PDA

View Full Version : AI planes circle and re-landing

keeno
Jun-30-2014, 04:04
Hi all,

I'm just trying to play through a campaign for a Ju88 pilot downloaded a while ago. There's an issue were I take off followed by my squadron to set off on the mission. My team then circle, drop their bombs over France and then re-land. I altered their "discipline" setting in the experience tab in FMB but it hasn't made any difference.

Any ideas how or if this can be made to work and the Ai pilots actually follow the mission?

Cheers

No601_Swallow
Jun-30-2014, 08:54
Personally I always find it hard to hunt down what's causing strange AI bomber behaviour. If aircraft are circling, that usually, in my experience means they've come to the end of their waypoints. Perhaps the mission builder forgot to add the proper waypoints. But then, why would they drop their bombs on friendly territory? Did the bombs go off? Is it possible they were just jettisoning the bombs?

ATAG_Torian
Jun-30-2014, 09:03
Hi all,

I'm just trying to play through a campaign for a Ju88 pilot downloaded a while ago. There's an issue were I take off followed by my squadron to set off on the mission. My team then circle, drop their bombs over France and then re-land. I altered their "discipline" setting in the experience tab in FMB but it hasn't made any difference.

Any ideas how or if this can be made to work and the Ai pilots actually follow the mission?

Cheers

It would be helpful to have a copy of the mission (including any .cs file associated) to see what the original builder actually plotted the AI to do.
Are u running the latest TF patch ?

SoW Reddog
Jun-30-2014, 10:35
It wouldn't surprise me if AI were programmed to jettison ordnance before trying to land. After all landing a heavily laden bombers not the most safe thing to do...

keeno
Jun-30-2014, 16:01
Hi guys and thanks for the replies.

I've looked through this FMB mission in particular and checked the Group properties and way points and re-jigged the set altitudes and air speeds to ensure they are achievable. the Ai take off ok, circle, drop their bombs which don't explode (jettisoned safely) and then land and go back to their hangers leaving me to press on alone and get destroyed over the target.

I wonder how much of the FMB is still bugged as I've played other missions I've created with Ju87's and sometimes a lone Ai plane will randomly return to base for no apparent reason but the other Ai will continue with me on their mission. Sometimes I'll fly all the way to a target followed by the Ai only for me to drop my bombs and the Ai will overfly the target, do nothing and follow me home, which is a bit fustrating.

Is it just me or do others experience possible glitches.

thanks again for any advice.

bolox
Jul-01-2014, 02:00
For these missions player plane is leading group, correct?

Can I suggest you try using autopilot to take off- until first waypoint. There is a prob with AI not being 'registered' with game if you just take off manually, autopilot seems to 'kick' the game into recognizing players plane.

Not ideal but it might help?

No601_Swallow
Jul-01-2014, 04:30
Just about getting the AI to drop bombs in a mission you're designing, I often find this a bit hit and miss (boom-tish!). There are parameters to check - for instance apart from the bomb loadout, I find you need to check the fuses (high altitude or low?) as well as the method of bombing (level, dive, etc).

Even so, I'm relieved rather than blase' when they actually do what they're supposed to do. I tend to have more success with area bombing rather than targets.

But straightforward it ain't! In my experience, anyway. Altogether now: "Ahhhhhhh-CloD!"

keeno
Jul-01-2014, 06:10
Once again, thanks for all replies.

Yes, I'm leading the raid but I'll try the "trick" of taking off using autopilot to the first way point, its a shame really as taking off for me is all part of the ride.

While we're on the subject of bombs and fuses, it's been and still is a real pain selecting the correct bombs and fuses. Sometimes I select what I believe to be the correct bombs/fuses and they still do not explode.

Can I ask the experts, when compiling your own load outs do you have for example every type of bomb with every type of fuse pre-populated so they can be selected in QMB too, if not then how do you set out your bomb loads and fuses for ease of selection and use.

Do you see a time when all this will work as it probably should.

Cheers for any advice.

1lokos
Jul-01-2014, 11:23
Yes, I'm leading the raid but I'll try the "trick" of taking off using autopilot to the first way point, its a shame really as taking off for me is all part of the ride.

Instead "Autopilot ON" you can use Desastersoft workaround:

Taxi to the runway. (If required)
Ask for conditions for take off (TAB -> 7 -> 3)
Ask for take off permission (TAB -> 7 -> 6) * (Is always denied due broken radio messages, take then as permitted)
Take off.

After take off go into a traffic pattern to the right side and keep on circling until aircrafts number 2, 3 and 4 of your flight are in the air.
If you stay in the traffic pattern, the AI aircrafts can still see you and will join you, as if auto-pilot is used.

