Aug-06-2014, 01:10
I know what I'm doing this weekend

Continu0
Aug-06-2014, 06:28
Fw 190 released?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2139031#post2139031

Foul Ole Ron
Aug-06-2014, 07:11
Not yet - the backers page was updated so we can choose what planes we want and get the Dora serial key.

Now we're just waiting for ED to release the installer - will probably happen at some point later today would be my guess.

=vit_unit=
Aug-06-2014, 09:35
Ready to download it?
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/modules/dora/

Hood
Aug-12-2014, 03:38
The D9 is very nice and it's quite docile on the ground and easy to take off (stick back!)and land in. It seems to take a long time to bleed energy to get down to 240km/h for flaps then gear.

I had massive problems in the air until I realised that when assigning axes it also assigned commands to the rudder pedals, so my left and right brakes were also ailerons - very confusing. I do like the joystick curves - a setting of 28 seemed great with a Warthog stick.

For me there is a little bit of a lack of visceral enjoyment at the moment, maybe because it's limited in its use in theatre. That said it was quite good fun dogfighting P51s until you shoot at them - the visual effects are underwhelming but I know that's a generic "complaint" about DCS.

The terrain looks good as does the cockpit and I am salivating at the thought of how EDGE/DCS 2.0 will look. I only hope they also cut down the number of buttons - thank god for the cheats to start and stop the engine as all that button pressing and switch toggling just irritates me. Each to their own though!

Overall it was very positive for my first foray into DCS. I can see that when a Typhoon is available it will be absolutely awesome for ground pounding across Normandy.

Hood

ATAG_Torian
Aug-12-2014, 06:41
After quite a few takeoff "adventures" I found that using the toe brakes to correct for drift until the tail wheel got up was the only way to keep it straight down the runway. The rudder didn't seem to work at all until the tail wheel was up.
Agree totally that u need to allow plenty of distance to bleed speed for landing.
In the air for cruising u need to keep it at 500kph or above as the rudder seems to be trimmed for higher speeds. Much under that and u are continually having to adjust rudder. The left clik to make things go one way and then right clik to make them go the other way threw me for quite a while. The open and close canopy controls are actually bugged in the controls input menu.....they are reversed. Open canopy actually closes it and close canopy opens it. The default convergence looks to be set fairly close. At least it looks closer than I would like it. Haven't quite worked out whether the radiator is auto or not. Temps go quite high if don't open the cowling but have left it alone and not burnt an engine out yet.
Definitely a heavier feeling plane than the P51, at least at lower alts. Haven't flown it at 30,000ft yet so will be interesting to see how it performs up there.
All in all tho, I love it. Doesn't seem to have the nasty stall quirks of the P51 but I wouldn't like my chances in it in a dogfight against the stang.

Foul Ole Ron
Aug-12-2014, 06:53
The D9 is very nice and it's quite docile on the ground and easy to take off (stick back!)and land in. It seems to take a long time to bleed energy to get down to 240km/h for flaps then gear.

I was having the same issue with bleeding energy as well. I now throttle back until 400kmh and then drop take-off flaps. That'll bleed speed down to 300kmh fairly quickly at which I'll drop full landing flaps and then gear shortly after that. Can bring it in at 250kmh towards the runway then.

Foul Ole Ron
Aug-12-2014, 07:00
Haven't quite worked out whether the radiator is auto or not. Temps go quite high if don't open the cowling but have left it alone and not burnt an engine out yet.

It's auto but Yo-Yo provided an explanation here on how you can cause damage by pushing things faster than the radiator can react: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=128147

Personally I treat it the same as in the Mustang - if going to be getting into a situation that requires the engine to be pushed I'll manually open up the radiator(s) beforehand so I don't have to worry about auto keeping up. Also if you get some battle damage to the auto system it won't matter either. It takes about 15 seconds to go from fully closed to fully open in the Dora I think.

Hood
Aug-12-2014, 12:45
Double post

Hood
Aug-12-2014, 12:46
I was trying controls and couldn't get the cowl flaps to open, or at least I saw no difference on the external model. Do you think this was because I wasn't waiting long enough or do you have to switch from auto to manual?

And I keep getting a yellow or green cross floating around every so often - any idea how I can get rid of it?

Hood

Foul Ole Ron
Aug-12-2014, 12:59
I was trying controls and couldn't get the cowl flaps to open, or at least I saw no difference on the external model. Do you think this was because I wasn't waiting long enough or do you have to switch from auto to manual?

And I keep getting a yellow or green cross floating around every so often - any idea how I can get rid of it?

It you open the radiator flaps it definitely shows in the external module. It will take about 15 seconds to go from fully closed to fully open and it's not as pronounced looking as in the La-5 (nor can you see the status from in the cockpit either). There's no switch from auto to manual in the Dora - wasn't present in that model. Once you use the open the radiator flaps using Left Alt +A they'll stay in that open position.

The yellow or green cross is the mouse cursor - it's a yellow cross if there's no action that it can perform where it's pointed at and it'll turn green when over a switch or something that you can use the mouse to interact with. If you don't move the mouse for a few seconds it'll disappear.

Hood
Aug-12-2014, 15:19
Thanks FOR.

I've posted a controls image showing what I meant by conflicting controls, save that I've already removed any conflicts. As I say in the image, I had rudder affecting pitch and the toe brakes affecting roll. Not cool.

For most things I'm clearing all categories then mapping whatever I want to keep. I'll play with the cockpit position next as I always seem to have my head bending forwards so I can only see the bottom of the sight (once I've made it smaller that is).

Hood

Foul Ole Ron
Aug-12-2014, 16:32
Ah ok I know what you mean. It's always the same with every new module you buy. You always have to clear out the duplicate assignments. I clear everything out except for track ir movement and then work up from there. It's kind of annoying but just takes a few minutes so not the end of the world. Still you'd think ED would have it coded that things like rudder pedals would only apply to the rudder movement.

I change the mapping for cockpit up, down, etc to the arrow keys. Easier to move around than the default mappings. I just have to shift my view right a touch to be good to go. I also use the Mod by PeterP which makes the cockpit view in all aircraft more realistic - highly recommend you give it a go:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=96116

Uriah
Aug-12-2014, 18:26
Torian wrote "After quite a few takeoff "adventures" I found that using the toe brakes to correct for drift until the tail wheel got up was the only way to keep it straight down the runway. The rudder didn't seem to work at all until the tail wheel was up." I find the same true for the 190-A in BoS. It took a long time to learn how to taxi around, particularly if I wanted to move to the right. But I did learn and can taxi about just fine now.

Hood
Aug-12-2014, 18:59
In DCS I just need to figure out the twitchiness and wing drop. Even at 500km/h with low AoA it wants to tip the left wing down. Keeping a steep climb at say 250km/h is even twitchier - reality I guess. Too used to the E1 in CLOD...

I've not tweaked the Joy_Y curve to include pitch curvature of 30 and deadzone at 5. It helps a little bit but knife fighting with the AI P51 is difficult - scissoring results in wing drop to much for my liking. Time to change to old school 190 flying - fast and tiny stick movements.

Hood

Foul Ole Ron
Aug-13-2014, 05:51
Yeah I find I have to be a bit silkier with the inputs in the Mustang / Dora compared to CloD & BOS. I think I use 20 curve for pitch and about 25 for rudder. The Dora does seem to have a habit of snapping into a wing drop with very little warning which I think is realistic.

The Spit IX is going to be insane once that arrives - pilots who flew it said you just had to think where you wanted it to go and I think I saw something from Yo-Yo where he said a 1/4 inch travel would bring the plane to stall so some curves will definitely be required!