PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler Alert not really - REDUX RAF Campaign Mission 15

fury spitfire
Jul-08-2014, 16:21
After successfully downing 3 He111's in REDUX RAF Campaign Mission 15, I flew back to Manston, landed and, after clearing the runway and shutting down, was rewarded with a Mission Failure. Why? This is not the first time, after what I thought was a successful mission, that I got a 'mission failure' for my effort.

I'm not seeing any indication of what I need to do to achieve success in each briefing either, no Slides only a Map. I've looked into the .briefing files and I'm definitely not seeing what's written in them.
I am enjoying a most wonderful story in each briefing but it doesn't include objectives like 'Mission success criteria: Player gets 1 Bf110C kill and lands successfully'.

What am I doing wrong?

heinkill
Jul-08-2014, 17:18
Hi, remind me what mission 15 is about again?

In the meantime... From the readme. Not that it is necessarily the answer!

Q. I got a mission failure message even though I shot down three aircraft personally and we stopped the incoming raid from hitting its target. WTF?

A. Most missions require you to achieve just one personal kill, and land successfully. But others require that you pass a specific waypoint (eg for recon), destroy a specific target (eg a Bf110) or land your machine at a specific airfield (eg transferring from Tangmere to Manston). If you don’t get a mission success message, you can either refly or just move on. It will not affect overall campaign success.

There is a known bug in CoD which may also prevent you from achieving success: sometimes, especially over water, if the enemy successfully crash lands, the game will not register the enemy aircraft as destroyed. So even though you have shot that seaplane down over the Channel and it is floating on the water with engines torn off and fuselage burning, you might not be credited by the game with the kill. In this case, we suggest you just suck it up, and move on to the next mission. Real life pilots also have claims disallowed which they are certain were theirs!

heinkill
Jul-08-2014, 17:56
Just checked. Mission 15 says following...

Mission 15
September 10, 1940
Player Plane: Supermarine Spitfire, #1, (single-seat fighter)
Mission objective: Channel patrol, intercept CAI aircraft.

Mission success criteria: Player gets 1 kill and lands.

(The success criteria and objectives are under the photo. Are you not seeing the photo w caption on the right of briefing screen? If not I can imagine the frustration!)

So, should have been BR20s, not He111s? Strange you knocked down 3 but got no success tho. It tends to suggest the game didnt regard them as killed...see above. Annoying.

H

fury spitfire
Jul-08-2014, 17:56
I know WTF right? I'm getting good at this. 3 He111's...
I read First Light, I'm reading Blue Man Falling, I always dreamed of being a Spitfire pilot and now here I am, fresh from training surprising even myself.
Ok, seriously, this was like a 1 in 50 thing... Normally I blow my engine just before getting to the enemy and have to glide home with the canopy open shooting holes in clouds...

This is the mission where you go out to hunt some He111's, the mission before you go out with your 'companion' who threatens to shoot you down if you shoot the Ju-88, does that ring a bell?
I'm following your AAR's but you played vanilla, so your experience was very different..

I can't wait to get this done with now and get into the German Campaign proper..
I completed a few more missions tonight and now I've got some chick sitting on my lap who wants to go fly with me...
Yes, I read your AAR that madness lies this way but I have to see it through to the end :)

heinkill
Jul-09-2014, 03:02
I know WTF right? I'm getting good at this. 3 He111's...
I read First Light, I'm reading Blue Man Falling, I always dreamed of being a Spitfire pilot and now here I am, fresh from training surprising even myself.
Ok, seriously, this was like a 1 in 50 thing... Normally I blow my engine just before getting to the enemy and have to glide home with the canopy open shooting holes in clouds...

This is the mission where you go out to hunt some He111's, the mission before you go out with your 'companion' who threatens to shoot you down if you shoot the Ju-88, does that ring a bell?
I'm following your AAR's but you played vanilla, so your experience was very different..

I can't wait to get this done with now and get into the German Campaign proper..
I completed a few more missions tonight and now I've got some chick sitting on my lap who wants to go fly with me...
Yes, I read your AAR that madness lies this way but I have to see it through to the end :)

Ummm, now I am really confused as I thought you said you were flying RAF REDUX.

