buyers remorse but c'mon this is grasping at straws. I don't identify with anyone, people are simply blowing things out of proportion in an alpha no less.

JG4_sKylon
May-18-2014, 20:50
You knew what you were buying.

Oh, i obviously did something wrong. Or maybe i am the only one not able to see the future.
On my part i payed the price and got access to the alpha afterwards.

I think i already made my point clear earlier.
If you expect less / other things it is okay for me and i would not care to comment that.

ATAG_Snapper
May-18-2014, 22:06
OK. Points have been made surrounding the backwards compass issue. The dev has acknowledged this bug and indications are that it will be fixed.

As I've stated elsewhere, I have no skin in this game. I haven't purchased it nor do I plan to. However, I hope Battle of Stalingrad does well, mainly because many of my Clod And DCS friends purchased it, and also because I believe it will draw more new players into the genre. It won't take away from Clod, thanks largely to Team Fusion's ongoing contributions (:salute:). Just the opposite, I see new players naturally migrating over to Clod with a newfound interest in WW2 air combat sims. Not as an either/or deal, but a BOTH deal. DCS WW2 will also benefit in the same way, I believe.

With that said, let's please allow forum members here to discuss EVERY detail of BoS without worry that the topic is too trivial or inconsequential. We're not here to bash sims; we're here to discuss sims. In detail. Except backward compasses.....that's been done already.

AKA_Recon
May-18-2014, 23:21
You knew what you were buying

I was buying 'hope' ... I don't think anyone knew what they were buying - they had this whole 'you have to buy it before the end of the month to get 'unlocks' and 190 and La5', etc.. I think it was a pressure sell :)

Skoshi_Tiger
May-18-2014, 23:47
Directions 180 degrees out? Hadn't picked up on that.

Wasn't something like that the catalist for the Battle of Barking Creek? Hmm! Remebered seeing a recent heated discussion on team killing over at the BoS site. Wonder if there could have been some simple confusion? ;)

Ah well, it should be very simple for them to fix.

LuseKofte
May-19-2014, 00:36
I haven't flown it since the day LA 5 came, it is just after last patch.
And Skylon it is not what you said, it was kind of more how. But all means , use the words of your own choice.

I am not at all surprised you get ignored, it is kind of the same when CLOD was developed. The shit hit the fan over and over and over again and they stop answering.
You are about 1 of 100 % not satisfied customer of the day.
You say you would like customer like us?
Well you can have us, I would not. Almost every topic in this BOS section are on the edge to be closed because of drama.
But much of what you say is correct and I did not want to offend you, if I did ,I apologize

startrekmike
May-19-2014, 00:43
The compass bug is pretty minor at this point really, I mean, when you really break it down, the developers have to look at the larger picture and at the moment, we are playing on the smaller map with very few (if any) navigational concerns, as such, the dev's were probably slow to respond simply because they wanted us to know that they were already aware of it and in the process of or are planning to fix it.

To me, this thread does feel a bit like the OP is trying to point at this as some sort of obvious failure, some sort of thing we are all supposed to point and laugh about or something, it may not have been the OP's intention but that is how one could read it and it would explain the response.

In the end, this is a minor issue as things sit right now, it will probably get fixed in the next patch or maybe the one after it, them taking a week to reply on a forum is not really something I have a lot of concern about as it is something that they probably knew about before posts even started coming on the forums.

Bounder!
May-19-2014, 05:55
It might be frustrating but it's hardly a game breaking bug imo. The game is still in development - having just moved from alpha to beta. Bugs are introduced and later squashed (hopefully) during the development phase of pretty much any game; this often continues once a game is released as developers continue to work on the "finished product". Like it or not, it's the way the games industry is. I bought into BoS like I did DCS - to support the development of new ww2 flight sims. They might not be perfect, both having pros and cons but they are the future. I've not been overly impressed by BoS so far, but I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it will come good with time. Flight sims are a real niche with a very small community and whilst we should have fun discussing and we should ask tough questions, I think we should also be patient and give them time. I still think it's a real shame that Cliffs wasn't given the time and support it needed after release. I'm not saying anyone is attacking BoS unfairly (it's great to chat about what's going on, both the pros and cons), just that it's still in development and perhaps it should be judged in time. I do hope BoS will turn out to be a solid game and help to attract new blood and encourage old hands to return.

