PDA

View Full Version : Ready for download!

gavagai
Aug-06-2014, 10:43
Fw 190 ready for download! My first impression is that ED has done a very good job with this one.

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/dora/

:salute:

Remon
Aug-06-2014, 10:54
Was it really so easy to fly? I have some problems with the take off but I believe that's mostly because I have no pedals, and I've seen that you need to use the diff. brakes a lot, but it's really hard to stall, and even if it gets into one it almost pulls itself out without any input. Or maybe I haven't tried so hard?

9./JG52_J-HAT
Aug-06-2014, 12:33
Got it, thanks!

Is there a way to copy the existing controls from the Mustang to the Dora? I really didn't want to bind everything again from scratch.

farley
Aug-06-2014, 12:58
I have downloaded the Dora, but when i attempt to load it into DCS i get this screen. I have DCS in Steam set to automatically update.

Do I need to download it directly into Steam? And if so, how do i do that (I did try to).

Any advice? Thanks for any help you can give.

Foul Ole Ron
Aug-06-2014, 13:14
You can't use keys received from ED on Steam - it's highlighted in red at the top of the page when you're buying any DCS product from ED

Steam changed their policy recently so there's nothing that can be done. Keys bought on Steam can be transferred to the ED DCS World though.

You'll need to download DCS World and install on your PC. Your key received from ED will work then. Personally I think you'd be better off switching your whole install off Steam.

farley
Aug-06-2014, 13:56
You can't use keys received from ED on Steam - it's highlighted in red at the top of the page when you're buying any DCS product from ED

Steam changed their policy recently so there's nothing that can be done. Keys bought on Steam can be transferred to the ED DCS World though.

You'll need to download DCS World and install on your PC. Your key received from ED will work then. Personally I think you'd be better off switching your whole install off Steam.

Thanks for that "Mr Foul".

I did see the note in red when i went back to the page. Guess maybe i will take it out of Steam.

Hood
Aug-06-2014, 18:50
It does seem very stable to me. Maybe that's because of our umpteen years' worth of experience. I expect I've only touched the surface of it though as I only tootled around for 15 minutes.

Hood

farley
Aug-06-2014, 20:25
Ron, i did what you suggested, and downloaded DCS World to my computer. I then downloaded the 190. Then, just for the heck of it, i copied the 190, pasted it into steam and ran it. Steam asked me for the serial number, i pasted that in, and voila! For whatever reason, i now have the 190 in Steam and on the computer. And they both seem to work fine.

Unfortunately, i have never gotten my freetrack to run well enough on DCS, and so, although i have had the Mustang for ages, I have yet to fly it. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get TrackIR. Is Track IR 5 that much better than 4?

Remon
Aug-06-2014, 21:22
Ron, i did what you suggested, and downloaded DCS World to my computer. I then downloaded the 190. Then, just for the heck of it, i copied the 190, pasted it into steam and ran it. Steam asked me for the serial number, i pasted that in, and voila! For whatever reason, i now have the 190 in Steam and on the computer. And they both seem to work fine.

Unfortunately, i have never gotten my freetrack to run well enough on DCS, and so, although i have had the Mustang for ages, I have yet to fly it. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get TrackIR. Is Track IR 5 that much better than 4?

Try the suggestion in this thread http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1448435&postcount=68

9./JG52 Ziegler
Aug-07-2014, 09:49
Got it, thanks!

Is there a way to copy the existing controls from the Mustang to the Dora? I really didn't want to bind everything again from scratch.

I don't think so because many of the commands are different?

Foul Ole Ron
Aug-07-2014, 10:18
Yeah a lot of the commands won't map over. Some things like trim, EZ 42 gunsight, gear, flaps are close enough though so it's not a total redo. What stick are you using? I did up a X52 Pro profile yesterday for myself which has most of the basic stuff.

ChiefRedCloud
Aug-07-2014, 10:37

This intrigues me. I bought the P-51 Mustang via DCS Steam and of course installed DCS World via Steam. Going on your post and recommendation, what is the best way to proceed? Because the Dora is definitely on my bucket list as is the F-86 Saber Jet. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Chief

Foul Ole Ron
Aug-07-2014, 11:04
I'd change my install to be non-Steam if I were you. You can download DCS World and use any existing Steam DCSW keys to activate these modules on ED DCSW. One advantage to doing this is that you can buy games then in both ED sales and Steam sales and use the key you get in your ED DSCW version.

farley
Aug-07-2014, 12:38
This intrigues me. I bought the P-51 Mustang via DCS Steam and of course installed DCS World via Steam. Going on your post and recommendation, what is the best way to proceed? Because the Dora is definitely on my bucket list as is the F-86 Saber Jet. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Chief

Hi Chief.

Have a look at my posts above. Why not try downloading DCS World and the 190 to your computer and then transferring back to Steam. It seemed to work for me, and i am curious to see what you might find if you try the same.

Broodwich
Aug-07-2014, 13:32
I'm glad I'm starting both at the same time, because I can go through and setup the controls for both rather than have to refigure everything out.

Also is there a way to get harder ai in quick mission? It's pretty dumb by default

Foul Ole Ron
Aug-07-2014, 14:06
Open up the mission editor - there's a selection there for skill. The AI isn't massively intelligent - mostly does vertical climbs, some scissors and spiralling dives. It does tend to keep it's energy pretty well though which is where the main challenge comes from.

9./JG52_J-HAT
Aug-07-2014, 15:51
Hey FOR,

I'm also using an X52 Pro. I had more time today and started binding the new keys (which weren't that many as you guys said). What I wanted was to just copy the general ones, like zoom in, out, landing gear, flaps, but indeed, too many things are different. Maybe there are still some left, but I'll bind them as I go.

I should have started using the profile utility from the beginning. But I started binding everything within CloD and DCS and ended up with that.

Broodwich
Aug-08-2014, 00:18
Wait you can't set your convergence? Wtf is this crap

ATAG_Torian
Aug-08-2014, 01:52
Wait you can't set your convergence? Wtf is this crap

U can't set it in the P51 either. Maybe they will make them adjustable later but for now u just use what u get.

Foul Ole Ron
Aug-08-2014, 02:50
Would be nice if we could change the convergence in the 190 but it's accurate enough that there's no option for the Mustang. Pilots in the earlier P51 models with the fixed gun sights would sometimes shorten the convergence but with the P51D and the k-14 gyro gun sight the USAF adopted a standard harmonisation pattern which produced good results. It wasn't designed to all land in the same area but would scatter a bit to maximise critical hits being scored in vital areas around the engine and cockpit areas and would also work well across various angles:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=95689&highlight=convergence&page=5

I think if you look in the USAF manual there were two approved harmonisation patterns. One for air-to-air and one for ground attack. Changing these patterns took a bit of work from the ground crew and wouldn't have been done at the whim of the pilot but on the mission tactical requirements.

ATAG_Torian
Aug-08-2014, 04:46
Looks like u can't map any trims to an axis on the 190. Hope that is just because it's beta and will SOON be fixed !!

Foul Ole Ron
Aug-08-2014, 05:20
The only trim is the horizontal stabilizer and that was a 2-way switch for nose-heavy and tail-heavy - wasn't a trim wheel. If you put it on an axis you'd need something like mid axis range = do nothing, upper axis range = trim nose-heavy and lower axis range = trim tail-heavy. I prefer to use HAT buttons as that mirrors better how they worked in reality.

9./JG52_J-HAT
Aug-08-2014, 05:22
Torian, from what I understood the elevator trim was a switch (loook at the left side console, next to the flaps and landing gear buttons). So if you are in realistic mode, you can't map it to an axis.
I haven't found the other trims, so I am assuming it's like in many other LW planes, where they were set on the ground for an specific speed.

Foul Ole Ron
Aug-08-2014, 07:32
I haven't found the other trims, so I am assuming it's like in many other LW planes, where they were set on the ground for an specific speed.

Yep the rest were ground set in the 190 for cruise settings. I've always found that a weird omission. The 190 is constantly falling out of rudder trim when below / above cruise speed and needs minor but constant corrections with the pedals to keep the ball centred. I've found it a pretty undesirable trait so far. I can see why test pilots who flew captured versions regularly pointed it out as a negative.

ATAG_Torian
Aug-08-2014, 09:30
Ah ok, thx for that info. It is kind of a strange omission for such an advanced aircraft.

Chuck_Owl
Aug-09-2014, 00:13
Ah ok, thx for that info. It is kind of a strange omission for such an advanced aircraft.

I think I remembered somewhere that German pilots had a set RPM to use as a reference. Their rudders were balanced beforehand by ground crews to counter a certain engine torque at a given RPM setting.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2138446&postcount=1

From the mighty Yo-Yo, Eagle Dynamics genius and living god:

Some time ago I posted a preliminary report how Dora flies in DCS. It had been written just after a week of test flights. In July I was very glad to spend a lot of time with Erich Brunotte. He is a former Luftwaffe pilot, he flew Ju-52, Bf-109s, FW-190A and Dora as well.

His feedback about Dora FM was really priceless. Moreover, thanks to Erich, now we have a unique document - 190-D9 Pilots Manual that was not available before and is a very useful addition to our sources.

So, we are very grateful for Erich's assistance because it gave us not only an opportunity to tweak Dora but find an old deeply hidden bug...

I will try to add our educational video with some hints taken from this manual and Erich's practice.

Takeoff.
The TO in the video is a little bit gentle... 3250 rpm can be set just from the start of TO roll, release brakes, do not let the plane to yaw applying rudder, stick to the centre. Va = 170-180 kph IAS. (In the game it is 180-190, but I am sure the IAS gauge has errors at low IAS and we still have no correction graph for it. Anyway, the TO roll distance corresponds the value from the manual - 350-400 m)
Dora takes off by herself from three points or tail-heavy attitude.

Gear up at 250 kph, then retract flaps. The best climbing speed is 280-290 kph. TO power in emergency is permitted not more than 30 minuts.

Currently in DCS the rudder is balanced for cruise at 2200-2400 rpm, though the required rudder input is small for the higher power ratings and corresponding speeds.

Landing. Gear down at IAS not more than 300 kph, flaps down at 220-300 kph, IAS at final 220 kph, touchdown at 170. I wrote that in DCS all my attempts performing 2-point landings was not lucky... not only in DCS - real Dora landed ONLY IN THREE-POINT ATTITUDE.

In reality, the flaps can be deployed at IAS exceeding 300 kph without any damage. Erich said that they got planes but they did not get manuals - they were not printed in time or delivered - so they all were test pilots for themselves finding the plane limits.

Tvrdi
Aug-16-2014, 18:10
I just ot my first confirmed kill in DCS in Mustang....shot down a Dora. On WW2 server. I must say it was a great fun although I dont like how DM visuals are missing...