In REDUX we changed all the Axis aircraft to Italian in this mission so that you are intercepting a CAI raid in mission 15, and we got rid of that stupid 'kill your wingman plot', um, and we also dumped Spit girl and changed it to a night fighter mission (don't worry, she ended up marrying a Polish pilot and moved to the USA)...so as you were not seeing the Italian aircraft, and apparently not the briefing graphics with mission objectives, and you have some random woman in your cockpit, I am pretty certain you aren't following the adventures of Red McColpin in the RAF REDUX campaign! It would explain your issues.

Obviously I am a teeny bit biased but I really do suggest you don't play the German default campaign, but go for the 'LW REDUX: Operation Sealion', or the 'Spitfire on My Tail' LW campaigns instead.

The LW default campaign is not a campaign at all, but a series of non sequential missions where you fly in a 110, 109, Stuka etc. which is OK in itself, but it is plagued with missing target aircraft, faulty waypoint timings etc. so you will get a lot of that 'WTF I met the objectives but got a mission fail' experience.

H

fury spitfire
Jul-09-2014, 03:45
Ummm, now I am really confused as I thought you said you were flying RAF REDUX.

Ok, now I am really confused too..
I was under the impression that I was flying the REDUX Campaign.
At least, I installed it and selected campaign_gb in-game.

Up until the 14th mission, I flew the same missions as this guy, so I thought I was flying the right one >
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhHVAPapYWCoxJ9vsfURodLZ6G2uZ0liu

I'm definitely not flying an Italian livery in Mission 15, I flew the mission I mentioned above where my comrade attacked the lone Ju-88 and threatened me.

Did I fly REDUX up until Mission 15 or not?
Did somehow the last few Missions get left out of my installer? I'm so confused..

What is the sure fire way of knowing that I'm flying REDUX? Is there a loading screen or something?
Before mission start, I see a text briefing on the left side, that has so far appeared to make some kind of sense.
On the right, I see a screenshot of a plane normally, with text underneath but haven't noticed any objectives in that text.
At the top right, it says Slides and Map and I can never click on Slides, if that helps.

Appreciate your help on this one.

EDIT - After watching this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2YzyiX4X54&list=PLhHVAPapYWCoxJ9vsfURodLZ6G2uZ0liu&index=13) video of Mission 13, I'm even more confused. The He-111 that I flew had German markings not RAF roundels...
EDIT 2 - I also have never seen a message like this (http://youtu.be/V2QFSb7u7Ys?t=1m41s) one 'Recon Complete, Let's get out of here' but I do always see the Mission Complete (yellow fading to red) upon landing.

dburne
Jul-09-2014, 07:46
Ok, now I am really confused too..
I was under the impression that I was flying the REDUX Campaign.
At least, I installed it and selected campaign_gb in-game.

What is the sure fire way of knowing that I'm flying REDUX?

Look at your campaign screen in the menu of Cliffs of Dover.
When you have the Cliffs of Dover campaign selected, at the top of the screen shot it will say REDUX , if you have that particular campaign installed.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z316/dburne458/CliffsofDoverRedux.jpg

fury spitfire
Jul-09-2014, 08:02
Look at your campaign screen in the menu of Cliffs of Dover.
When you have the Cliffs of Dover campaign selected, at the top of the screen shot it will say REDUX , if you have that particular campaign installed.

Thanks Don, I see a colour photo without that text so that clears that up...
Don't know what's wrong though... installer worked and everything appeared to be ok...
Will have a closer look tonight, thanks.

Could you do me a favour and post a screenshot of your campaign folder.

dburne
Jul-09-2014, 08:11
Be sure and download the REDUX campaign for the TF Mod. ( assuming you are running TF mod).
http://airwarfare.com/sow/index.php/downloads/viewdownload/6-online-campaigns/515-redux-campaigns-for-tf-mod

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z316/dburne458/CampaignFolder.jpg

Hope this helps,

fury spitfire
Jul-09-2014, 08:24
Can you show me what's in your campaign_gb folder?
I am using TF latest version and this is all on a clean and fresh COD install, so I'm confused.
I used the REDUX exe for TF but obviously did it wrong.
Thanks for your help.

dburne
Jul-09-2014, 08:36
Could not get it all but this is most of it, hopefully will help.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z316/dburne458/CampaignGBFolder.jpg

fury spitfire
Jul-09-2014, 08:50
Thanks, that helps a lot.
I don't have the 'bob' folder, everything is in a MOD folder on my installation.

dburne
Jul-09-2014, 09:14
Thanks, that helps a lot.
I don't have the 'bob' folder, everything is in a MOD folder on my installation.

