equinox5alpha
May-29-2014, 09:40
First video on YT, landing P-51 (DCS) after a few training sessions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V1tlMOd4L0

Not perfect but I have done a lot worse :D

I love flying this Mustang :)

TWC_SLAG
May-29-2014, 13:26
My only criticism (constructive, btw) is that your approach is not steep enough. You are doing what is called "dragging it in". Turn final at about 1000 feet (Mustangs sink well) after turning base with the approach end of the runway 45 degrees behind you.

Other than that, looking good.

badfinger

equinox5alpha
May-29-2014, 14:00
Thanks badfinger for the feedback and no worries for criticism.

After several disastrous attempts of standard approaches, I went for the 'flat' option (as opposed to steep/standard). Indeed the Mustang sinks well (very well actually...).

I noticed it is also easier to maintain a good grip on the bird when reducing throttle for the flare by doing so.

Actually I was starting my descent before turning to final. So I will try your advice and stay at pattern alt for base leg.

Love this DCS module, it is the closer from real flying I have experienced

Foul Ole Ron
May-29-2014, 15:21
It's a good idea to keep your rpm up as well. It looks like you had your rpm down at 1500 during your approach but it's better if you keep it up in the 2500-3000 range. This will actually help you bleed off speed and makes it easier if you have to put on the power in case you're not happy with the final approach and want to go around.

equinox5alpha
May-29-2014, 16:25
Thanks Foul Ole Ron, it makes perfect sense keeping rpm up if going around.
That's why I like ATAG community. You can always find very good advice ;-)

Tks

Envoyé de mon GT-N5110 en utilisant Tapatalk

TWC_SLAG
May-29-2014, 17:11
Thanks badfinger for the feedback and no worries for criticism.

After several disastrous attempts of standard approaches, I went for the 'flat' option (as opposed to steep/standard). Indeed the Mustang sinks well (very well actually...).

I noticed it is also easier to maintain a good grip on the bird when reducing throttle for the flare by doing so.

Actually I was starting my descent before turning to final. So I will try your advice and stay at pattern alt for base leg.

Love this DCS module, it is the closer from real flying I have experienced

I usually enter the pattern at 2000ft, slow down to speed for gear and flaps, this starts the descent so that you are at ~1000ft turning on to final. Control speed with elevator/trim and descent rate with throttle.

Cheers,

badfinger