PDA

View Full Version : SPOILER ALERT! RAF Campaign Mission 8 - need help

fury spitfire
Jul-02-2014, 18:28
On the way to Manston, to transfer to your new Spitfire squadron, you are jumped by 4 109's.
Every time I play this mission, my number 2 has 'engine problems' shortly after take-off and crashes into the ground, leaving me to ponder my existence on my own.
About a third of the way to Manston, the 109's drop down behind me and start shooting, which is all well and good but I don't have any ammo.
Is this intentional because I could swear saw a youtube video of this mission where the pilot had ammo and could fight back, maybe I'm doing something wrong? Do I need to load ammo on the ground somehow? Or is that a total noob question..

heinkill
Jul-03-2014, 01:22
No newbs here...welcome!

Ah yes...the default RAF campaign...that way madness lies.

You can't load ammo. You have to dodge the 109s by ignoring the waypoints and flying north first, then east to Manston. After all, why would you fly an unarmed kite along the front line?

My old AAR is here...

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3388148/Re:_Luftwaffe_AND_RAF_campaign#Post3388148

BTW the RAF campaign is broken, with missing targets and waypoints later in the campaign and a totally mental unrealistic plot. There are plenty of user made alternatives to the stock campaigns for both the TF mod and unmodded versions including...

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4430

Others at the top of this forum. There is a reason we redid the stock campaigns. They are full of bugs. And dumbness.

Cheers,

H

fury spitfire
Jul-03-2014, 03:25
Thanks for your help but I'm using your REDUX Campaign..
I wouldn't touch stock with a bargepole after having my dreams smashed in 2011 at release.

I'll try ignoring the waypoints and going another way.
Sometimes I'm never quite sure of the objective rules. Am I allowed to deviate from the path?
As a seasoned DCS pilot, I'm used to having to stick to the carved in stone flightplan (Vergeev Campaign AAR Link (http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1278422&postcount=165)), so it's nice to be given the freedom to use my own incentive.
It's also the first time in a sim that I've been able to fail a mission and the story adapts, which was a brilliant and very realistic idea.

I've been thoroughly impressed by what you've achieved with REDUX.
After reading First Light, every mission echoes a chapter and every chapter gives me tips on how to be a better pilot, the two work great together.

Another quickie, the AI seem to have superhuman skills and can climb 4000fpm without losing speed.
I don't want to lower their intelligence but can I adjust their flight skills so that I can keep up with them?

heinkill
Jul-03-2014, 03:55
Thanks for your help but I'm using your REDUX Campaign..
I wouldn't touch stock with a bargepole after having my dreams smashed in 2011 at release.

Oh oh, then you are in trouble...hee hee. The purpose of this mission is to hone your defensive maneouvering skills. Get into the weeds and stay there - you are in a Hurricane, so you won't be able to outrun the 109, but you have an advantage in turn radius. Fly nap of the earth, and they will not be able to follow easily. If you are aggressive I find they quite often collide with the ground or have to pull up high. If they get within firing range, drag them in a low tight circle, where you have an advantage. Another thing (mission designer tip here) is that this mission is intended to make you appreciate even more your transition to the Spitfire!

Yes you can always deviate from the waypoints. REDUX campaigns are designed using the Open Battlefield concept, so you can do what you want!

But...in mission design we include a range of other AI flights (some of which are triggered when you enter a particular combat zone) so if you follow the waypoints, it will guarantee you action, but if you deviate, you may still find you bump into other AI aircraft going about their business and the Luftwaffe aircraft may object to your presence! On this mission I believe we added several AI flights either side of the suggested route - which the stock campaign did not. :devilish: so that you can try your luck taking other routes than the most direct one, but you need to stay alert the whole way.

Having said that, if you ditch your flight leader and go north east to London, then southeast to Manston, you should be safe enough. (After all, as you have noted, he will abandon you as soon as he gets in trouble!)

In REDUX campaigns though, you can always just land safely and continue to the next mission (it does irk to get a mission fail for not landing at Manston, I know).

Another quickie, the AI seem to have superhuman skills and can climb 4000fpm without losing speed.
I don't want to lower their intelligence but can I adjust their flight skills so that I can keep up with them?

As to trying to keep up with the AI, yes they fly with prop pitch, engine rpm and radiator settings perfectly tuned and are hard to keep up with in a climb, though TF has done a good job to make sure they cannot outperform historical envelopes for each aircraft. Novice settings don't really seem to effect this so you just have to do your best. You will soon be promoted to flight commander, so the AI will need to follow you.

H

fury spitfire
Jul-03-2014, 04:24
(it does irk to get a mission fail for not landing at Manston, I know).
The die hard perfectionist wins every time :) Glad I'm not alone!

You will soon be promoted to flight commander, so the AI will need to follow you.
Now that's what I like to hear!

Thanks so much for your help and for your time spent on making COD better.

fury spitfire
Jul-03-2014, 15:40
Welcome to Manston, Recruit...
Mission Success :)

heinkill
Jul-04-2014, 14:20
Well done old chap!

ATAG_Monkeynut
Jul-04-2014, 17:26
Fly them into the ground, always the most satisfying way of passing this mission!