PDA

View Full Version : Black six update January 3rd 2012

ATAG_Striker
Feb-03-2012, 06:50
Good morning gentlemen!

Another quick update today. As promised, were going to show a few more screenshots of the I-16 damage model. Were also doing another community Q&A.

Were working on the patch and the sequel same as before. A more detailed description of the process can be found in our last weeks update.

Tune in next week for a German bomber, ground units, and video footage of an unexpected new feature.

1. Will the new graphics engine have improved SLI/Crossfire performance? SLI currently gives minimal frames per second increase for many players and can introduce stutters.
Quote:
Id rather not say anything at all until we have final code with verifiable benchmarks.

2. To dev team regarding the SpeedTree technology. We all know the problems with them: shimmering, LOD changes and what not. I scoured thru SpeedTree forums and saw similar issues with trees and also solutions. Add that there are new versions of it etc. So my question is that has dev team worked with SpeedTree Inc and using newer version and tools? Can anything be done with trees?
Quote:
The code we use for trees has very little in common with stock SpeedTree technology. I doubt you would find any other game that uses SpeedTree in quite the same way we do. So while it may seem that were experiencing common problems, we usually cannot use common solutions.
If you thought that we could just install a patch from the internet or insert a few lines of code from a forum and voila, better trees, I wish it was this easy.
I also have to add that our project currently has a lot more pressing problems than shimmering trees, many of which have to be solved by the same people who can improve on trees. Well get there when we get there.

3. Do you have any plans to enable 6DOF vision in the bombardier's seat? Bombing without the horizontal stabilizer in the Blenheim is hard enough and 6DOF here would help a lot.
Quote:
The bombardiers seat on the Blenheim does have limited 6DOF in the normal (non-zoomed) mode. The idea is, while youre looking for the target, you can look around and so on. Once you lean in, thats it, youre looking through the sights and theres no use fidgeting.
We talked this over amongst ourselves. Perhaps were missing something how would 6DOF help while youre looking through the sight?

4. Do you plan to expand (or explain) server settings for client control? Currently a dedicated server only has the ability set netspeed and turn VAC on/off through the [Net] code but there is no options to control the clients connected. This is resulting in exploitation.
For reference, some of the relevant IL-2 settings are checkServerTimeSpeed, checkClientTimeSpeed, socksHost, checkTimeSpeedDifferense, checkTimeSpeedInterval, farMaxLagTime, nearMaxLagTime, cheaterWarningDelay, cheaterWarningNum.
Quote:
Not in the upcoming patch for sure.

5. Have you considered a formal bug tracking system that the community can get involved in? It is difficult to tell what bugs the devs are/are not aware of at the moment since the bug threads do not get feedback.
Quote:
Sorry, we have no technical capabilities to set up a public database, or resources to maintain and update it.
A community-run database however would not be a terrible thing at all!

6. Oleg didn't promise, he just alluded to the hypothetical suspect of the probable but unconfirmed existence of occasional glints from distant planes' canopies, and only in the version of the game compiled at the time of his propositions. Now, can we have those reflections again?
Quote:
I might probably allude to the hypothetical possibility that this feature might or might not eventually make it into the game.

7. Will the Russian aircraft be modelled historically in terms of equipment? For example most Russian fighter aircraft (especially early war) had only a crudely painted gun sight. Radios were usually removed to save weight as the quality was poor and often they were useless. Except of course with the GIAP regiments who had access to the best aircraft and equipment.
Quote:
Well have to disappoint you somewhat in that historically early-war Guards regiments flew the same aircraft as everybody else, the only difference being the monthly paycheck.
But yes of course, we do plan to model all aircraft and their systems with full attention to historical realism.

8. Are you planning to return to the reflections on aircraft surfaces as shown in this video?
http://youtu.be/Ye_VY1aV3Zg
Quote:
These exact same reflections you see are there today, just toned down.

9. Are you planning to fully support force-feedback joysticks such as MS FF2, which are currently not supported the game?
Quote:
We are using standard DirectX drivers to interface with controllers. Chances are, if youre using an ancient joystick model discontinued in 2003, its 10-year-old drivers made for a different OS and a different DX version will glitch.
This is no different than if you were having graphic glitches trying to run CoD on a 10-year-old card.
We have absolutely no plans to hack dedicated support for individual peripherals. Weve never done that in the past. Well just go insane if we do that.