While we're on the subject of bombs and fuses, it's been and still is a real pain selecting the correct bombs and fuses. Sometimes I select what I believe to be the correct bombs/fuses and they still do not explode.

Remember to "arm" then before drop? It's required for German (italian?) bombers.

Can I ask the experts, when compiling your own load outs do you have for example every type of bomb with every type of fuse pre-populated so they can be selected in QMB too, if not then how do you set out your bomb loads and fuses for ease of selection and use.

I use set and save as - for QMB:

4xSC501s (for high altitude bombing)
4xSC5011s (for low level/skipping bombing)
Etc.

Dont find a "easy way"...

Sokol1

keeno
Jul-02-2014, 01:24
Thanks again chaps,

1lokos, I'll give that a go. I hope this and other glitches in FMB can eventually get ironed out.

Cheers.

No601_Swallow
Jul-02-2014, 07:03

If only there was a "CloD Loadouts for Dummies" guide...
[Edit: Eek! Not implying anything about you Keeno, he adds hurriedly. I honest-to-goodness would love a gudie(s) to things like getting loadouts to work, getting SP flights to follow leaders (thanks Sokol/Desastersoft!), etc. There's so much in CloD for which the using the phrase "counter-intuitive" is like describing the England football team as "a little disappointing"...]

I do resent that everything in CloD (apart from hoisting yourself into yet another MP dogfight) is such a struggle, so hit and miss. Even after all this time, things still trip me up, like having to save loadouts in MP so they'll be available in in the quick missions or SP. It's madness, and just adds to the hassles of using this game (and I'm speaking as someone who's devoted far far more time to trying to find workarounds than sanity would normally permit). Fully half of my squadron cannot wait - they're hanging on to our hobby by their fingertips - for us to move on to BoS. Some are so annoyed, they are even holding out a hope that the DCS people will rescue Luthier's latest fiasco. Well, anything's possible, I suppose.

Do you see a time when all this will work as it probably should.

Let's leave that dangling as a poignant existential whisper, dwarfed by the utter darkness of the chilling void. Or some such.

III./ZG76_Saipan
Jul-02-2014, 08:47
If only there was a "CloD Loadouts for Dummies" guide...
[Edit: Eek! Not implying anything about you Keeno, he adds hurriedly. I honest-to-goodness would love a gudie(s) to things like getting loadouts to work, getting SP flights to follow leaders (thanks Sokol/Desastersoft!), etc. There's so much in CloD for which the using the phrase "counter-intuitive" is like describing the England football team as "a little disappointing"...]

I do resent that everything in CloD (apart from hoisting yourself into yet another MP dogfight) is such a struggle, so hit and miss. Even after all this time, things still trip me up, like having to save loadouts in MP so they'll be available in in the quick missions or SP. It's madness, and just adds to the hassles of using this game (and I'm speaking as someone who's devoted far far more time to trying to find workarounds than sanity would normally permit). Fully half of my squadron cannot wait - they're hanging on to our hobby by their fingertips - for us to move on to BoS. Some are so annoyed, they are even holding out a hope that the DCS people will rescue Luthier's latest fiasco. Well, anything's possible, I suppose.

Let's leave that dangling as a poignant existential whisper, dwarfed by the utter darkness of the chilling void. Or some such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaM5jFf5omo&index=9&list=FLE8VMzfMLhR_sPQtYxDm_CA

nice vid on loadouts...for blue anways...

keeno
Jul-02-2014, 10:22
Thanks for the reply Swallow, that was a spot on reply.

I share your pain whole heartidly. I love this sim but f*ck me it tests my patience. TF have done amazing work so far but for me personally I wouldn't even consider new maps or planes until everthing is working as was originally intended. When you get into the nitty gritty (FMB) there's a ton of stuff that doesn't work or is glitched or needs a workaround.

I've been with BOS since it was first up for pre-release and I really like it but there's something about CoD that keeps bringing me back, I'm not into online multiplay as I prefer an objective based mission instead of a mad tear-up and so far that means FMB plus I can't commit to when I fly so won't join a squad.

I totally agree with you and your squad mates, fingers crossed that TF can and will slowly get the sim to where we'd love it to be.

Cheers again.

keeno
Jul-03-2014, 06:38
Hi all,

just another big thanks for all replies and tips. Flew my mission in question today and it all worked like a charm. Take off, form up, fly to target in formation, all bombs dropped together, all bombs go off and fly home in formation, wonderful!

ok, on another note, I know nothing about scripts but have seen the master list under development. question: is it really a case of adding the scripts with the mission name and .cs extension in the mission file or do I have to alter any text within the script to make it work with my missions.

as always, any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers

No601_Swallow
Jul-03-2014, 07:04
ok, on another note, I know nothing about scripts but have seen the master list under development. question: is it really a case of adding the scripts with the mission name and .cs extension in the mission file or do I have to alter any text within the script to make it work with my missions.

