PDA

View Full Version : Is there a good 'how to' for DCS? I am stuck on profile problem.

Uriah
Aug-10-2014, 11:56
I am sure there are nearly endless issues that newbies have as with any game. And some frequent issues. I was looking around for something like a FAQ for common issues that new persons face. Anyway, below is my current issue. I posted this over at the DCS forum but have not got an answer in 12 hours so I am a bit over anxious for an answer.

I was looking for a 'how to' for the game but I am not finding it. Anyway, I set up all my keys and such as I like them when I was messing with the game while flying the training P-51. I saved the changes. I think this is called a profile. I decided to lay my money down and downloaded the p-51d. I then found that it was using a default profile. I thought I found the way to load the profile I saved for the trainer but nothing I do seems to load that profile for the fighter. Any hints?

Injerin
Aug-10-2014, 12:07
The TF-51 has a different profile then the P-51D.

Foul Ole Ron
Aug-10-2014, 12:18
Yep unfortunately as the P51-D is a different plane in the game to the TF-51 you'll have to re-do.

I've a X-52 Pro and I keep all the key commands in DCS at their default and then map everything in the SST software profile. Setting up the P51 and TF-51 isn't so bad then as there's a lot of commonality between the two profiles. If you use a X52 pro as well I can send mine on to you.

Uriah
Aug-10-2014, 12:56
well this is what I did, there maybe downsides.
How to copy profile from one plane to another like the TF-51D to the P-51D
Given that you decided to try DCS out and changed many of the keyboard and joystick commands from the default to something you like better. Then you decide to go ahead and buy the P-51D. You discover all your changes don’t exist for the P-51D. You even try to load the profile (that is what it is called) that you had saved for the TF-51D but find that no matter what you do you never really get those commands as you set them.
SOLUTION: The values are stored here:
C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input
And you will see several subfolders like
P-51D
TF-51D

And in each of those folders you will see these subfolders
Joystick
Keyboard
Mouse
Tracker

And say in Joystick you will have a file for each joystick controller you have. I have one for CH Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, and SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick

What I did was make a backup of the P-51D folder and then replaced the folders/files in the P-51D folder with what I have in the TF-51D folder.

Foul Ole Ron
Aug-10-2014, 13:00
That'll probably work fine. There'll be some things you need to add to for weapon systems in the P51 but with so much common between them both you shouldn't run into too many issues.