PDA

View Full Version : Possible tip for Dora take off

ATAG_Headshot
Aug-13-2014, 14:34
When I first started with the Dora I was having a nightmare of a time successfully taking off. I would get mid way down my run and all of a sudden the plane would just do something unpredictable (and yes I hold the stick back) and then I would turn into a smoking crater. I didn't get why so I started lookin through options for the Dora and found that by default "take off assistance" was set to 100. I put that to 0 and now the plane behaves more as expected and I haven't been having issues getting airborne. If you are having trouble it might be something to look at.

Chuck_Owl
Aug-13-2014, 15:40
WOAH... that's actually a very relevant tip! Gosh... I was wondering why the plane would keep wobbling randomly...

gavagai
Aug-13-2014, 17:24
OMFG. I've only crashed it once on takeoff, but that must be important. I have to try it now to feel the difference.

ATAG_Headshot
Aug-13-2014, 17:30
Ya. It feels like If you noticed the plane going to the side and tried to correct and the take off assist ALSO tried to correct it would over correct, causing the plane to go too hard the other way, at which point you an it correct the other way but harder... Resulting in the fishtail roll over wing loss of explodey burny DOOOOOOM.

Foul Ole Ron
Aug-13-2014, 18:56
Yeah it's much easier once the takeoff assistance and auto-rudder are off I found.

What works for me is:

1. Get straight on the runway using the differential brakes while holding the tail wheel locked straight and then put full brakes on
2. Power up to 2500RPM and release the brakes - might need a very light tap or two on a differential brake to keep going straight at that point
3. Increase throttle to max power smoothly and quickly
4. Start to bring the stick forward at about 100Kmh and use small, light touches on the rudder to keep straight (helps if you have a rudder curve - I use about 25 I think)
5. At that point it's plain sailing and the plane lifts off at 200kmh

If you're having a problem with controlling the plane immediately as it gets into the air maybe don't use your takeoff flaps. The runways are so long you don't really need flaps at all and you can take off at a higher speed which will mean less flopping around once airborne.

ATAG_Torian
Aug-14-2014, 04:27
When I first started with the Dora I was having a nightmare of a time successfully taking off. I would get mid way down my run and all of a sudden the plane would just do something unpredictable (and yes I hold the stick back) and then I would turn into a smoking crater. I didn't get why so I started lookin through options for the Dora and found that by default "take off assistance" was set to 100. I put that to 0 and now the plane behaves more as expected and I haven't been having issues getting airborne. If you are having trouble it might be something to look at.

Think u might be onto something here Headshot. Does seem to behave itself better now with that off. Have it set to 0 in my P51 but hadn't even checked that setting in the Dora. Nice find m8.

Catseye
Aug-14-2014, 10:33

Nice find Headshot,
I never checked there - assuming that it would be set to zero already. Go figure! (Beta I guess.)

Cats . . .

ATAG_Headshot
Aug-14-2014, 12:59
Nice find Headshot,
I never checked there - assuming that it would be set to zero already. Go figure! (Beta I guess.)

Cats . . .

I thought it would start at 0 as well but no...

Vlerkies
Aug-14-2014, 15:37
I thought it would start at 0 as well but no...

Yup me too, and I have many DCS modules, this was a curve ball of note!
Feel like a bit of a noob having not seen that and struggling so much fighting this assistance thingy.