PDA

View Full Version : So tell me about DCS World, particulaly the WWII stituation.

Uriah
Aug-06-2014, 18:42
After going over to the DCS WORLD web site and doing some reading and watching the video on the Dora I have decided to take an interest. It looks like the base game is free. And that you pay for additional planes. So for a WWII situation I think I would have to at least buy the armed Mustang or the Dora. I suspect I would not have to buy both to fly online. Which begs the next question. Is there a 'server' one joins that is just the WWII planes? And if so does it have a map/environment that only has WWII era buildings? I also read that the nearly every thing that can be pressed, pulled or turned in the cockpit is modeled and so rather extreme in modeling. I did not think it could be more than CLOD but I hear that it is. Not complaining. And is there AI flying about? Or is it all real people?

1lokos
Aug-06-2014, 20:25
After going over to the DCS WORLD web site and doing some reading and watching the video on the Dora I have decided to take an interest.
It looks like the base game is free. And that you pay for additional planes. So for a WWII situation I think I would have to at least buy the armed Mustang or the Dora. I suspect I would not have to buy both to fly online. Which begs the next question. Is there a 'server' one joins that is just the WWII planes?

Uriah

For now the DCS WW II planes - that you need buy - are: P-51 and Fw 190 D-9.

But not exist a proper WW II scenery, just the Kuban map, part of DCS World - that is free download and include two flyable planes, include the Su-27 and TF-P-51 without armament.
The DCS world map is set for modern combat.

In multiplayer you have dogfights servers - until now P-51 x P-51 and now possible P-51 x Fw 190 D-9.

In singleplayer mode you can do missions against AI P-51, Bf 109 and Fw 190.

I also read that the nearly every thing that can be pressed, pulled or turned in the cockpit is modeled and so rather extreme in modeling
I did not think it could be more than CLOD but I hear that it is.

Yes, in DCS models cockpits have almost all functions working and clickable, you can do all procedures need for star engine,
starting by turn up the electrical circuit.

CloD have only some functions clickable - maybe not even 50%... And some, like magnetos switch's have only cosmetic function.

But in DCS you have option to use a shortcut for a automated engine startup, similar to "E" in il-2 BoS.

And if so does it have a map/environment that only has WWII era buildings?

Not now. Is planed for the next year a new map, with proper WW II scenery, objects, etc. The Normandie 1944 map.

In short, now there's not a proper WW II simulation, only a simulation of WWII planes. :D

Sokol1

Uriah
Aug-06-2014, 21:23
Thanks Sokol1. $30 for the P-51D AND $50 for the Dora. I can deal with the modern battle field. I am not sure I am ready to deal with that level of complex control. I will wait a bit longer to see reports on the on line flying. Is this ATAG as good as any such place to read reports of how this is going for DCS?

Skoshi_Tiger
Aug-06-2014, 21:31
Good summation of DCS,

CloD have only some functions clickable - maybe not even 50%... And some, like magnetos switch's have only cosmetic function.

Sokol1

Though just one point, magneto's in CoD work as in real life switch on off and the RPM drop slightly, turn both off and the ignition system of the engine is disabled. Each magneto can be independently damaged.

Uriah
Aug-06-2014, 21:55
How about flight dynamics and damage modeling and AI smarts. How does that compare to CLOD?

ATAG_Colander
Aug-06-2014, 22:09
Uriah,

I think you can install DCS World for free and it includes a couple of planes so you can get a taste of it.
Latter (if you like it) you can buy the other planes as addons.

Remon
Aug-07-2014, 08:30
As Colander said, the TF-51 is free. Just install the game and you'll even be able to join servers that have it and fly.

Uriah
Aug-08-2014, 17:14
So I installed the game and did some things like change the values for the ACTIONS. My first impressions are that the graphics are just one step above IL2 1946. My impressions on how the Mustang behaves on ground and in air is that it seems not as good as CLOD or BOS. Yet I liked the fact the plane did not act like it was on ice skates. I did not have the problem of fighting the game like others that want to make me do cookies all day. I don't know if the Mustang had prop pitch that a pilot could take off of auto and use or not. I looked but did not find anything for that. Maybe it is there and I just did not find it.

I do like that you can choose see through cockpit and a variety of outside views. I wonder if those options are disabled in the online servers.