9./JG52 Ziegler
May-19-2014, 08:36
It might be frustrating but it's hardly a game breaking bug imo. The game is still in development - having just moved from alpha to beta. Bugs are introduced and later squashed (hopefully) during the development phase of pretty much any game; this often continues once a game is realised as developers continue to work on the "finished product". Like it or not, it's the way the games industry is. I bought into BoS like I did DCS - to support the development of new ww2 flight sims. They might not be perfect, both having pros and cons but they are the future. I've not been overly impressed by BoS so far, but I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it will come good with time. Flight sims are a real niche with a very small community and whilst we should have fun discussing and we should ask tough questions, I think we should also be patient and give them time. I still think it's a real shame that Cliffs wasn't given the time and support it needed after release, particularly how certain sections of the sim community attacked Cliffs and gave it such a bad rep that it didn't have a fighting chance - just look at it now, if only, if only...
I do hope BoS will turn out to be a solid game and help to attract new blood to flight sims and encourage old hands to return. I'm not saying anyone is attacking BoS unfairly (it's great to chat about what's going on, both the pros and cons), just that it's still in development and perhaps it should be judged in time.

+1 :thumbsup: Bounder and I might mention that at the moment, if you are flying on line, it actually is pretty insignificant since the map is tiny and you can easily see one airfield from the other at 1k. Here's a tip. If you are flying Blue tak off and and fly about 2 min max towards the sun and you'll see the Red base at 11:00 low. To get home fly away from the sun, etc.. Flying Red :reverse. :) Of course I'm being facisious and offline on the main map it is significant as the map is large and you definately need to be able to navigate. That said 180° out is easy enough to compensate for. :thumbsup:

For me, the FM of the rudder (and to some degree elevators) on the 109's needs fixing. It feels like there's a barn door back there!

ATAG_Colander
May-19-2014, 11:37
The compass was correct. The map was vertically flipped by mistake.

JK :)

ATAG_Snapper
May-19-2014, 11:41
The compass was correct. The map was vertically flipped by mistake.

JK :)

That's bashing! :smash:

:)

kaliber
May-19-2014, 12:42
Very mature of the atag guys to come in and add some fuel to the fire against their own advice. You guys keep saying you don't have a horse in this race and don't care but actions speak much louder than words, I find this very hypocritical of you guys and am disappointed by the comments I've read from a lot of you guys on the subject of bos.

ATAG_Colander
May-19-2014, 12:47
Very mature of the atag guys to come in and add some fuel to the fire against their own advice. You guys keep saying you don't have a horse in this race and don't care but actions speak much louder than words, I find this very hypocritical of you guys and am disappointed by the comments I've read from a lot of you guys on the subject of bos.

I hope you are not thinking I'm "very hypocritical" and feel "disappointed" because the simple and innocent joke I made. If you did, have a beer and re-read it afterwards. You might even find it funny then.

kaliber
May-19-2014, 12:53
I hope you are not thinking I'm "very hypocritical" and feel "disappointed" because the simple and innocent joke I made. If you did, have a beer and re-read it afterwards. You might even find it funny then.

Not you personally (a lot) not all atag members, but your "joke" is a not too subtle dig and is old and played out on this subject. It's atag members beating a dead horse and poking members of your own community in the eye who are fed up with constant bashing of this game both deserved and not.

ATAG_Snapper
May-19-2014, 13:20
Not you personally (a lot) not all atag members, but your "joke" is a not too subtle dig and is old and played out on this subject. It's atag members beating a dead horse and poking members of your own community in the eye who are fed up with constant bashing of this game both deserved and not.

Better make it two beers. For goodness' sake, lighten up!

ATAG_Colander
May-19-2014, 13:47

Ok, let me try others, hopefully one of them is not an "old and played out" one...

The mechanics installed the compass using a magnetized screwdriver which in turn magnetized the screws and are throwing the compass needle out of whack.

or this one:

The map is configured to a particular date/time the map on which a solar flare reached the earth changing momentarily the magnetic poles.

or this one:

The needle is for left hand reading

or this one:

The compass is showing you the direction to run away to.

PS: make it 3 beers.

kaliber
May-19-2014, 14:09
I figured what I said was pointless, thanks for confirming I'm done now.