Hmm, I have a MOD folder but all my campaign installs go in the bob folder. With the exception of the data that goes in the 1csoftclub documents folder, in which case it goes in my MOD folder in that documents folder.

Heinkill will probably need to elaborate on this one for you.

Best of luck,

fury spitfire
Jul-09-2014, 15:00
I found out what I did wrong.
When I installed, it said to install to the MOD folder, so I did.
That was wrong.
I should have just followed the path it showed and installed there.
I do indeed have a 'bob' folder and now I also, finally, have the Redux Campaign....
Thanks guys for your help.

And I finally get to do a cold start!!!!

fury spitfire
Jul-09-2014, 15:51
Wow... I just completed mission 14 from the REDUX RAF Campaign. (Invasion of Fiat G50's)
The difference is obvious.
Thank you HK, Bolox and Gabuzomeu.
Immersion... Check
Atmosphere... Check
Scared... Check
Wonderful business flying planes.
Tally Ho.

dburne
Jul-09-2014, 16:12
I found out what I did wrong.
When I installed, it said to install to the MOD folder, so I did.
That was wrong.
I should have just followed the path it showed and installed there.
I do indeed have a 'bob' folder and now I also, finally, have the Redux Campaign....
Thanks guys for your help.

And I finally get to do a cold start!!!!

Sweet!
Enjoy this awesome campaign!:thumbsup:

ATAG_Colander
Jul-09-2014, 16:17
Scared... Check

roflmao

fury spitfire
Jul-09-2014, 18:13
OK, this is all great but I'm stuck on the last mission 'shoot down the hun at night in a spitfire with a tinted glass cockpit and unadjustable crosshair lighting'...
Any tips?

dburne
Jul-09-2014, 18:53
OK, this is all great but I'm stuck on the last mission 'shoot down the hun at night in a spitfire with a tinted glass cockpit and unadjustable crosshair lighting'...
Any tips?

That's a tough one, IIRC I ended up failing that mission.

Found my post on this same mission in the REDUX thread, below was the advice Heinkill gave me on this mission:
And again, pretty sure I ended up failing the mission and proceeding on...

Posted by Heinkill in reply to my request for help on this mission:
<<< If you are using TF 3.1, yes, it is very very hard. We agonised over whether to set the mission earlier eg late afternoon rather than evening, but then it would not reflect the challenges of night fighting without radar, which was a reality for that period of the war. RAF pilots were sent up, in the dark, to find the enemy and then had to try to find their fields again in unlit landscapes with very few lights or landmarks to guide them. Of course they sometimes had searchlights and flak to guide them, which you don't, but in 1940 these were not so accurate anyway...

If you are in TF 4.0 it is a little easier because the night has become a little easier to navigate in TF 4.0.

I don't want to give it away to you completely but to improve this mission from the stock version, we added more bombers overflying your airfield - the map will only show you those that have been sighted by other units or which are in visual range. Hint: there is a seaplane buzzing aroud offshore.

Full credit to you for trying to win unaided - if it really gets to you, you can always open the mission up in the mission builder and see all its secrets

You can also progress to the next mission without 'mission success' but clearly you are not that sort of player! >>>

fury spitfire
Jul-09-2014, 19:23
Thanks Don, somehow I did it..
Canopy open, head out, circling above the water using the reflection of the moon in the water to spot shadows.... Easily the hardest mission so far! No real way to line them up in your sights, just using instinct.... Sounds cheesy but it worked for me.
I just completed the RAF Campaign and the last mission was great.. Amazing contrails and a real battle above the channel!
I won my medal and am really looking forward to working my way through Operation Sealion next....

dburne
Jul-09-2014, 19:33
Thanks Don, somehow I did it..
Canopy open, head out, circling above the water using the reflection of the moon in the water to spot shadows.... Easily the hardest mission so far! No real way to line them up in your sights, just using instinct.... Sounds cheesy but it worked for me.
I just completed the RAF Campaign and the last mission was great.. Amazing contrails and a real battle above the channel!
I won my medal and am really looking forward to working my way through Operation Sealion next....

Congrats! Yeah that last mission is awesome, I really enjoyed it along with the whole campaign.
Huge congrats on completing that night mission! I may have to re-fly that campaign just to get another shot at it.