PDA

View Full Version : All Controls erased and gone all settings.

MADDMANN
Mar-06-2012, 00:36
Salute gents,

I hope to post here to let off a little anger on this subject. plz i hope to have leeway here.

I indeed have spent over 120 hours just testing my controls moving my sliders in 100% deadzone 0% deadzone ect to make my plane better respond to my flight style just in offline mode and testing in online mode. As some Blue may know i share my settings to those who need it most and they have helped some via TS.

well... yes indeed it happend. i lost all my controls a week or so ago. ( one day stick just didnt work at all) i try to add all buttons/settings the game just would not remeber my settings over 8 hours of trying.

Even with a (old) backup and working on it.. it still wont fly as it did before i often stall out on my enemy where i never did before. frankly it upsets me to the point of not wanting playing at all Vs human pilots.

(if every fight u stalled out when it never did before, you know my pain)... after over 270 hours total flight i feel like im flying a loosing battle with my controls not working at all the way i like to fly.

I am very sorry red i prove a simple easy kill after the game forgetting my settings and sending me back to the starting line.

i can only say this.. i tire of the thought i need to spend another 100 hours testing and changing my controls. i hope to see you soon but i will not play feeling like dead meat where my plane simply wont manuver as it did before the controls were (erased) via steam or what may be..i need a small break i cant deal the way i feel current.

After over 13 years playing WWII sims i have a high bar i hold to my own flying.

that does include turnfighting and winning more than not vs hurc's and spit's over the last months here on atag.

I will not accept my only option is to "run" every time i see a enemy.

So if you see me less its not due to im waiting on a "patch" Steam frankly erased all my hard work over 2 months and left me starting all over ..And i will not accept failure due to my airframe not responding as it did prior.

I hope to see you soon if i can find the settings (again) that let me fly the way i wish.
Great server, Great gents, I hope to see you withing the next 2 months when i again have the control i had prior to Steam erasing my hard work.

~S~

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-06-2012, 04:43
Hi Madmann, I'm sorry to learn of your control problem. I understand how absolutely frustrating it can be when so many hours have been devoted to perfecting the controls responses to your own style of flying, only to have it taken away with no warning or explanation.

Recently I began working with the S-curve responses of my Warthog joystick using its Thrustmaster TARGET software. In my case I was having difficulty with fine control of the X- and Y- axis -- the gunsight was jumping around as I was trying to line up on the target. One option was to get an extension on the stick to give it a longer throw, but unfortunately the one guy who fabricates these stick extensions is taking a break from production at this time. Catseye suggested the S-curve adjustments which in some ways emulates extending the stick in terms of fine control near the center zone, but care must be taken at further degrees of stick throw since the response curve quickly steepens -- this can result in a sudden stall situation in a Hurricane (less so in a Spitfire).

Even though like everyone else I do a "Save As" of my controls profile, I still don't trust Steam's involvement in this regard. Every time I do a reboot on my computer, the axis assignments change on my CH rudder pedals and Quadrant. Although it's a minor annoyance to reassign them in-game, it just reminds me how easily Steam can muck things up with the controls.

I hope you can find a resolution to your dilemma. Is there an outside software program that you can utilize (similar to TARGET, Foxy, CH Control Manager, etc) to adjust your joystick response profiles independant of CoD/Steam's involvement?

The amount of hours you've devoted to this sim and your flying skills is shared by your fellow ATAG Forum members; we are an unusual group to put up with all this sim's finicky ways to enjoy the unique rewards of flying a successful combat mission despite the many difficulties and obtacles. Sometimes it helps to step back a bit, take a breath (or shot of whiskey), and re-evaluate the situation as you're doing. Please keep us posted on your progress and feel welcome to discuss, in depth, any problems AND successes you encounter.

Snapper

ATAG_Bliss
Mar-06-2012, 15:18
That's a shame! I know just how frustrating that can be.

Did you happen to do a "save as" for your control assignments by chance? I can't remember what the default .ini file is called (control.ini / user.ini??) but the 1st thing I did was do a "save as" to bliss.ini. That way if I ever need to reinstall the game, I can grab that file and erase everything without worry.

I know this isn't much after the fact, but it will at least keep you from every having that problem again.

Sorry again!

MajorBorris
Mar-06-2012, 15:57
How about a sys restore?

MADDMANN
Mar-06-2012, 16:54
First, TY all for your help and understanding on this how frustrating it can be.

It seems i have a issue possible with hardware as well.
I have had a PM from a m8 who handed me my settings that i gave to him just a few days ago. TY M8! (settings 100% deadzone0% have been put back about right but..)

Every time i load game start QMB my 109 goes about 40 deg nose up before i get in the cockpit to use HEAVY trim negitive to keep it level. even at slow speeds 200 kmh i have to use neg trim where i used positive trim before / after takeoff.

Even then heavy negitive trim is needed to fly level. the effect,

airframe stalls out after 2 turns and shudders hard where it was smooth before. stall is at 180 kmh where with aleron and rudder i could hold it at 125-130kmh with 30deg AoA.

this changes the entire feel of the airframe like i have all my settings stock or set wrong even when i know they are very close to what they were if not exaclty where they were.

I will be testing with other hardware to see if its a issue just with this joystick and replacing pots on elevator or rotary trim..

other than that for no reason the game makes the plane go nose up hard even with the joystick passing all tests in devices and joysticks ect.

I thank you for putting up with my talk on this. my frustration is high but i at least have a plan to test/fix/retest this issue. I hope to have good news in a few days.

TY again gents, Class act here at ATAG. i thank you.
~S~

MajorBorris
Mar-06-2012, 17:35
check to see if your elevator trim is assigned to another control or its on one that spikes? maybe its reversed?

Im stabing at the dark I know : /

Doc
Mar-06-2012, 17:55
You know I can reproduce this problem on my CH. Since I have not got the Yoke in my CH manager and if I plug it in I still have some things that work and some that quit. But the ones that do work remarkably like what he describes here. Unplug the Yoke and its all good. Not saying this is what the issue is but hoping it generates more thought on what it could be causing it.

MADDMANN
Mar-06-2012, 20:45
I tested a old joystick for elevator trim rotary pic below (bad throttle) but the pot for the elevator and wheel breaks tested ok, no deadzone issue no sticking problem. So i killed it! removed the parts, ( it broke and i saved it for parts about a year ago.)

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo15/xmaddmannx/Gaming%20setup/100_4463.jpg

I just replaced my aleron pot not even a month ago with more parts from the same stick here in this pic.

I hope this will fix this issue. If not...:angry: i think i will put more parts in it (parts from my ammo collection) might try shotgun or 7.62x54 to see if it will help..at least i will feel better after i shoot a few dozen rounds into it. :shoot:

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-06-2012, 21:20
This has nothing to do with your situation, but I have a Cougar HOTAS carefully repackaged and sitting in my closet downstairs -- for over 10 years now!

Why?

1) The throttle pot got fried when I tried to flash the latest firmware update to my HOTAS. I had failed to disconnect the throttle first per instructions -- a tough penalty for attempting this after a long day at work. And...

2) The joystick X- and Y- pots got spiky.

I was tempted to do exactly what you suggested -- but with 7.62 x 39.....then shipping the remains to Thrustmaster Guillemot. LOL. Instead, over a decade later, I rewarded their shoddy production practices by buying their Warthog HOTAS. Fortunately, they got THAT right using Halls sensors!

Badger
Mar-06-2012, 23:41
I have the ones you gave me awhile back. I can give them to you if you'd like.

Badger

MADDMANN
Mar-07-2012, 00:47
Badger m8, ~S~

Ty for your help here i thank you for seeing this and posting. i did get a copy of my settings again from a gent i passed them out to last week or so i do have my settings re-set. , But that only left me scratcing my head as it didnt come close to solving the issue im having now. check my post above m8.

i think i have a hardware issue but i am working my way through fixing this ol' trusty getting rusty flight stick.

seems it may be a short or dead spot near negitive trim center. after i replace the pots i hope to re-test my settings for final adjustment.

@Snapper I would love to see a youtube vid of that cougar getting its just reward :hpyclp:

i will show it to my X45:shocked:. it may scare it into working 3 years no issues.

Again Thx all for the help and understanding here. i hope to have good news over the next few days.
~S~

MOHAWK
Mar-09-2012, 12:11
Snapper - What are you doing with a 7.62x39 in Canada ??? I thinks some gov officials will be Knoking on or down your door soon ???-- if you want to hide it ? i'll keep it at my house for you ?.

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-09-2012, 13:03
I gotta 'fess up: I sold most of my firearms (handguns & long guns) last winter to free up funds for new video equipment. Broke my heart! :(

All were/are fully registered -- but what a pain! I've renewed my Possession and Acquisition licence, though, cause you never know.... LOL

(My 7.62 x 39 was a CZ 52/57 semiauto. Ugly as sin but well engineered. I had to get the 10-round mags permanently blocked to 5 round capacity to help keep Canada a safer place. :))

MADDMANN
Mar-20-2012, 15:37
Very Sorry gents i forgot to update my freaking out on this subject :doh!:

After taking apart a old broken flight stick i used the "like-new" parts to replace 2 bad pots that were going dead causing adverse flying symptoms (that means it sucked to fly with a broken stick:banghead:).the main aleron pot and the elevator trim pot was bad

*NOW the flight stick works well feels a little different but i will adjust over time to it.

I thank you ALL for you help and the positive feedback on my rant about the problem i was having. starting with controls all gone to finding out i had a serious issue with my flight stick. The path from anger to solution took a little while but thank you all for the help.
~S~

Doc
Mar-20-2012, 16:12
Nice to know you got it working. Hope to see you on again.

MajorBorris
Mar-20-2012, 16:54
Way to stick with it! (no pun intended lol)

ATAG_Bliss
Mar-20-2012, 19:46
Welcome back Madmann - hopefully your control woes are finally over :thumbsup: