PDA

View Full Version : Mid-air collisions

ATAG_Torian
Feb-11-2012, 10:13
The last couple of times I've flown I've had a mid-air collision with a 109 in my Spit
resulting in total obliteration of my plane but no damage whatsoever to the 109s.
Just wondering how u guys who fly 109s on a regular basis fair in collisions?
Obviously that part of the games DM is totally porked but I'm just wondering if it's
more one sided or not. To have ur plane vaporized and the other guy flys on
business as usual is a real WTH moment. I mean the 109s didn't even get a kill
recorded for them, just showed me as crashed.
I'm wondering if some algorithm allows the plane with the most "e" to survive?
Anyway, add it to the litany of needed fixes.

ATAG_Snapper
Feb-11-2012, 10:27
+1

This is "without prejudice" -- no thoughts of deliberate ramming, just a Damage Modelling question. I've experienced the same as Torian. It can happen in a number of situations -- scissoring manuevres, closing on a 109 too quickly, head-ons where neither side "chickens", descending upon a momentarily unseen 109 under your snout in a dogfight, etc etc. All are "ooops" moments, from my perspective, anyway. But wondering if 109 pilots experience the same instant obliteration while the RAF fighter continues on unscathed.

Dutch
Feb-11-2012, 10:41
I also wonder about this. Only last week I was above and behind another Red Team player who was also on teamspeak (I won't mention his name!) who announced his intention to deliberately ram a Ju88 as he was out of ammo.

He put his nose down and disappeared in a ball of flame. The 88 was unscathed and carried on regardless until I shot him down with my guns.

On the other hand, I seem to recall a 110 colliding with me in a Blenheim, he lost a wing and fell into the sea, and I carried on regardless.

But it would be nice to have some examples from the Blue perspective. :inq:

ATAG_Colander
Feb-11-2012, 10:48
I have experienced the same flying a 109 and hitting both bombers and fighters. I have the feeling that the one that "hits" is the one that receives all the damage while the other plane flies "undamaged".

Ohms
Feb-11-2012, 12:01
I have been in the past accused of ramming because I flew on and the other plane crashed,so I do not think it is just a red thing but goes both ways.As we all know CLoD is badly broken game which is a hell of a lot fun to play even in its present state.Waiting for the patch which I think they are calling Battle of Moscow.

Doc
Feb-11-2012, 14:26
I'm out of ammo and been looking for you for 30 minutes. Bologna. You are going down.

335th_GRAthos
Feb-11-2012, 14:44
The last couple of times I've flown I've had a mid-air collision with a 109 in my Spit resulting in total obliteration of my plane but no damage whatsoever to the 109s.
Just wondering how u guys who fly 109s on a regular basis fair in collisions?

Exactly the same experience from the other side: mid-air collision with a Spit in my 109 resulting in total obliteration of my plane but no damage whatsoever to the Spits. :laugh1

Since I always avoid head ons.

Against Bombers I had mixed experience:
I have destroyed Blenheims by hitting them (and I kept flying)
I have been destroyed by Wellingtons (and they kept flying)

Never managed to understand the logic behind crashes.

~S~

Jimbop
Feb-11-2012, 15:57
I'm out of ammo and been looking for you for 30 minutes. Bologna. You are going down.

Lol. I hit a 110 with a Blenheim the other day (accidentally - I was in "fighter mode" and forgot about the handling) and we both went down. I've seen an '88 fly on unharmed though. Just another thing for the patch I hope.

ATAG_Torian
Feb-11-2012, 18:58
Ok, so it looks like it can go either way and I guess just depends on whatever side
of the porked algorithm your plane is on at the time. Never really saw that sorta
problem in 1946. Mid airs pretty much see both of u goin down every time. You'd
have thought a game 6 yrs in development woulda had that well and truly worked
out. I sure hope the devs are well aware of it.

ATAG_EvangelusE
Feb-13-2012, 22:36
There are many accounts of pilots intenionally ramming during WW2 - I think one BOB pilot was actually decorated for doing so but it happens in game for all sorts of reasons rather than intentional. I think the damage modelling depends on the contact but I get the impression that sometimes its the faster plane that suffers the least damage in wing collisions. I have sliced a BFs wing and a Bombers rear end off off in a fast B&Z as I went past it. Other times its 'Kaboom'!

ATAG_Colander
Feb-13-2012, 22:52
Just speculating but maybe it depends on the durability of the parts that collide.

For example:
If the Hurry mid wing durability is 150 and the 109 is 100, then...
150-100 = The hurri will end up with 50 points left
100-50 = The 109 will have -50.

In other words, 109 wing falls off and hurri wing stays in place.

Colander.

III./ZG76_Keller
Feb-14-2012, 15:20
I had a collision with a spit last night in my 110; I lost all my left wing controls as well as a chunk of the wing, and he lost his left aileron. Both aircraft should have had their left wings completely disintegrate as our fuselages passed right by each other.

So, out of curiosity; in a situation like this where two planes are basically playing chicken, who rammed who?

Dutch
Feb-14-2012, 15:29
So, out of curiosity; in a situation like this where two planes are basically playing chicken, who rammed who?

I've always gone by the 'it takes two to tango' theory myself. How the game decides is anyone's guess. I'd say we need a return to 1946 values for it, whatever.

But looking at colander's damage/vulnerability thingy, there's probably something to do with that going on, and it's obviously set wrongly/badly, or somehow can't be set up to be fair on all eventualities.

Maybe. :inq:

Edit: Oh, he's already said that, sorry!