PDA

View Full Version : Total Skin Noob

Dutch
Feb-18-2012, 11:35
Ok, I confess, I know nothing about skins, apart from how to download and install other people's creations for the old game series.

In last weeks update, the templates were downloadable, so I dutifully downloaded them and they've sat on my desktop since.

Where do I put them? What are they for? And does anyone know where to find a tutorial for making custom skins in the new game? What software/hardware do I need?

Any pointers appreciated!

ChiefRedCloud
Feb-18-2012, 12:10
If my memory serves me right painting a kin for CloD is not much differant than that of 1946 except you use a JPG as the file format. So there should be plenty of video tutorials on how to out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zG3x3VkFVQ

Dutch
Feb-18-2012, 12:14
Thanks Chief, I've seen that one!

But am I supposed to put these 'templates' in there? If so, what for? And how do I create my own skins?

Cheers!

ChiefRedCloud
Feb-18-2012, 12:21
Indeed the templets are just guides for making your own ...... the finished skins go in your folders NOT the templates ...... sorry.:goofy:

III./ZG76_Keller
Feb-18-2012, 17:14
Put the templates in the respective plane folder so you know where they are in the future. The templates are used to show you where the parts are mapped on the skins.

Wolf
Mar-16-2012, 00:46
Hey yall!

I did this skin last year where i wanted to have Chrome exhaust pipes on my spit.. i know WAY COOL ey!

Anyway, got them in and they look totally spanky. One problem. When I load the skin, everthing on these templates load except for the damn exhaust. Where the hell is the dds file for exhaust? anyone.. anyone?

ATAG_Colander
Mar-16-2012, 09:41
Hey yall!

I did this skin last year where i wanted to have Chrome exhaust pipes on my spit.. i know WAY COOL ey!

Anyway, got them in and they look totally spanky. One problem. When I load the skin, everthing on these templates load except for the damn exhaust. Where the hell is the dds file for exhaust? anyone.. anyone?

This might help, although it looks like you already got the position on the texture.
I'll have to look in more detail if is even using the colors of the texture or only the reflection map.

This is how your skin should look:

Colander

Wolf
Mar-16-2012, 22:06
This might help, although it looks like you already got the position on the texture.
I'll have to look in more detail if is even using the colors of the texture or only the reflection map.

This is how your skin should look:

Colander

HEY!!! AWESOME!!! THERE IS MY EXHAUST looks great.

Hope to see it in game. Maybe the new patch will assist that. But I think someone was right in saying that it might be hard coded in the mesh file. That would be a bummer. Took me ages to design and build those babies while at work ;)

Dutch
Mar-16-2012, 22:31
So erm... what is it I do again? :blush!:

ATAG_Knuckles
Mar-17-2012, 09:22
Crystal Clear to me ole Matey !!!! :runaway:

JG26_EZ
Jan-10-2013, 18:56
Heya Dutch

To answer some of your questions...
Templates, like mentioned above, is a layered skin to make skinnig easier. I won't get into what layers are until you actually get a paint program and sit down to do some skinning :).

To skin, you can use programs like Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, Gimp, I'm sure there are more. (Gimp is a free download btw, and I've also seen trial version downloads for PSP9 )