PDA

View Full Version : Help with Spitfire controls

apoll
May-19-2014, 09:43
Hello. Fairly new to the latest patch, and trying to take off in the Spitfire. Crashed many times: the plane veers to the left, I apply right rudder, and it veers to the right, left..veers off centre, and I'm all over the place...the wing drops...the nose tips..and..boom. It's over. One thing that does not appear to work is that I am not generating much speed. I wonder if I have the mixture full rich? I have it mapped to a joystick button: up is full rich, back is lean. But it does not move in the cockpit. Even when I place the mouse pointer over the lever, it turns to a hand, but it will not grab and move it. I appear to have it mapped correctly. Why won't the mixture lever move? Is this a bug? Note that the pitch lever and throttle is no problem; they move just fine. Just can't get the mixture to move. Why? Any ideas? Full rich I'd forward? Or back? Seems, according to some vids I watched, that the mixture lever is forward. In others, it is back. ???

Thanks.

Apoll

ATAG_Frankenstien
May-19-2014, 09:55
Hi Apoll and welcome
The mixture is attatched to the throttle you can't select anything till the throttle is advanced, as a general rule leave the mixture alone it's set to auto rich you won't need to lean it unlesss you are planning a long flight.
You have to be pretty quick on the rudder to catch the swing but smaller movements seem to help and keeping the throttle low to start with till you are stabilised also will help. I'm sure one of the instructors will be along shortly to help further.
Try to take off on the active runway into wind.

Franky

ATAG_Dave
May-19-2014, 09:58
Hello. Fairly new to the latest patch, and trying to take off in the Spitfire. Crashed many times: the plane veers to the left, I apply right rudder, and it veers to the right, left..veers off centre, and I'm all over the place...the wing drops...the nose tips..and..boom. It's over. One thing that does not appear to work is that I am not generating much speed. I wonder if I have the mixture full rich? I have it mapped to a joystick button: up is full rich, back is lean. But it does not move in the cockpit. Even when I place the mouse pointer over the lever, it turns to a hand, but it will not grab and move it. I appear to have it mapped correctly. Why won't the mixture lever move? Is this a bug? Note that the pitch lever and throttle is no problem; they move just fine. Just can't get the mixture to move. Why? Any ideas? Full rich I'd forward? Or back? Seems, according to some vids I watched, that the mixture lever is forward. In others, it is back. ???

Thanks.

Apoll

If you are flying RAF fighters as you appear to be you do not need to touch the mixture - it is already set at full rich which is where you want it 99.99% of the time. The lever in the cockpit appears fully back as it were when full rich - its not the most intuitive part of this game - I had exactly the same problems when I first started.

The latest patch has wind modelled which make take offs difficult until you get used to it. When learning I would suggest make sure you are taking off into the wind - easiest way to do that is to line up on the runway so that the yellow boards are facing you. Assuming you then have 100% radiator open and 100% pitch set DONT just go to 100% throttle! Increase it gradually, I go 25% to get it rolling, quickly increase to around 45% and let the speed build then only go to 100% once I have good lick of speed up. You will find this helps reduce all the torque (& other ) effects you have been fighting with the rudder. You still have to counter them with the rudder (& sometimes ailerons too) of course but its less violent and much easier to control.

Hope that helps and good luck :thumbsup:

Dave

tom.doniphon
May-19-2014, 10:17
About the lack of power, one thing that happened to me. When you spawn in your plane the brakes are "on" by default. Press "B", you will see the message "Wheel brakes 100%" or something similar, then "Wheel brakes 0%" when release the key and you're ready to go.

ATAG_Lewis
May-19-2014, 13:44
Welcome to the community and forums apoll....~S~

Checkout the 'Beginners Guide'...for info and tips...It should save you a heap of time in getting up to scratch.....and its a really fun learning curve anyway..

Beginners Guide Link Here (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5058&p=52711)

Also try youtube for startup procedures on all the aircraft...

Try using full aileron opposite....This was the key for me....also the brakes thing that tom mentioned above may be a big factor...We all struggle with it apoll..you are not alone..

Also try the 'Easy allied CEM for New players' once you are airbourne..

Easy Allied CEM for New Players (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9111&p=100118#post100118)

Any questions then you've come to the right place....

Good to have you with us buddy...and remember its all about the Fun!!!

...lew...

