PDA

View Full Version : Team Fusion Update - June 27th 2014 - Effects work + cloudy with a chance of fps :)

Mysticpuma
Jun-27-2014, 07:39
Hi everyone, here we go again then, starting the cycle of working through effects in a bid to get as many frames-per-second as we can while keeping them looking realistic.

In this video you'll see (all are still Work in Progress!!) the new explosion effects, enhanced fire and smoke realism, AA barrel flash, and a few other bits and pieces.

Finally in the video there is other work shown to see if Cloud environments can be enhanced to make flying in overcast possible but using some clever scripting.....but again it's still early days and this could take a considerable amount of time....but early progress is interesting :)

In other news work continues on the new map. Textures are being created and they are huge plates for the map but look amazing. Once these are added the buildings and environmental features will be added to enhance it and make it look like the area it depicts. Currently the detail that is going into it (research on original maps, images (aerial and ground)) is very intense but this is what will make it worth the effort :)

Finally, we are looking at the Bugtracker much more regularly and where we can fix issues we will and if we can't we'll certainly hold them in reserve for if/when we can dig out the code/issue and resolve it. So please enter your bug finding reports on the official Bugtracker which is shown below.

As before, depending on whether we can release news/features, the next update may not be for maybe 2-4 weeks, but we'll certainly keep the updates coming when we can.

Okay, so first the video, then the bugtracker:

Video is here:

https://vimeo.com/99322705

https://vimeo.com/99322705

Bugtracker information:

From the Team Fusion Bugtracker (http://tfbt.nuvturais.de)

The bugtracker (http://tfbt.nuvturais.de/projects/il2clodtf) keeps accumulating data: Since the last published update on May 30th, 12 new users brought the total up to 727 registered users of which 39(+15) have been active since then. We currently have 100(+16) issues (74(+11) bugs and 26(+5) feature requests) of which 2 have already been resolved with patch 4.312 and 8(+3) are currently in progress (http://tfbt.nuvturais.de/projects/il2clodtf/issues?set_filter=1&f[]=status_id&op[status_id]=%3D&v[status_id][]=2&f[]=&c[]=tracker&c[]=status&c[]=priority&c[]=subject&c[]=author&c[]=updated_on&c[]=category&c[]=votes_value&group_by=) to be fixed or implemented.

20 new issues have been raised since the last update, among them are (no judgment implied):
Reported bug #586 (http://tfbt.nuvturais.de/issues/586): "Trees lack collision detection" (In Progress) Feature request #582 (http://tfbt.nuvturais.de/issues/582): "Shooting range" Reported bug #559 (http://tfbt.nuvturais.de/issues/559): "Map: Weird Elevation Near Dieppe"

The issues with the highest (summary) vote currently are:
7: #513 (http://tfbt.nuvturais.de/issues/513): "Damage model: Hit decals missing" 6: #581 (http://tfbt.nuvturais.de/issues/581): "RAF fighter engines incorrectly start cold in Multiplayer" 5: #501 (http://tfbt.nuvturais.de/issues/501): "Spitfire: brakes not stopping the aircraft"

We invite all pilots to participate in the bugtracker either by reporting bugs, requesting features, and/or vote on issues. But before you do anything, please read the guidelines and FAQ here: http://tfbt.nuvturais.de/projects/il2clodtf/boards/4
===

Cheers, MP/TF

ATAG_Deacon
Jun-27-2014, 08:12
To all who are contributing a great thanks!

The clouds at the end of the video are magnificent, and that's an understatement.

:salute:

6./JG26_Warjunkie
Jun-27-2014, 08:40
I looooove it! :)

ATAG_Naz
Jun-27-2014, 09:00
Great stuff as always gentlemen...cant wait!

The 109 losing his wing at 2:56 ... Tree collision or a strategically placed telephone pole? Looked good either way :thumbsup:

:)

LBR=H.Ostermann
Jun-27-2014, 09:02
S!

Nice Team Fusion!

Keep going!

