PDA

View Full Version : Trimming Controls - FIXED -

pistolpete
Jun-18-2014, 14:07
Hi all

I`m new to this game and genre but willing to dive into this world :) I tried IL2 1946 then WOP but I wasn`t satisfied with the graphics of the first game and found the simulation mode just strange in the latter one. I feel confident to have found the right simulation game in IL2 CoD. Just stumbling with my first steps here. I followed the noobies guide and thought to be in good position to start but ...

I just can't get the trim controls working for me. I tried free buttons for elevator trim and rudder trim on my joystick. That seemed to have no effect on the Quick mission Spitfire IIa I'm flying. Then I tried some Numpad buttons with the same (no) result. I'm pretty confident that the controls were saved correctly in the confUser.ini under my C:\Users\****\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover - MOD folder. (f.e. Pov90 Joystick+Pov=ruddert_right)

I can see the rudder trim in the cockpit so I'm quite confident that there is rudder trim in the plane I'm flying. :)

Could anyone please help me out what I'm missing here? I hope this wasn't asked 100 times before at least I wasn't able to find a corresponding post.

Thanks a lot for your help!

pistolpete

III./ZG76_Saipan
Jun-18-2014, 14:10
does the spit have rudder trim?

1lokos
Jun-18-2014, 14:18
Spit and Hurri have Rudder and Elevator Trim.

Trim wheels are animated on Hurri cockpit, on Spit no, but in both respond to mouse clicks (and keys/buttons press).

In Bf 109 only adjust the Stabilizer incidence (similar effect to trim tab on elevator).

Sokol1

Muffin
Jun-18-2014, 14:37
Not sure if this is any help but the trim wheel in the spitfire isn't animated so it doesn't turn when you adjust trim.

pistolpete
Jun-18-2014, 14:56
Well I can trim with my mouse in the cockpit, but I guess that most of you would normally use a key mapping for that. My problem is that even though I map a key (f.e. Numpad 1) to that, I still have the old function (f.e. look down left with Numpad 1).

pistolpete
Jun-18-2014, 15:17
I just found out that I'm able to map the trim keys to keys like LEFT or RIGHT, but not to certain buttons on my Thrustmaster HOTAS X or the Numpad. Seems a bit strange, ofc I had to choose the keys that don't work for whatever reason :smash:

thanks for your input anyways

9./JG52_J-HAT
Jun-18-2014, 15:22
In CloD you can map the same key to different commands under the different command options (view, turret, aicraft etc.). You probably have NUM1 in "Views" also, which is causing the conflict.

It may be the same with your hotas. Even though I've had once the game not recognize a single bind to a button (WEP couldn't be mapped to Button 30... go figure). I had to change it manually in the control.ini.

pistolpete
Jun-18-2014, 16:03
Just checked all the mappings again and in category "Pan view" the joystick buttons and the Numpad were indeed mapped. After removing them, it worked fine! For some strange reason I choose 80% of all buttons defined there for testing :grrr: If I could I would mark this topic as solved ! Thanks ATAG_J-HAT :thumbsup:

9./JG52_J-HAT
Jun-18-2014, 17:55
Glad it worked, Pete!

1lokos
Jun-18-2014, 18:14
Well I can trim with my mouse in the cockpit, but I guess that most of you would normally use a key mapping for that. My problem is that even though I map a key (f.e. Numpad 1) to that, I still have the old function (f.e. look down left with Numpad 1).

The "Rule of the Thumb" for controls is:

"In different (controls) category the same key can be use for for different functions (e.g. trim down, look down ;) )
in the same category is need different keys" (e.g. You cant use Keypad #1 for trim up and down - obvious).

Suggestion for trim on keyboard.

Arrow up - trim nose down
Arrow down - trim nose up
Shift+ Arrow up and Shift + Arrow down - reset elevator trim
Arrow left - trim rudder left
Arrow right - trim rudder right
Shift+ Arrow left and Shift + Arrow right - reset rudder trim
Ctrl + Arrow left - trim aileron left
Ctrl + Arrow right - trim aileron right
Alt + Arrow left and Alt + arrow right - reset aileron trim

- For default arrow is set for control aileron/rudder what is totally useless since 99,99% use joystick to this.
- Use modifier (Alt or Ctrl or Shift) plus both keys for trim + and - make easy reset since you are use the same keys for trim (plus modifier).

Sokol1