Chuck_Owl
Aug-09-2014, 03:34
So I installed the game and did some things like change the values for the ACTIONS. My first impressions are that the graphics are just one step above IL2 1946. My impressions on how the Mustang behaves on ground and in air is that it seems not as good as CLOD or BOS. Yet I liked the fact the plane did not act like it was on ice skates. I did not have the problem of fighting the game like others that want to make me do cookies all day. I don't know if the Mustang had prop pitch that a pilot could take off of auto and use or not. I looked but did not find anything for that. Maybe it is there and I just did not find it.

I do like that you can choose see through cockpit and a variety of outside views. I wonder if those options are disabled in the online servers.

At the moment, terrain in BoS or CloD is much prettier than what we have in DCS. However, that might change with EDGE. Cockpit interiors and aircraft details are, IMO, much better in DCS.

Ground handling in DCS and BoS is fairly similar. Toe brakes and differential brakes work like you would expect them to. For me, they're both equally realistic.

About prop pitch: you have a manual prop controller lever for the constant-speed propeller. It works pretty much like the one in the Spit Ia in CloD. Usually, you takeoff at max RPM and full throttle. And then, once you're airborne, you set your RPM at 2700 and your manifold pressure (boost) at 46 inches (max continuous power).

If you want to see where DCS really shines, just get online and do a dogfight against someone. You're gonna sh*t bricks. :D

The advanced aerodynamics model makes the experience much more immersive IMO.

aus3620
Aug-09-2014, 04:07
Hey Uriah,

Glad you made the comment about the graphics. I thought it might have just been me! I am presuming the current DLC is better in that regard than the freebies.
Managed to get the P51 started! Need to figure out how to get the startup checklist on the kneeboard (RSH+K). I understand this is possible.

Uriah
Aug-09-2014, 14:20
I did manage to land without tearing of wings and landing gear. There are some things about the graphics that are good. Rivers don't end in a big end all the time. And there are small creeks. The affect of the sun is good and I like all the lights at evening time and night time.

Two aspects will make a big difference for me. First, will I find a server that has labels on. I have changed the labels to just dots but I need something more than no labels at all. Second, will there be enough people on the server to fly with and talk with. I am intrigued enough to put at least $30 down. But if those two items are not met then at least for now CLOD and BOS will take up my combat flying time.

Logan
Aug-09-2014, 14:22
Hey Uriah,

Glad you made the comment about the graphics. I thought it might have just been me! I am presuming the current DLC is better in that regard than the freebies.
Managed to get the P51 started! Need to figure out how to get the startup checklist on the kneeboard (RSH+K). I understand this is possible.

Here you go: While poking around with the Kneepad system in DCS, I discovered how incredibly easy it is to add your own custom pages to the kneepad. I couldn't find a thread here on the topic, so I thought I would create one! (I'd add it to the wiki, but I don't seem to be able to edit anything - what use is a wiki you can't contribute to?)

Anyway, to add custom pages to your Kneeboard:

In your <user>\Saved Games\DCS folder, create a folder named KNEEBOARD
In that folder, add the images you want. They can be PNG or JPG (maybe other formats too?), and any size - they will be scaled to fit. Keep them to a 3:4 portrait aspect ratio, though, or they will become distorted.
That's it! In game, open up your kneepad, then hit "previous page" to flip through your custom pages!
Enjoy! from Loophole on this thread: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=122856

ATAG_Snapper
Aug-09-2014, 14:52
Thread stickied! :salute:

ChiefRedCloud
Aug-09-2014, 18:09
I love it when I learn something new ..... thanks Logan for the tip, thanks to Uriah for beginning the thread, and thanks to Snapper for creating a Sticky of this. Now I just got to figure a way to buy the Dora ...

Chief

Foul Ole Ron
Aug-09-2014, 20:00
For anybody new to DCS while we're waiting for EDGE to prettify up the terrain there's a few mods you can get which will help make things look a bit better without impacting FPS.

Get JGSME and install following these instructions: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98607

Then download the following mods from this link: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=127098

1. Mustang Sky Mod
2. Sweet FX 1.5.1 (this might come with split screen enabled - just change to 0 in the sweetfx settings txt file)
3. Toby's Enhanced Terrain + Rocky trees (one combined Mod)

There's plenty of other mods but those three alone will make things look a fair bit nicer without crippling your system.

Also highly recommend using PeterP's reworked cockpit views with proper neck mod: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=96116

This works great in the Mustang, Dora & Sabre. It'll allow you to properly look over your shoulder for a realistic rear view. There's shoulder stops so no exorcist view either. In the Mustang you can see your rear tank fuel gauge easily as well with this mod. It's way better than the default view.

Uriah
Aug-10-2014, 21:17
so here are my impressions at the moment. I got the keys and buttons and levers all set to what I like. And I like the fact I can set labels to just show up as dots. I like the 'view nearest aircraft'. That view takes you to an external view that looks past your plane to that of the 'nearest' aircraft without your own plane obstructing your view. When flying one on one against the Dora this was nice. It is too bad you can't target a plane (or anything else) and the 'view' that item. I suspect this does not work well when there are many planes in the air and you want to keep on that one you are hunting or is hunting you. But it likely does not matter because I am sure the servers on line don't allow that anyway.

Off line there is a very limited set of missions. At this point I don't think you can have a mission with a bunch of bombers and enemy fighters attaching them and friendly fighters warding off those attacks. I do think I saw something about some B-17s coming soon as AI planes.

One of the selling points (or distractions) of DCS is that all the switches and buttons and levers actually work. I have not learned to use them but doing a quick mission of me in a Mustang vs a Dora it was in the air and so did not have to really do much in the way of all those switches, buttons and levers.

The AI in the DORA seemed good to me. But then I am not that good of a virtual fighter pilot. After I got things all set up the way I like and using the cheat of the 'view nearest aircraft' I was able to bag a few Dora's and only really got in trouble when I overshot him and so he ended on my tail.

All in all fun. WWII has a long ways to go. And unless you are really liking all the switches and buttons and levers I don't see anything compelling over IL-2 1946. On the other hand, with this new graphics EDGE coming and hitting the late war period and new planes coming out I can see a good future for DCS in the WWII theater.

JG6_BigglesCDN
Sep-09-2014, 12:49
I have had no success finding dogfight servers. When I bring up multiplayer, no servers show up on the list. Any hints? Is DCS on Hyperlobby?

Cheers!

airdoc
Sep-09-2014, 15:31
I have had no success finding dogfight servers. When I bring up multiplayer, no servers show up on the list. Any hints? Is DCS on Hyperlobby?

Cheers!

When you say no servers you mean absolutely none? There's something wrong with your game then. There are some servers 24/7 online, you can find them by clicking the multiplayer option, it takes you there automatically, and asks you for a login.
If you mean no ww2 server, then try to find Dogs Of War (DOW). It's the best one for that kind of planes.

cheers

Chuck_Owl
Sep-09-2014, 15:41
Dogs of War (DOW) WWII Server is where the fun's at, mate. It's based in New Jersey, so most North American players have pretty good ping. Check it out!

JG6_BigglesCDN
Sep-10-2014, 14:48
No servers listed at all. Tried setting internet to LAN (per some other threads) by nada. I have not tried joining by ip for DOW since I haven't found the TS ip for DOW yet. I have a Steam download of the game and bought the P51 there. On my Steam account it says it is not installed which is weird. I was going to try unlinking SNs to my logon name but I can't find a P51 serial number. Will keep searching for answers.

Cheers!

Chuck_Owl
Sep-10-2014, 17:14
No servers listed at all. Tried setting internet to LAN (per some other threads) by nada. I have not tried joining by ip for DOW since I haven't found the TS ip for DOW yet. I have a Steam download of the game and bought the P51 there. On my Steam account it says it is not installed which is weird. I was going to try unlinking SNs to my logon name but I can't find a P51 serial number. Will keep searching for answers.

Cheers!

Word of advice: Find your CD key for the P-51 and install DCS from here http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/dcs_world/

The steam version has some issues. I recommend you install your game from the DCS website directly without using the Steam Version. Once your DCS World is installed, make sure that you installed the P-51 module http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/modules/dcs_p51d_mustang/
Before that, make sure your key is linked to your account and make sure that you have the key activation window pop up when you start multiplayer. With a bit of luck, the auto-updater will download the P-51 module by itself and you won't have to download the whole 700-ish mbit module from the site.

If all else fails, just get on the eagle dynamics forums.
http://forums.eagle.ru/?langid=1

JG6_BigglesCDN
Sep-12-2014, 14:15
Thanks Chuck...that worked a treat. All set to go. Now looking at the Dora and the F86.

Cheers!:thumbsup: