https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lk67WwXcQQ

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/dora/

Sokol1

TheVino3
Aug-03-2014, 23:21
:gourmet:

ATAG_Colander
Aug-03-2014, 23:23
Is the backers page still down or is it just me?

Skoshi_Tiger
Aug-03-2014, 23:56
Watching that video is ALMOST enough to make a man move to the Dark Side!

Looks very nice!

Falco
Aug-04-2014, 00:08
Backers page still down for me

Chuck_Owl
Aug-04-2014, 01:12
Still down for me.

"Presses F5"

Still down.

"Presses F5"

Still...

"Presses F5"

Down...

"Presses F5" "Presses F5" "Presses F5" "Presses F5" "Presses F5" "Presses F5"

Hood
Aug-04-2014, 04:43
Tee-hee the bar is thinner but the view is just as bad.

:recon:

Tomorrow will be my first foray into DCS - provided the WWII backers page is working...

Hood

Foul Ole Ron
Aug-04-2014, 05:00
The view looks better to me though it is a different model so possibly improvements were made. At least with this pit you can see your lower panel instruments which BOS don't seem to be able to work out. It's a much nicer looking pit too than the decidedly average BOS effort. There's quite a few things I like in BOS but a lot of the pits could really use a once over before going final. Really looking forward to downloading this but as a WW2 backer I'm not overly optimistic at this point that ED will have the backers site ready by tomorrow.

Hood
Aug-04-2014, 05:11
It's a much nicer looking pit too than the decidedly average BOS effort.

You would hope so for $50 for 1 plane.

Must confess though I don't understand the issue over the lower half of the BoS cockpit. I've changed my default view and can see it fine.

I suspect that I'll play with the DCS FW190 for a little while but will shelf it until a better environment is available including Spits and the new map etc - the Edge stuff looks stunning.

Hood

Vlerkies
Aug-04-2014, 05:35
Looks comfy. Good cause I am going to be spending lots and lots of time in that cockpit.
Can't wait!

Foul Ole Ron
Aug-04-2014, 05:42
Must confess though I don't understand the issue over the lower half of the BoS cockpit. I've changed my default view and can see it fine.

To be able to properly view the lower instruments the way they would have been visible to the pilot requires you drag the view back as far as you possibly can and then lower your view to the point where the revi sight is no longer visible:

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad53/CianQ/Cian/FW190_1.png (http://s921.photobucket.com/user/CianQ/media/Cian/FW190_1.png.html)

If you raise your view in order that the revi sight is visible you can't really see the lower instruments fully e.g. prop pitch and also you lose most of your RPM gauge which is kind of an important gauge to keep an eye on and probably didn't require the pilot to duck his head:

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad53/CianQ/Cian/FW190_2.png (http://s921.photobucket.com/user/CianQ/media/Cian/FW190_2.png.html)

Overall they seem to be asking the user to make compromises that other sims have somehow avoided which makes it, in my opinion, the worst pit in the game.

HaJa
Aug-04-2014, 06:17
There is a gap missing between top and bottom panel. Also the lower panel has a slight tilt that is not
in BoS.

Tvrdi
Aug-04-2014, 06:27
Theres no sense in comparing simulation for casuals with simulator for "hardcore" simmers....

With that said cant wait to dogfight with Dora in P51 (Im forced to wait for discounts on Dora)....and surely cant wait for Europe 44 and P47...I hope MP will work well and then I can sell and uninstall every single sim except DCS and CLOD...

vranac
Aug-04-2014, 07:18
You would hope so for $50 for 1 plane.

How much you have paid for CloD planes ? You would pay the same for unfortunately unreleased "BoM".
BoS developers got all 3D work from MG. They used only 3D models and retexured them with a low resolution textures.
If they are restricted by time and money like they say, why they didn't use already finished textures ?
They were asked many times to provide hi-res textures optional for people who have hi-end graphic cards.

This Dora cockpit looks great.

Hood
Aug-04-2014, 09:16
How much you have paid for CloD planes ? You would pay the same for unfortunately unreleased "BoM".
BoS developers got all 3D work from MG. They used only 3D models and retexured them with a low resolution textures.
If they are restricted by time and money like they say, why they didn't use already finished textures ?
They were asked many times to provide hi-res textures optional for people who have hi-end graphic cards.

This Dora cockpit looks great.

Can't remember but it was probably around $65. For that I got some lovely cockpits and zero playability.

I agree the cockpit looks nice though slightly lifeless to my eyes. That isn't a criticism, just a subjective opinion.

Hood

vranac
Aug-04-2014, 11:36
Can't remember but it was probably around $65. For that I got some lovely cockpits and zero playability.