ATAG_Colander
May-19-2014, 14:46
http://bitsandpieces.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/cant-take-a-joke_small.jpg

Relax m8

startrekmike
May-19-2014, 15:41
At this stage, my number one concern is them getting a FMB out as soon as possible after release, the lack of definitive answers on that is something that is not terribly pleasing but in the end, it is the one case I can find where they were not really clear from the beginning and perhaps should have been since pretty much everyone assumed it would either have the ROF editor or something a bit easier at launch (and not just to a select few).

Still, with that concern in the open, I see this compass bug as just another example of how early access can often be taken the wrong way by the average end-user, as someone who has created everything from musical recordings to furniture, it is not unusual for a project to look disorganized, sometimes you need to wait until a bunch of key (and sometimes not immediately noticeable) elements are ready before other things can be added on top of them, sometimes things can get messed up during the coarse of creation that you fix as you go, this compass bug is exactly that kind of thing, a byproduct of normal development.

Chat about such bugs is going to happen but I will admit that (as I said before), the OP making a post on this rather minor bug and showing indignation at the developers for not publicly addressing the bug for a week does give the perception of one who is trying to make mountains out of molehills.

Hopefully things come together near the end of it's development and we get a far more accurate picture of the final product, bugs are going to crop up, sometimes added content or newly implemented features can break already working elements, that is how software development goes, there is no need to place these small things under microscopes until it is clear that the bulk of development and bug testing is over.

ATAG_Colander
May-19-2014, 15:45
Now talking seriously...

I understand that the compass thingy is a small bug but...
I also understand the frustration when a small bug that should be as easy to fix as adding 180 to the degrees is not fixed promptly.

I guess what I'm saying is that both sides are partly right and there is no reason why one side can't accept the others point of view and meet in the middle.

ATAG_Colander
May-19-2014, 15:52
Back to non-seriously

LuseKofte
May-19-2014, 16:04
EDIT: Good one Colander. I agree we should take it easy , I choose not to attempt any joke on this one :recon:

Old_Canuck
May-19-2014, 23:43
Did you hear the one about the compass who didn't get the point? [extends wrists] Ok Snapper - cuff me - I'll go peacefully.

ATAG_Snapper
May-19-2014, 23:55
Did you hear the one about the compass who didn't get the point? [extends wrists] Ok Snapper - cuff me - I'll go peacefully.

Nah, not me, O.C. My thinking has come around 180 degrees on this.

Skoshi_Tiger
May-20-2014, 07:01
Come on guys,

It really is a simple fix, just stick this on the corner of your monitor!

JG4_sKylon
May-20-2014, 07:11
Come on guys,

It really is a simple fix, just stick this on the corner of your monitor!

roflmao

ATAG_Colander
May-20-2014, 08:40
You are not taking this with the degrees of seriousness required by the topic.

Hood
May-20-2014, 14:35
Now talking seriously...

I understand that the compass thingy is a small bug but...
I also understand the frustration when a small bug that should be as easy to fix as adding 180 to the degrees is not fixed promptly.

I guess what I'm saying is that both sides are partly right and there is no reason why one side can't accept the others point of view and meet in the middle.

Like AI 109s lawn-darting?

Tee-hee

The frustration is over a week to acknowledge a problem, not to fix it. The reaction to that was pretty unbelievable I'd say and there isn't really any middle ground on that. It's a bug. It needs fixing. It'll be fixed. Weeee we can all relax.

Hood

Old_Canuck
May-20-2014, 14:48
Good point. The same company owns both games right?

Tee-hee

The frustration is over a week to acknowledge a problem, not to fix it. The reaction to that was pretty unbelievable I'd say and there isn't really any middle ground on that. It's a bug. It needs fixing. It'll be fixed. Weeee we can all relax.

Hood

Hood
May-21-2014, 06:11
Good point. The same company owns both games right?

Different companies as far as I know.

Hood

ATAG_Colander
May-21-2014, 10:44

Oh I wish fixing the lawn dart bug (and all the other bugs in Clod) was as easy as adding 180 to a variable. Anyway, the lawn darting was a feature, not a bug :)

Hood
May-21-2014, 12:58
Aha good one Colander.

Hood

LuseKofte
May-21-2014, 15:53
On the lighter side , mind you all. All these topics in this section tend to end in a CLOD vs BOS discussion. And as far as I can see there are really not anything to compare. Even with bigger maps and dedicated servers CLOD and BOS is going to be totally different on how to be played.
So what we get left then is everyones subjective opinion. For me this is a good thing.
I need a change once in a while.
I find the bugs left in CLOD as less important, but ok if its repaired .