PDA

View Full Version : Loadout settings,

Tonka
Mar-05-2012, 10:50
Has anyone got any tips for best load-outs on the Red aircraft?

I have been experimenting with the ammo selections a little, and i'm now using armour piercing and incendiary rounds, but with tracer on two of the eight guns too. Am i right in thinking that the tracer rounds have no damage impact and are just there for show?

Also, is there a way to figure out the firing rate of a particular weapon, so i can put a tracer round in every nth slot to give me an idea of how many seconds worth of ammo i have fired? Its a tad annoying to have to RTB when you're on the tail of an easy target but out of ammo!

Thanks.

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-05-2012, 11:30
Hi Tonka!

For loadouts I'm currently using, in each gunbelt, equal representation of DeWilde, AP, white incendiary tracer, and Ball #7.

For convergences I put outermost guns at 250 yds (horizontal & vertical) and work down to 150 yds for the innermost pair. This seems to work best for my style of attacking bombers to best effect when closing on them. I set my gunsight for 250 yds and 60 foot wingspan.

For 109's I simply bail out. :shocked:

I set my residual loadout at "75" with some red tracer added to the regular loadout which gives me about 3 - 4 seconds notice of going winchester. In a perfect world I would break off my attack at the first sign of red tracer and head home with a bit of ammo left to defend myself. Reality check: I continue blazing away, red tracers and all, until I really AM outta ammo then scurry for home trying to look unimportant. :bgsmile:

Tonka
Mar-05-2012, 11:47
Thanks Snapper!

Some of that went over my head, i'm a noob remember!

So Winchester? Is that code for out of ammo?

I've just noticed the Residue bit in the loadout screen, i'm gonna have to read up on this a little i think!

I haven't messed with the convergence yet, but i think i should now i'm finding myself on the tail of other planes more frequently.

*Runs off to google and to find that IL2 manual i know i've got here somewhere*

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-05-2012, 12:45
"Winchester" = oh crap, I'm out of ammo

"Bingo" = out of fuel

"Fence in" = crossing enemy lines

"Fence out" = crossing back into friendly/neutral lines

"Gonna take a short break" = desperate need to urinate

:bgsmile:

Tonka
Mar-05-2012, 12:50
Got it, thanks.

:thumbsup:

Dutch
Mar-05-2012, 12:59
I have been experimenting with the ammo selections a little, and i'm now using armour piercing and incendiary rounds, but with tracer on two of the eight guns too. Am i right in thinking that the tracer rounds have no damage impact and are just there for show?

Also, is there a way to figure out the firing rate of a particular weapon, so i can put a tracer round in every nth slot to give me an idea of how many seconds worth of ammo i have fired? Its a tad annoying to have to RTB when you're on the tail of an easy target but out of ammo!

Thanks.

Now I'm no expert, but the default loadouts are supposedly 'historically accurate', so firstly I'd look at convergence rather than loadout.

I've tried some weird recommendations over the last 11 months, including 'well the vertical and horizontal are the wrong way around, so set horizontal at 600 and vertical at 150' which was bloody hopeless.

I've settled on 150/150 for all eight guns, with 4 guns firing just DeWilde and 4 guns just AP. I can't see where I'm firing with no tracer, but if I trust the gunsight, this setup makes quite a mess of 'em.

You'll soon get used to how long the ammo doesn't last. :uhoh

Talisman
Mar-06-2012, 05:37
Gents,

When flying red and setting convergence range, should we input the required range in yards or
convert to mtrs and imput the range in mtrs? I have been converting yards to mts and putting
in the range numbers in mtrs rather than yards. Should I be doing this? What do you do?
Also, when flying with icons on, is the range to the aircraft in front given in mtrs or yards if you
are flying red? Thoughts?

By the way, great flying with you chaps on the ATAG server; long may it continue.

Dutch
Mar-06-2012, 08:29
When flying red and setting convergence range, should we input the required range in yards or
convert to mtrs and imput the range in mtrs?

I've used my own rough method, whereby I've assumed the units on the setting screen to be metres (150). Then when setting the ringsight I've added an inch per metre, (150/36=4.16 or 5yds for good luck) so set the ringsight at 155 ish.

This might be unscientific, but it works for me! I generally find that the heat of combat rarely allows for such precise use of the sight anyway. I may even try using 75/75m in the settings screen and compensating with the wingspan dial to get even closer convergence. A 109 at 150m still looks like a matchstick to me!

I never fly with icons on.

All down to personal preference I suppose.

Tonka
Mar-06-2012, 16:25
Thanks for all the info chaps. Its all very useful, appreciate it thanks!

:salute:

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Mar-06-2012, 23:35
My pref is to have tracer rounds in one of the outside guns. I set residue to the opposite outside gun with tracers. I mainly do that so that the enemy can't tell if I'm low on ammo. I wouldn't want an enemy to put 2 and 2 together if he saw my tracers change color and then me stop firing.

Convergance I've been going back and forth between 150 and 200. It doesn't matter much in the Allied planes because you can actually set the gunsight to the wingspan of the plane you're attacking and the convergance of the guns (just move your mouse over the turn knobs below the gunsight)

Basically set wingspan to ~30 and your convergance to 150 yards, then when the edges of your gunsight line up to the 109's wings, pull the trigger and wait for the PK message. I've never really worried about the difference in convergence between meters and yards. It doesn't really matter because you're usually shooting at moving targets anyways. A little bit of extra dispersion might help.

For German planes... I just close my eyes and pull the trigger. It's impossible to keep that thing stable when you're shooting cannons.

ATAG_Deacon
Mar-07-2012, 07:53
you can actually set the gunsight to the wingspan of the plane you're attacking and the convergance of the guns (just move your mouse over the turn knobs below the gunsight)

I found it is actually faster to set the up/down + left/right arrow keys on the keyboard to adjust the convergence distance + wingspan instead of fumbling for the mouse...just my preference though. :hiding:

jocko417
Aug-20-2013, 15:59
Bit of thread resurrection here, I've been searching for an answer to my question:

Is there a way to set the gun sight range setting on the RAF kites permanently in the ini file or somewhere so I can set it at 200 yards for example and have it stay there so every time I get into my aircraft I don't have to reset the conv range to 200 on the gun sight? Once your gun convergence has been adjusted by the erks wouldn't you just match the setting on the gun sight in the cockpit and just leave it that way in RL?

Thanks!

1lokos
Aug-20-2013, 17:49
jocko417

AFAIK, no.

This info is save in a internal file (aircraft.ini?) not accessible for editing, as example Hurricane MkI:

loadout Empty loadout Default Hook _Gun00 Gun Gun.Browning303MkII Reserve 300 Dispersion 1.1 deg ConvergenceH 370 yd ConvergenceV 370 yd Clip 300 ReloadTime 0 sec & Hook _Gun01 & Hook _Gun02 & Hook _Gun03 & Hook _Gun04 & Hook _Gun05 & Hook _Gun06 & Hook _Gun07

370 yd = 338.328 meters (default convergence in GUI). A mistery why MG at least dont use the R.A.F "default" of 400 yds...

Perhaps TF can edit this reducing for 200 ~250 yds... :)

Ops! You are talking about Range and I about convergence...:doh:

Sokol1

jocko417
Aug-21-2013, 01:38
Yes, at least once you change your gun convergence in the Player's aircraft it will stay that way. My question was why do I always have to set the gunsight range to match the guns every time I start a mission, would be nice if it would default to whatever the gun convergence had been set to.

ElGringo
Aug-23-2013, 20:23
Look there

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5193

EDIT: Lol same as Sokol1 talking bout convergences...