10. Will there be a closed beta for the next project?
Quote:
Of course.

11. Are you planningto make different octane fuels an option for the plane load out?
Quote:
Not for Cliffs of Dover.

12. Are you planning a working airmass model that affects aircraft, including propwash etc?
Quote:
Yes, its one of the major features thats been continuously put on the backburner for years. Gotta have it.

See you later!

Oh, completely forgot a tiny detail.
Benchmarks on the BETA version of the new graphics.
Testing FPS on the first British campaign mission. Max details.
Old graphics 74 FPS average. New graphics 134 FPS average.
i7-870, 4Gb RAM, GeForce GTX 570

ATAG_Snapper
Feb-03-2012, 07:54
Thanks for posting this here, Striker.

Other than the fps increase which is mentioned as an after thought, I see a lot of what they can't do/won't do and very little else. Am I missing something here?

ATAG_Striker
Feb-03-2012, 08:02
yes for one a bug data base resources come on it just takes a office person to run this ! and the explained of vac lol. this was not very helpful update just bunch nonsense of them not giving alot of info out.

ATAG_Snapper
Feb-03-2012, 08:16
Thanks, Striker. Was reading all the "thank you's" over at 1C and I was wondering "Uh, for what, exactly?" LOL

Dutch
Feb-03-2012, 08:16
1) No comment

2) No

3) No

4) No

5) No

6) No Comment

7) YES

8) No

9) No

10) YES

11) No

12) Yes

The reference to BETA fps results is ok. Other than that it's another 'what you ask for is silly and we're not going to tell you anything' type update.

ATAG_Snapper
Feb-03-2012, 08:23
Good summary, Dutch. Refreshingly to the point. Unbelievable. :eek: (and I'm normally a very positive guy! If Snapper calls BS, then you KNOW it's BS!!!! :laugh1 )

Doc
Feb-03-2012, 09:07
Wow an unexpected new feature! :thumbsup:

335th_GRAthos
Feb-03-2012, 09:11
But this is worthwhile the update:
Without sli,

Awesome! This is more than I could expect.
They just need to fix the airplane bugs (flight model and airplane functionality) and we have it!

:thumbsup:

~S~

ATAG_Snapper
Feb-03-2012, 09:17
Very true, Athos. This is major, to be sure. What I'm hoping is that this will reduce the frame rate drops some of us get in low dogfights over land, and possibly fix the memory leak -- although no mention was made.

Gotta look at the bright side. :Grin:

Dutch
Feb-03-2012, 10:57
It's just filtered through to my feeble brain that they're going to show off a 'German Bomber' next week.

Just what we needed. Not a flyable Wellington for 'Cliffs', but another German Bomber, on top of the six bomb carriers Blue already have.

Granted, it may be another AI bomber, but even so........

Sheesh.

Doc
Feb-03-2012, 11:12
It's just filtered through to my feeble brain that they're going to show off a 'New German Bomber' next week.

Just what we needed. Not a flyable Wellington for 'Cliffs', but another German Bomber, on top of the six bomb carriers Blue already have.

Granted, it may be another AI bomber, but even so........

Sheesh.

it would be so awesome to have a Wellington available to fly.

ATAG_Knuckles
Feb-03-2012, 12:44
I thought I understood they were DONE introducing any new flyable aircraft in COD.

My contention is as long as the Beaufighter was a flyable aircraft i IL-2 why not a simple upgrade ????

Knuckles

actually I would even have a go at a Whitley at this point

Knuckles

Dutch
Feb-03-2012, 13:03
Yes they are done Knuckles, in fact they said that 'one more flyable for Cliffs means one less for the sequel'.

Fair enough, but if the 'German Bomber' for the sequel is flyable, as far as I'm concerned they could've done without it, as five flyable German a/c currently in the game can carry bombs, all of which went on to Barbarossa in June '41, although they've also hinted that the sequel is no longer 'Battle for Moscow', so it could be a much later bomber.

But the time they've spent on this 'German Bomber' could've been used for a flyable Wellington (or your Beaufighter) for Cliffs, is my 'beef'.

But as I've said, the 'German Bomber' could be AI only. But if that's the case, which bomber could it be? We already have AI Dorniers (rummages in bookcase for a look).

Unless it's simply a later model with a new paintjob, but that wouldn't really be news.

[FFCW]Urizen
Feb-04-2012, 19:17
Oh, completely forgot a tiny detail.

almost 90% improvement in average fps? sounds too good to be true. i am a little sceptical here. and no mention whether the memory leak has been fixed or not.
nothing really substantial in this "update", at least we got a lil bit of swiss cheese.