PDA

View Full Version : Server Authentication Failed message

Doc
Feb-11-2012, 19:52
I had this issue before and I opened a ticket with Steam when I could not get into the server. It took a week for them to answer so I cannot verify this works. If you have this issue and it works please let me know your experience.

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Here are some steps to help troubleshoot your issue.

If you are running Steam on a PC:

Please exit Steam and go to the folder called C:\Program Files\Steam\ (this is the default location for a Steam installation - if you set a different installation directory, you will need to browse to it).

Delete all of the files in this folder except:

The \Steamapps\ folder and Steam.exe (this file is listed as an application and features the black and white Steam logo)

Restart your computer.

Then, launch Steam.exe from within the Steam installation folder, and not from a pre-existing shortcut.

With Steam running, re-test the original issue.

Note: This process will not affect your currently installed games.

If the issue persists, make sure your network is optimized for Steam:

If you are running Steam on a MAC:

Please exit Steam and go to the folder Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Steam

Delete all of the files in this folder except for SteamApps.

Restart your computer.

Launch Steam and re-test the issue.

Note: This process will not affect your currently installed games.

Note: If you are using Lion please do the following to enable your Library folder:

1. Open Terminal
2. Type chflags nohidden ~/Library
3. Close Terminal

You should see the Library folder available through the Go menu on the menu bar while holding down the option key.

If the issue persists, make sure your network is optimized for Steam:

Title: Troubleshooting Network Connectivity
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1456-EUDN-2493

Additionally, disable any programs from this guide to further test the issue:

Title: Programs Which May Interfere with Steam
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9828-SFLZ-9289

ATAG_Snapper
Feb-13-2012, 08:00
Thanks for posting this, Doc. Catseye had this very problem the other night, I pointed him to your post above, and it appears it got him back on the ATAG server again! :dthumb:

MajorBorris
Feb-14-2012, 13:26
Me too!

I will never hit the break button again:eek:

LG1.Farber
Feb-25-2012, 16:13
I found another solution.

Close cliffs of dover,

start another steam game and quit,

restart cliffs of dover and reconnect...

Worked twice for me tonight... :dthumb:

ATAG_Bliss
Feb-25-2012, 17:58
That's pretty cool, Farber.

I'll test that out as well. Maybe one of these days we can finally stop having to restart the server!

k39cocoa
Nov-29-2014, 01:47
Hey Gents,

I have this freakin' persistent Server Authenitication Failure message.

I've restarted PC, CLOD, Steam serveral times. No joy.
I followed the troubleshooting steps provided by steam. No joy.

I can join other servers though.

I remember I had this problem before and it was easily solved by running an other Steam program. The problem is, that I have no other programs installed at the moment.

I hope that with a new server coming up maybe I can join. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Cocoa

ATAG_Lolsav
Nov-29-2014, 08:18
kokoa join any other server than ATAG. Afte that disconnect from the server and try to reconnect to ATAG. Seems Steam only needs to know where are you. Once it sees you on other Server, no matter if its on Cliffs game or any other, it will allow you to connect to where you want. The problem is when steam doesnt know where you are and somehow identifies you as the same guy who is running the same game, using the same key, on a specific server. Once it sees you elsewhere it will resume to normal situation.

k39cocoa
Dec-01-2014, 11:07
kokoa join any other server than ATAG. Afte that disconnect from the server and try to reconnect to ATAG. Seems Steam only needs to know where are you. Once it sees you on other Server, no matter if its on Cliffs game or any other, it will allow you to connect to where you want. The problem is when steam doesnt know where you are and somehow identifies you as the same guy who is running the same game, using the same key, on a specific server. Once it sees you elsewhere it will resume to normal situation.

Thanks Lolsav,

Finally the map was changed on the server, and/or I downloaded a tiny little Steam software and launched it. I am in again. Still strange enough, that the official steam support troubleshooting guide turned out to be worthless. Actually steam started to come out from my ears because of the anger :devilish: !

7./JG26_SMOKEJUMPER
Feb-19-2015, 19:00
Boooooo, same thing is happening to me right now.

I can get into to other servers. I tried joining another steam game. Deleted cache...... Everything still no joy.

I suppose I'll need to wait for map flip. :(

7./JG26_SMOKEJUMPER
Feb-20-2015, 20:11
WARNING ON THESE FIXES

I hadrecently done a fresh Win7 install and one of these fixes reduced in game FPS in half and I got stutters.

I reinstalled CloD and messed around with stuff to fix it and nothing. This is literally the day after a fresh OS and game install with an empty SSD. I had wiped out 50% of performance trying to get Steam to think I was out of the server. In had even downloaded a free game off Steam. I played some insurgency, idled another CloD for 30 minutes nothing would get me back in. Only the map flip got me back in only for me to find I had destroyed a brand new operating system install on a new SSD be dicking around and wiping stuff out.

Last night I formatted and started over. I'm now back at over 100fps almost steady with flak again. I've screwed my computers up often enough for gaming that I'm pretty quick at starting over but if you are not quick at it I would advise against any of the above.

Start deleting at your own risk. Next time I'm just going to wait out the map flip and never ever exit out of a loading screen to the server ever again.

Smokejumper out.

Winger
Jun-13-2015, 11:05
I have the problem right now as well.
Tried to join other server and then back to ATAG - doesnt work.

Baffin
Jun-13-2015, 20:09
I had this happen a couple of years ago... Steam advised that was locked out because I had attempted a Steam restart while already logged on to steam. They read it as an attempt by someone else to use my account/password. I had to wait eight hours, during which time the steam system reset my account. Anyway, the next day I was able to log on normally.

Go figure.:doh: