PDA

View Full Version : New to Arma 3

hnbdgr
Jul-14-2014, 06:58
Hi All,

I got Arma 3 in the steam summer sale and dove right into it. I played OF and arma 2 before so am not entirely new to this, but still wouldn't mind a few pointers.

-what is up with those hits/hp? I need to shoot those CSAT/AAF soldiers 5-6 times in the torso to kill them and every time they get hit, there is this weird "snap back" animation going on. I thought this game was released more than a year ago? Has it never been patched?

-The game still seems a bit clunky, it's really difficult to have a fluid experience especially in urban areas. I followed a tweaking guide and got some improved framerates but I'm on a steady 30 most of the time, this falls down much in urban areas. I can run clod really well on my rig, average 40 fps or so, is there some secret to making arma smooth?

- I'm really looking forward to the i44 mod for arma3 but it seems it will take some time for that to be released, can anyone recommend the most useful/common mods that people use in SP/MP?

-I'm still finetuning my keyboard mapping too, I find it very complicated atm, too much stuff going on, too many possible combinations/ permutations of keys. Can anyone recommend and easy layout? Note: My only gripe with default layouts is that I don't use SHIFT for running, I always use F(index finger) and have the rest of my fingers on WASD.. :)

many thanks for all answers.

Badger

ATAG_Freya
Jul-17-2014, 00:11
Find anything out yet? I muck about in the Arma from time to time and have similar questions...so far I'm quite pleased with the non modded install but I get my arse kicked frequently. Graphics seem smooth, I use gtx-660ti 2gb, I-7, but toned down the eye candy slightly, though I hardly notice it. Haven't even tried online stuff. Keymapping is fine for me, I use the g-13, it just takes time to set up till it feels right. Choppers are fun, so are vehicles, but tanks are tricky. And that's all I have to say about that right now.

hnbdgr
Jul-17-2014, 04:03
Hi Freya,

not much, my experience is similar to yours, have i5 and the same graphics card. I hate the clunky movement and the context menu, it's just awkward to use. SP enemies take too many hits to die, they shoot through trees, their aim is not affected by stamina or injury. There is no way to "rest" your rifle, there are no bipods,etc etc.

I did look into some mods that remedy some of these - apparently there's:

AGM for better realism
JSRS and Speed of Sound for sounds
Visual Blastcore for visual effects

Some additional realism/medical mods: XMedSys, TFAR

BWmod for added german bundeswehr units

There are other non military mods like altis life(gta-like?) and breaking point(dayz)

Somebody mentioned I should Filter for "CTI" and find a warfare server - will try it later.

Overall opinion is divided, I think there's not a truly decent mod out there, I think the game is too limiting - Really it's the same game it was since OF, except they upgraded graphics and animations.

I've got really high hopes for Project Reality 2 - could be everything that arma 3 isn't, the visuals are amazing and if they polish the gameplay, movement etc. we could be onto a winner there, god knows how long till that's released though.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBO2LXRuzZVzN7ufqS4VU3WTStPG5QMi_