ATAG_Snapper
May-19-2014, 15:05
It's hard to add to all the excellent tips above! :salute:

I fly Spits all the time and I add in full right rudder trim prior to take off (and neutral elevator trim). In the Spitfires the trim animations in the cockpit were never done, but they still function by mouse, keyboard or joystick assignments, or, as I do, axis assignments on my CH Quadrant. As you lift off and bring your wheels up, reduce your pitch from 100% (= 3000 rpms) down to ~80% ( = 2750 rpms), then adjust both your rudder and elevator trims to neutralize your joystick ie hands off flying. You can leave your radiator pushed away from you at full 100% open and, providing you keep your climbing speed to 160 mph IAS you'll be fine. You can close your rad to 75% open and, adjusting your trims to maintain 160 mph, you'll find your climb rate will increase at that speed and your temps will be fine (95 C oil, 110 C glycol).

Good luck!

:)

apoll
May-19-2014, 19:36
Wow! Thanks for all of you who replied. Great response, and from legends too! Ok, got all that. I bet I have left the brakes on, for one thing. And getting the rudder right is also important..I must have crashed 40 times trying to take off yesterday. I still need to sort out why I can 't move the mixture lever, nor, actually, does the trim wheel seem to move. Should it move, in the cockpit, the trim lever? Anyway, fantastic patches...I held off fir a long time buying this game because it was such a let down...didn't want to reward such a tardy effort, after all the hype. But these patches from the airtacticalassualt group are simply amazing. I am playing it on a Dell 30' monitor, and it is a great experience. The sky colour seems just right and the cockpits are almost photo realistic... I'm in Australia, and I wonder if there are any on this timeframe to provide done training? Anyway, fantastic response to my question; I'm off to practice...

Apoll

apoll
May-19-2014, 19:38
Ah...Snapper...just reread your reply...I see the answer to my question to the animation question. Thanks.

Apoll

ATAG_Snapper
May-19-2014, 20:26
Hi Apoll,

Leave the mixture in its fully back position. That position is Auto Rich and is accurately modelled (thanks IvanK :salute: ) to the real Spitfires and Hurricanes. There is a mechanical linkage between the mixture lever and the throttle which the real aircraft had and is accurately portrayed in this sim. As you've found, you can't physically move the mixture lever forward until the throttle lever itself is moved considerably forward first.

Rolls Royce designed their Merlin III and XX engines to run optimally well at all altitudes in the Auto Rich position. Takeoffs, landings, climbs, dives, normal cruise, COMBAT, are all to be done in Auto Rich. Only in the extreme cases of requiring to be aloft for extended periods of time and/or distances should the fully forward position of Auto Lean be considered. Ensure that you are at the desired altitude in level flight, throttle adjusted to give less than 0 lbs of manifold pressure, and prop pitch adjusted to give about 1800 - 2000 rpms. Watch your temps carefully. At the first hint of enemy sighting, pull your mixture lever back to Auto Rich, then increase your prop pitch to give 2800 rpms and your throttle fully forward to 100% -- and to hell with gas economy.

Personally, I never go to Auto Lean. I spawn at an inland airfield, fill up with 100% fuel, climb hard, and I'm at 22 angels by the time I've reached the English Channel. My intention is to hunt and kill, not get bounced and die. :D

apoll
May-19-2014, 21:21
Thanks to all. I did it! Finally managed to get airborne. I had not released the brakes. And the info that Snapper gave re mixture was very useful. Now...if I can survive my first combat....without spinning to the ground or stalling it, I'll be happy...

Apoll

ATAG_Torian
May-22-2014, 05:38
Hi apoll,
I'm in the Northern Territory and would be happy to assist in some 1 on 1 training.
I work shiftwork but get on fairly frequently so keep an eye out for me in TeamSpeak.

apoll
May-23-2014, 01:24
ATAG_Torian, thanks for that. I need to get myself onto the server...never done it before, or used Teamspeak, so quite a jump for me...

apoll

ATAG_Torian
May-23-2014, 03:15
I need to get myself onto the server...never done it before, or used Teamspeak, so quite a jump for me...

apoll

It really is the faster way to learn. Hooking up with an experienced pilot will save u a lot of time and frustration.
There are always quiet airfields u can spawn in at and we can go sightseeing while u get the hang of the basics.
Don't be too daunted by TeamSpeak. It's not that hard to set up as long as u have a working headset. It makes communications far more efficient and gets u up the learning curve in pretty short order.