PDA

View Full Version : Bf 109 E-1 - engine failures (overheats? leaks?)

b0czek
Jul-08-2014, 02:57
Hello.

As my skills are low my engine dies. Well, it should not happen, but... :)

I was cruising at 7km. I observed, that ATA dropped to 0.7 or even lower at almost full throttle. Is there a supercharger or this is normal behaviour?

I tried some dives on spotted planes, etc. etc. After some time my fly propeller suddenly started to shake and I saw oil on windshield. I check water temperature - it was... high (oil radiator was set ~55% and water two ticks over wind surface).

How to figure out what I did bad - was it overrev or overboost or somebode hit me? Is there any log file or anything I could track to figure out which moment I made mistake?

regards,
b0czek

Karaya
Jul-08-2014, 04:16
Hi,

7km is pretty high up for the E-1 especially as it has the weakest engine of the entire Messerschmitt lineup. Full throttle height for that plane is around 4km so going higher than that the engine will start to drop off in power very quickly.

As for the oil on the windshield thing: I assume you havent properly monitored your propeller pitch and engine revolutions. In the Bf109 you should never exceed 2400-2500rpm (2500 for only brief periods). Anything higher than that will get the engine damaged in very little time. Especially in a dive and without the automatic pitch governor you have in the E-4 and later models it is very easy to overrev the engine if you do not pay constant attention to the prop pitch.

Here are flight manuals for all flyable aircraft in Cliffs:

http://www.theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/wiki/doku.php?id=flight_manuals

Includes engine boost & rpm settings for different phases of flight

Vlerkies
Jul-08-2014, 04:49
Normal behaviour

Very high for an E1.
When you pass 4km if you continue the climb you will see the ATA drop off as the supercharger struggles the higher you get.

If you wanna fly high take the E3 or E4.

I notice you said after you dived you saw oil.
Watch your rpm, you almost certainly over reved the propeller.

You need to have the prop pitch (increase and decrease) mapped to keys or on your joystick and constantly manually manage it in an E1.

In a dive dont let your airspeed exceed 700kmh, and keep the rpm below 2400.
Sometimes you have to kill the throttle to do this or even level out from the dive itself.

A useful 109 info post here worth going through.
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5823

b0czek
Jul-08-2014, 05:15
Thanks for hints!