To dredge up a movie quote, buckle your seat belt Dorothy, because Kansas...

That is, it would if I could get me brackets in the right place. Oo me brackets!

Keeno, basically... yes, the script has to have the same name (and be in the same folder) as your mission, but with the .cs extension - in fact if you paste the script into the script window in the FMB, the game will create this file for you. But it's a computer-blip-bleak type of language (I picture R2D2's whistles and burps), so the boffins generally use MS Visual Studio Express (which is free) or a similar text editor to sculpt their scripts. For those of us yet to be assimilated into the Borgian scripting hive-mind, copying, cutting, pasting, pirating, praying are the order of the day. I generally try to find a script that already does more or less what I want it to do and then gingerly try to edit that.

But I think the phrase "can of worms" was coined for just such a topic. :D

keeno
Jul-03-2014, 10:00
Hi Swallow,

yep, I've looked into the "language of the script" and decided it was beyond me, so I guess I'll give copy, paste, borrow and steal a whirl.

have you got anything simple to try out, I'm thinking:

if you destroy 50% of ground targets a message pops up "mission complete, return to base", something similar?

thanks again.

No601_Swallow
Jul-03-2014, 16:38
have you got anything simple to try out, I'm thinking:

if you destroy 50% of ground targets a message pops up "mission complete, return to base", something similar?

thanks again.

My post here (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10795) (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10795) includes a crudely annotated sample of script (attached - I just can't get this forum to accept full sized piccies! Grrr!)

The "OnTrigger" section is the one you need. All you'd need to do would be in the FMB to add a suitable "T group destroyed" or "T ground destroyed" trigger, then edit the text (given in my original post), cutting what you don't want (most of it), making sure the trigger's name is correctly spelt in the script, and adding a suitable HUD message (i.e. changing the one that's there), and voila! Job done.

But with the scripts, punctuation and brackets are key. The annotated excerpt is missing the final closing squiggly bracket (actually, two closing squiggly brackets, I think!), for instance. That's why pasting it into MS Visual Studio (Express!) is useful, because it can often show you where you've mucked up your brackets or semi-colons, etc.

Good luck! :salute:

keeno
Jul-03-2014, 17:34
Hi Swallow,

this looks a bit beyond my level of incompetence but I'm prepared to give it a whirl. I've just realised looking at your signiture that I downloaded your air fields from squadron website and have been using and tweaking for my missions, go figure!

I'll let you know how I get on with the cut/paste - script/text message thing I'm attempting.

thanks for everything so far.

Cheers

keeno
Jul-04-2014, 09:59
Hi Swallow,

well what do you know.......it worked!

It may sound trivial but the message popped up right on cue, as and when it was supposed too.

ok, how would the script look to say something on screen if the objective wasn't met, something like:

the ground target wasn't 50% destroyed so "mission failed, return to base!"

anything I can butcher would really help, oh btw I downloaded MS visual express as recommended.

Cheers again.

No601_Swallow
Jul-04-2014, 14:25
You're tumbling down that rabbit hole Keeno... If you see something labelled "Drink Me", don't!

I'm afraid you're already going beyond what I've been able to do... But Kodiak may have Google-translated pearls of wisdom...

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.sturmovik.de%2Findex.php%2Fbo ard%2C17.0.html

keeno
Jul-04-2014, 18:44
Swallow,

this is how it starts out, you start off a casual recreational user thinking you can handle it and stop any time you want and before you know it the old you is gone, taken over by CoD scripts...................

Thanks for the link, I've already got it on my favourites, but may be time to take another look.

Cheers

SoW Reddog
Jul-05-2014, 15:43
Keeno, when you're getting grief from the other half for still being on the PC at 4 in the morning for the fourth day in a row then you're almost in the grasp of mistress code! :)

ATAG_Torian
Jul-06-2014, 06:04
Out of interest which one of the tips actually got the AI doing what u wanted them to do keeno ?

keeno
Jul-06-2014, 09:56
Torian,

swallow provided a script he'd used/created with a small section which when triggered activated a message window, "mission successful, jadder, jadder, jadder.....", I cut/paste and tweaked to make it work with one of my missions. when I get a mo I'd like to include a "mission failed because, jadder, jadder, jadder...." but don't know how.

can you offer any support/advice.

Cheers to all.

keeno
Jul-06-2014, 10:05
Sorry torian,

I just re-read your post and realised i hadn't answered your question. so here goes.....

the tip given by 1lokos about "ask for take off conditions, ask for take off permission (denied), take off, circle right and stick close so the Ai can "see" you and then i called to adjust formation and formation distance and even though one had dropped right behind they caught up, joined formation and the rest is history.

Good luck if you try this.

Cheers