:D

Tvrdi
Jun-27-2014, 09:03
stunning

9./JG52 Ziegler
Jun-27-2014, 09:18
Excellent! The collision with trees and other aircraft are a big deal. No more hiding in trees (what if one has trees turned off?) and secondly and more importent is the aircraft collisions as both are damaged as would be instead of one flying away as if nothing happened as occurs now based on server poling at that instant or however it's determined. :thumbsup:

EG14_Marcast
Jun-27-2014, 09:33
Fantastic! Great effects and a wonderful cloudy sky!

Continu0
Jun-27-2014, 10:13
The 109 losing his wing at 2:56 ... Tree collision or a strategically placed telephone pole? Looked good either way :thumbsup:

:)

Telephone pole, if you look closely...

Mysticpuma
Jun-27-2014, 10:22
Yes, telephone Pole....and that was the Ai did it! I only noticed later when I was reviewing the track....however, TF are working on a way to implement collisions.....still WiP and maybe for another update along the line :) (it is being looked at though ) :)

Cheers, MP

arglmauf
Jun-27-2014, 10:25
hmm.. overcast. Love it. Probably far outside the realm of possible but having a rainy storm would be damn great just for the fantastic backdrop it would give for desperate dogfights.

BTW: Why aren't there collisions for the trees when they can get collisions for buildings just fine? Aren't they technically the same thing in the engine?

Mysticpuma
Jun-27-2014, 10:52
hmm.. overcast. Love it. Probably far outside the realm of possible but having a rainy storm would be damn great just for the fantastic backdrop it would give for desperate dogfights.

BTW: Why aren't there collisions for the trees when they can get collisions for buildings just fine? Aren't they technically the same thing in the engine?

Rain would be awesome...but we can't do everything at once :ind:

Regarding tree collisions. CloD used Speedtree and this, while generating lots of trees, isn't so great resource wise. Here's a quote from the original developers of CloD:

"Heliocon: For the trees, (is speed tree being used?) why not just create a hitbox around their center and generate it when a plane gets close to/within a certain range of a tree.

Luthier: That's exactly what we tried at first, but there are too many trees and too many planes. We also use a rather unorthodox scheme for tree coordinates, which allows us to generate more trees in a frame than perhaps ever in the history of speedtree, but that also makes collisions difficult to track.

Even with a single plane, anything we try leads to significant freezes when flying over terrain, much worse than anything you currently see, and if you have say two large squadrons taking off one in England and one in France, forget it, the constant generation of collisions against multiple fast-moving objects kills everything.

This could possibly be cured by dumping everything onto a separate core used for nothing but tree collisions, but that would instantly increase our system requirements to 4+ core systems."

So TF are having to look at a more resource friendly way of doing this, while at the same time working out how to make it work online too (so players can't just switch off trees!).

We are aware of this and are still looking at 'elegant' solutions, one day, when 1C release the Source Code (and TF have a collective age of 3756 years-old) we may be able to do a better job. Currently it's all workarounds.....but so-far we have had a good set of results from our work :)

Cheers, MP

ATAG_Dave
Jun-27-2014, 11:19
Oh wow that's brilliant stuff - those clouds looked incredible. Its great that we get these regular teaser updates anyway but to see such detail in them is fantastic - thank you :thumbsup:

Katdog5
Jun-27-2014, 11:33
Mama mia!

implicit A
Jun-27-2014, 11:44
+1

implicit A
Jun-27-2014, 11:47
GREAT GREAT FANTASTIC MARVELOUS AWESOME WORK on impact sounds and visuals !

Just a little suggestion
in your vid between 4"11 4"27 when spit is quite far from camera. il looks like the same loop sample.

Just listen difference between that one
and that one between 9"32 9"37.
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3235&p=46919&viewfull=1#post46919

MysticPuma thanks a lot for all the great news, and congratulation to all the team !

keep the dream alive !

