PDA

View Full Version : Joystick or Mouse?

hnbdgr
Jun-10-2014, 10:36
I came across this guy explaining a lot about controllers, thought it might be worthwhile to post it here:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/25309/controls-demystified-sc-edition-pt-i

And as per title - will you be using your joystick or a mouse or a different controller? What do you think of the aiming at the moment?

I read somewhere that the gimbal mounted weapons will be controlled by sight, so eventually I suppose I can get FTNOIR working and kill with looks alone?? :)

badger

ATAG_Freya
Jun-10-2014, 13:53
I just got my x-52 working nice with this, with a g-13 keyboard. I hope I don't have to use the mouse too much! This game will really be nice when headtracking is possible. I'm more interested in the exploration/ commerce / smuggling aspect of gameplay than 'dogfighting', though they'll surely go hand in hand. I hope arena commander isn't their way of buying another two years time till anything more is released!!

MJDixon
Jun-10-2014, 18:50
My intention is to use my Warthog and Pedals for ship control, targeting sensors, weapon firing and countermeasures - TrackIR / Oculus Rift for weapon aiming (with the head tracking gimballed weapon mounts) and VoiceAttack for ship system manipulation.

Here are my current attempts at making a VoiceAttack system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Ai2rHLyMY

Though I've since done away with the Chaff/Flare commands, as it's quicker to just press the Joystick button.

Bait
Jun-11-2014, 03:29
My intention is to use my Warthog and Pedals for ship control, targeting sensors, weapon firing and countermeasures - TrackIR / Oculus Rift for weapon aiming (with the head tracking gimballed weapon mounts) and VoiceAttack for ship system manipulation.

Here are my current attempts at making a VoiceAttack system:

Though I've since done away with the Chaff/Flare commands, as it's quicker to just press the Joystick button.

Ok, that is officially nailed it for me. I have to get in on this game. I didn't back it, but is there still a way to get into it? What will that cost? Do you have a link?

So Cool!

And yes, Joysticks over Mice.

hnbdgr
Jun-11-2014, 03:51
MJDixon, that's pretty impressive! I need to get that working:) have you tried distributing power levers between the 3 subsystems using voice?

Also: I tried using the pedals and whilst I can get them working, it just didn't have the right feel to it, both roll and yaw felt unnatural. I put the roll on my joystick twist axis it seems to be a bit better for me.

MJDixon
Jun-11-2014, 08:47
Ok, that is officially nailed it for me. I have to get in on this game. I didn't back it, but is there still a way to get into it? What will that cost? Do you have a link?

So Cool!

And yes, Joysticks over Mice.

For the game you need to get a pledge package, I think the cheapest one atm is the Aurora MR at $30, and to play it now you'd need to get seperate Alpha Access, which is $5, both of which can be bought from the Pledge Store, under Single-Ship Packages and Module Passes respectively:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge

At the moment the only ships that are usable in the Alpha are the Anvil Aerospace F7A Hornet (what I fly in the video), the Roberts Space Industries Aurora (the basic ship) and the Origin Jumpworks 300i - as such if you buy a different ship you get a 'loan' of one of those three ships to use until yours is added to the Alpha (I actually have an Anvil Aerospace F7C-M Super Hornet, which is close enough.)

As for the voice activated stuff I use in the video, that's a program called VoiceAttack, which has a free version with limited total commands, or a full version for $8:

http://www.voiceattack.com/purchase.aspx

Hope that helps.

MJDixon, that's pretty impressive! I need to get that working:) have you tried distributing power levers between the 3 subsystems using voice?

Also: I tried using the pedals and whilst I can get them working, it just didn't have the right feel to it, both roll and yaw felt unnatural. I put the roll on my joystick twist axis it seems to be a bit better for me.

Thanks, yeah I've managed to set it up to control the power sub-systems, which is shown from 1:45 - 2:20 in the video, though I got the Avionics and Shield commands the wrong way around, as they seem to be listed incorrectly in the Arena Commander manual, I've fixed that since then. :D

Sometimes it can be a bit tricky, as the menus don't always work the same way every time (probably because it's an alpha) but I'd say it works at least 9 times out of 10.

There seems to be a big debate in Star Citizen between those that use pitch and roll on a joystick, like in a normal Aircraft - and those that use pitch and yaw on a joystick, which seemingly was the main setup on Space games in the 90s - personally I use pitch and roll on the joystick, and yaw on the rudder pedals because I'm a traditionalist (just seems off to me having yaw on a joystick x axis), but with the addition of strafing left/right up/down on the joystick hat switch.

One thing to bear in mind at the moment is that it's very much in Alpha, and although it's pretty stable as far as performance goes (at least it hasn't crashed for me yet), there are a lot of things that need to be updated/changed, for example you can't remap any controls at the moment unless you edit up some text files or use external joystick software such as Thrustmaster T.A.R.G.E.T, and TrackIR isn't implemented yet (though Oculus Rift is, including the head tracked weapons), and the ship thruster modelling and computer control 'flight model' will probably be changed around alot until they get it right.

hnbdgr
Jun-11-2014, 09:31
As for the voice activated stuff I use in the video, that's a program called VoiceAttack, which has a free version with limited total commands, or a full version for $8:

http://www.voiceattack.com/purchase.aspx

That's very helpful thanks, for a moment there I thought that's somehow part of the game lol!

Bait
Jun-11-2014, 11:20
Hope that helps.

Thanks mate. Very helpful indeed. I think I will have to get in on the cheapy level :)

Give it a couple of weeks till I can learn a lot more about it and I think I am in.

Airmailed from Switzerland.

Bait
Jun-19-2014, 05:02
.Here are my current attempts at making a VoiceAttack system:

I have voice attack as well. Grabbed a profile off of reddit. Seems to be okay except for one thing. It has a look command (up down left right) that doesn't seem to work.

Have you managed to get that working? Would you be willing to post your profile for comparison?

Airmailed from Switzerland.