That was so because you didn't want to upgrade your PC. But I don't believe you because two of my friends were playing it on pretty weak graphic cards. 9600gt an 9800gt at the release.
Far from perfect but it was playable for them. Another friend is regular on ATAG and was playing with 9800gt also (maybe he upgraded by now).

Cassius
Aug-04-2014, 11:55
Cool!!! Waiting for!!!

Continu0
Aug-04-2014, 12:47
That was so because you didn't want to upgrade your PC.

Ah come on... that is a little bit harsh as well... nobody could play the game with the system requirements printed on the box. They were just wrong! And then there were the launcher-crashes...

Hood
Aug-04-2014, 13:27
Ah come on... that is a little bit harsh as well... nobody could play the game with the system requirements printed on the box. They were just wrong! And then there were the launcher-crashes...

No it's ignorant. I upgraded £1200 worth of kit just before official release. I7 950, 580 GTX etc. The thing was just so buggy it took 18 months to part fix then another age for TF to get it to where it is worth playing.

Playability isn't just about how many fps you get. I could "play" it but would have had more enjoyment from not even trying.

Hood

vranac
Aug-04-2014, 15:29
Hood, that CPU is from 2009. If you bought it in 2011 that was a bad choice. It's good for CloD if you OC it to 4.0 GHz.
I'm running gtx560 Ti from the release and didn't have any problems.

Hood
Aug-04-2014, 16:01
It was a Spec Ops overclocked bundle from Overclockers (UK) running at 4.3Mhz. Everything else was perfect.

CLOD was not playable. I was probably one of the few who had half decent fps but with so many freezes/crashes, GUI issues, broken programming etc etc it was not playable. I spent an age trying to get it working to the point it was enjoyable. I failed.

But the above is history as the thing is now as good as it ought to have been on release. There aren't many fixes needed now but they are still major ones for me. AI that doesn't fixate on one person, weather that doesn't kill fps, more variety etc. I really hope TF come through for the community's sake.

There is some truth to the upgrade = fix but only a very small part of it was that. You shouldn't need cutting edge hardware for a game. Maybe if you're running triple screens then yes but that is for the relatively wealthy minority.

I have no idea how my new-ish build will run DCS and EDGE but I'm looking forward to finding out.

Hood

ps i7 4770k oc'd Z87 Sabertooth, 16Gb RAM, 780 GTX. TIR 5, Warthog + pedals etc

pps I wonder if the D9 files will be available at 00:01.

vranac
Aug-04-2014, 16:06

Continu0 my friend was playing it on 9600GT and cheap AMD x2 and that was below minimal requirements IIRC. With lowered resolution and settings on low of course.
CTD's started later with one of the patches when they started to tweak colours and other stuff. I don't know but I had them two or three weekly.
Maybe because I keep my OS clean.

Sorry for off topic.

9./JG52_J-HAT
Aug-04-2014, 16:12
Why does every discussion about any other sim needs to end with an argument about DCS x BoS x CloD?

CloD was crap on release. Period. BoS has its own forum section and will be a nice sim on its own.

Now thanks for the video, Sokol. I am so looking forward to this!

ATAG_Colander
Aug-04-2014, 16:22
Why does every discussion about any other sim needs to end with an argument about DCS x BoS x CloD?
+1

Hood
Aug-04-2014, 17:55
+1

You'll have to ask those that start it. I don't know why they can't let it be, but there you go.

ED/DCS backer page still down.

Hood

vranac
Aug-04-2014, 20:03
It was a Spec Ops overclocked bundle from Overclockers (UK) running at 4.3Mhz. Everything else was perfect.

CLOD was not playable. I was probably one of the few who had half decent fps but with so many freezes/crashes, GUI issues, broken programming etc etc it was not playable. I spent an age trying to get it working to the point it was enjoyable. I failed.

When you say this you just show your incompentence regarding a hardware. So those Spec ops guys sold you a 2 years old platform for 1200 quid ?
Astonishing. And I doubt that they sold you i7 950 running at 4.3 GHz.
I always build my own PC's and I OC them just for il2. Even old il2 was heavily dependant of CPU speed. RoF also. DCS , BoS are the same.

What is your point here ? I have a lot of tracks from the release with my poor gtx560, no problems at all.
ATAG was SYN server then and Repka was more popular with 3 servers running.

ATAG_Snapper
Aug-04-2014, 23:29
This otherwise excellent thread is going off topic in a nasty way. Regrettably it's now closed.

Sokol -- I've moved your last post with the embedded video of the DCS FW 190 D-9 Taxi and Take Off to a new thread. Hopefully others will show the respect it's due and stay on topic.