Meaks
Jun-27-2014, 11:48
Fantastic work chaps,the explosions when aircraft hit the ground are bloody awesome,sooooo realistic,thank you so much as always for your hard work,this just gets better :thumbsup:

BTW don't wish to be rude,but how's my Vickers Wellington coming on?............thought you chaps might appreciate a real 1940's propoganda poster which has a Wellington Pilot Sergeant Ernest John Holland from 149 Sqn asking help to build his Wellington bomber.Thought it quite apt.

SIDWULF
Jun-27-2014, 11:52
Incredible effects...perfect and optimized.

GERMANWOLF
Jun-27-2014, 11:57
Perfect work, we are flying in the brazil more than ever now
thank you all.

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Jun-27-2014, 12:54
BTW don't wish to be rude,but how's my Vickers Wellington coming on?............

Work continues. However, everyone should understand this is not a small undertaking and it will take a long time. Creating state of the art cockpits and other aspects required a huge investment in time.

I will give you an example:

BATTLE OF STALINGRAD took more than two years to get to the stage they are now... and they STARTED with the external models to their aircraft already completed... the work had already been done by Luthier and his team before they were fired.

Now we are optimistic our creation of a flyable Wellington and other types will not take as long as that, but it will be a task which will require patience. :salute:

libano1982
Jun-27-2014, 13:01
great work thank you Gentlemen....:)

Meaks
Jun-27-2014, 13:15
Work continues. However, everyone should understand this is not a small undertaking and it will take a long time. Creating state of the art cockpits and other aspects required a huge investment in time.

I will give you an example:

BATTLE OF STALINGRAD took more than two years to get to the stage they are now... and they STARTED with the external models to their aircraft already completed... the work had already been done by Luthier and his team before they were fired.

Now we are optimistic our creation of a flyable Wellington and other types will not take as long as that, but it will be a task which will require patience. :salute:

I was being rude was'nt I,no problem Buzz,I fully appreciate the mamouth task ahead my friend,but I know you have the team to accomplish such a task,I think we all stand in awe of the achievements so far and have great expectations of future work :thumbsup:

Mysticpuma
Jun-27-2014, 13:57
GREAT GREAT FANTASTIC MARVELOUS AWESOME WORK on impact sounds and visuals !

Just a little suggestion
in your vid between 4"11 4"27 when spit is quite far from camera. il looks like the same loop sample.

Just listen difference between that one
and that one between 9"32 9"37.
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3235&p=46919&viewfull=1#post46919

MysticPuma thanks a lot for all the great news, and congratulation to all the team !

keep the dream alive !

I can't believe it! :doh: Actually you are correct but it was me not an audio loop! When I put the video together I unlinked the audio from the video and overwrote the first clip of audio. In all honesty, rather than re-insert and re-edit the clip...I left it as it was.......and you spotted it :grrr:

Note to self, don't be lazy next time implicit may be listening :)

Very well spotted....no go away and pretend like no-one noticed ;)

Cheers, MP

vranac
Jun-27-2014, 14:21
Very nice! Thank you.

implicit A
Jun-27-2014, 14:27
Mysticpuma you're welcome. ;-)
i was in laugh when i read your post !

good news it was not the final far flyby sound in that configuration. :glaughter:

anyway it's better you spend most of your time on TF mod work than on tweaking and polishing a Vid ;-)

:thumbsup:

Chivas
Jun-27-2014, 14:40
Awesome work. I'm sure your hands are full, but I wonder if anyone has looked at the feasibility of OR support at some point?

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Jun-27-2014, 14:50
Awesome work. I'm sure your hands are full, but I wonder if anyone has looked at the feasibility of OR support at some point?

When someone has the money to pay for the purchase of an O.R. system which would allow our chief coder to investigate implementing it in CoD we might consider this possibility... but at the moment, no. :salute:

Vlerkies
Jun-27-2014, 16:07
"RAF fighter engines incorrectly start cold in Multiplayer
Don't all engines start cold in Cliffs?

Osprey
Jun-27-2014, 16:20
Luftwaffe engines are pre-warmed, no such joy in the RAF. IRL the RAF were ready to scramble with warmed up and positioned fighters.

Vlerkies
Jun-27-2014, 16:25
Luftwaffe engines are pre-warmed, no such joy in the RAF. IRL the RAF were ready to scramble with warmed up and positioned fighters.
As one would expect.
Just asking, my temp gauges are all the way to the left when I start up. No matter. Whatever gets targets in the air faster is good with me ;)

Effects look great, thx MP/TF

GunnyMac
Jun-27-2014, 16:48
Thank you, and everyone working on this awesome sim.

Sandy1942
Jun-27-2014, 17:03
The interesting cinema turned out! Thanks! Effects of fire the very beautiful. But huge mass of clouds... simply bewitches! Long ago I want to fly over such clouds.

II/JG77_Con
Jun-27-2014, 17:25
fantastic

Markie
Jun-27-2014, 17:42
Beautiful work, the effects are so important. Coupled with this is of course is accurate sounds. The holy grail is the point at which we cannot tell simulation from life. I ache for realistic weather - the various kinds. If we get to a stage whereby we can click on what rain, snow, clouds we want I will be in heaven. Thunder and lightning....Mmmm. Mist, fog, rainbow, hail. Also a realistic red dawn and sunset would top it off for me.

DUI
Jun-27-2014, 17:46
Thanks for this video (and the TF effort behind it)!

Is the debris in the water at 1:50 min new? I do not mean the water splashes (which always had looked great) but the pieces of junk swimming in the water after the plane crashed into it.

Continu0
Jun-27-2014, 18:33
Thanks for this video (and the TF effort behind it)!

Is the debris in the water at 1:50 min new? I do not mean the water splashes (which always had looked great) but the pieces of junk swimming in the water after the plane crashed into it.

wondered too... looks fantastic anyway!

keeno
Jun-28-2014, 05:59
Amazing work, there looks to be so much new stuff in the video it needs watching several times to catch it all.

Brilliant, much appreciated.

Cheers

AKA_Knutsac
Jun-28-2014, 08:49
Magnificent! Some of the aerial scenes are photo realistic. And the thick cloud cover...outstanding. This alone will add a whole new dimension to the game.

~S~ TF!

AKA Knutsac

dburne
Jun-28-2014, 09:30
Thanks for the great update Mystic, looking very, very good!!

Dauntless
Jun-28-2014, 09:37

IIJG27Rich
Jun-28-2014, 10:07
I love watching these videos and reading the posts. Keep up the great work Team Fusion :thumbsup::salute:

ATAG_CrusaderOne
Jun-30-2014, 22:50
Great looking work! Thanks guys!

ATAG_CrusaderOne

DB 605
Jul-02-2014, 13:25
Great work on sounds and effects!

Whizkid
Jul-05-2014, 19:29
All I can say is, you guys are bloody amazing! There isn't a Flight Sim alive that can touch CoD right now, and these new forthcoming changes just add icing to the cake! I particularly love the Spit swanning around in the heavy cumulus! Can't thank you enough for your efforts, gents.

II/JG77_RC
Jul-10-2014, 15:20
Wicked !

Team Fusion 5.0 is going to be Amazing !

Tempered
Jul-11-2014, 23:22
Every time I watch one of the update videos, a big smile involuntarily cracks my otherwise dour countenance. :D

Cruzz 88
Jul-18-2014, 16:24
You guys are Awesome, another tremendous piece of work :salute:

ATAG_Lewis
Jul-18-2014, 18:19
Hope I can repay you boys with a smile if nothing else....With Thanks..~S~

I give you.....

TEAM FUSION MAN!!

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr232/FS_Lewis/SuperTeamFusioncopy_zps4ff72ffd.jpg

Like Superman....only with more brains and interllect..

C.K
Jul-24-2014, 02:55
truly excellent looking upgrade :D

FilMit
Jul-24-2014, 09:03
Waiting for an update to version 5, as was once waiting for patches to the old IL-2!
Though hint please, when will update! Fortnight?
You big fellows, TF team, you and all hope!! :salute:

IIJG27Rich
Jul-24-2014, 20:38
Hope I can repay you boys with a smile if nothing else....With Thanks..~S~

I give you.....

TEAM FUSION MAN!!

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr232/FS_Lewis/SuperTeamFusioncopy_zps4ff72ffd.jpg

Like Superman....only with more brains and interllect..

Awesome!

C.K
Jul-25-2014, 04:41
Forgot to ask where will this upgrade be posted when it is released? I'm guessing I have to set it up like the other patch's (3.00 to 4.312)

DUI
Jul-25-2014, 05:39
I think it is a bit early to ask for upgrade details. I would not expect the next patch long before beginning of 2015 (just guessing). :lecture:

nacy
Jul-25-2014, 06:17
As before, depending on whether we can release news/features, the next update may not be for maybe 2-4 weeks, but we'll certainly keep the updates coming when we can.

C'est aujourd'hui:satisfied::satisfied::satisfied:

TWC_Fatal_Error
Jul-26-2014, 16:15
great work I always said put a few scattered telephone poles among the forests or a few barrage balloon wires and all that flying through the trees would stop real quick especially if they turned off trees and those just went invisible especially the wires. Heck just 2 wires stretched through a forest in a random matter would be invisible until you ran into it so instead of making them go up make them go out snaking through the trees :)

heinkill
Jul-26-2014, 18:58
Would it be possible to release some of the content when it is ready, instead of waiting for TF 5, in order to keep interest in the game alive?

A bomb armed Tiggie or flyable Wellie, released every six months or so, would really help retain players who might be lost waiting a year or more for the full package.

H

nacy
Jul-26-2014, 20:56
Would it be possible to release some of the content when it is ready, instead of waiting for TF 5, in order to keep interest in the game alive?

A bomb armed Tiggie or flyable Wellie, released every six months or so, would really help retain players who might be lost waiting a year or more for the full package.

H

+1:thumbsup:

Mysticpuma
Jul-27-2014, 05:12
Hi Nacy, Heinkill.

This is something we are considering but rather than release yet another patch, we are working on building an auto-updater so that any new large or small releases can be much easier installed from scratch.

The Tiger Moth is still WiP (although advanced) but the flyable Wellington....that's quite a way off as it not only requires cockpit work but bomb aimer and turret work too before it will be released.

The Friday updates will.continue to give you news about our progress. We obviously would love to finish everything we start within a week of beginning.....but real life isn't like that :(

This is why we are always on the lookout for 3D modellers to help with our progress.....leave it with us....we're working on it :)

Cheers, MP

II/JG77_RC
Jul-27-2014, 15:10
Waiting for an update to version 5, as was once waiting for patches to the old IL-2!
Though hint please, when will update! Fortnight?
You big fellows, TF team, you and all hope!! :salute:

HAHA ! You and my both FilMit.

I see you remember the old ongoing joke in 46

The answer you are looking for is:

2 weeks . . . Always 2 weeks.

HurricaneHarvest
Aug-12-2014, 10:04
Great work guys, looks far better than my 3.0 v

HH.

HurricaneHarvest
Aug-14-2014, 09:04
Fantastic work chaps,the explosions when aircraft hit the ground are bloody awesome,sooooo realistic,thank you so much as always for your hard work,this just gets better :thumbsup:

BTW don't wish to be rude,but how's my Vickers Wellington coming on?............thought you chaps might appreciate a real 1940's propoganda poster which has a Wellington Pilot Sergeant Ernest John Holland from 149 Sqn asking help to build his Wellington bomber.Thought it quite apt.

Meaker, while you're waiting for the Wimpy, this might be a short term fix ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXhG6DFjaDY

Lapwin
Aug-14-2014, 11:22
That tiny Spit in the end surrounded by them huge clouds.
What a sight. Very good work gentlemen. Thanks for the
update.