PDA

View Full Version : DCS WW2 - Multiplayer Concept Map - Operation Overlord

Chuck_Owl
Aug-14-2014, 15:40
I'm currently testing a MP map I did. The concept is a bit like an air domination map, but with a twist.

Players have to control an area called "Objective Able", which is an air zone that will trigger a timer once a coalition has complete control of the air space. Think of it like a "Conquest" match in Battlefield or a "domination" match in first person shooters. If there are players from both sides, the area is "contested" and neither side has control.

I thought than rather than have a "kill" point system that rewards individual pilots, I would create an alternate point system that requires the team to work together rather than do their own thing. The mission is set in 2 phases: Phase One is the part where pilots will be fighting for control of the objective. Although, if a team gets complete control of the zone, it doesn't necessarily mean that the other team has lost. Phase Two spawns 2 tank divisions near Objective Able that will attack each other. The side that has won the "Air Superiority" phase will have some bonus tanks, but nothing a couple of well-placed bombs or rockets cannot take care of. At this point, pilots will have to RTB and rearm with bombs and rockets in order to help their tank army kill the other side's. The first side to lose all their tanks loses the match.

DOWNLOAD LINK:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20586543/DCS%20WW2%20OPERATION%20OVERLORD%20V1.0.miz

Here's the briefing:

OPERATION OVERLORD

NOTE: READ THE BRIEFING TO KNOW WHAT TO DO AND WHERE TO GO.

Allied forces have established a beachhead and the Axis are preparing for a counterattack to throw them back into the sea. US tanks and German panzers are preparing for an ambitious offensive, but the fate of the whole operation lies with the control of the skies.

Thanks for SithSpawn's and Stonehouse's flak script.

THE MISSION (RED SIDE)

Allied armored divisions are camped south of the lake, codenamed Objective Able. Your task is to achieve air superiority in the main Area of Operations (AO) by destroying any Axis fighters penetrating the objective's air corridor.

Once the airspace is clear, US forces will begin an assault on the german defensive line. Achieving air superiority will allow reinforcements to help out your forces and win the day. Your task will be to support them by destroying German panzers.

Control the airspace, support the armored assault, and the battle will be won.

FORCES

ALLIED
1st US armored division - South-West of Objective Able (Lake)
485 FS - A /B-Flight - Red Air Base 1
485 FS - C/D Flight - Red Air Base 2
AAA Batteries near Objective Able
AXIS
1st Panzer division - South-East of Objective Able (Lake)
5./jg 301 Red/Blue/Yellow/Green Flight - Blue Air Base
Flak Batteries near Objective Able

NAVIGATION (RED SIDE)

Pathfinders set up red smoke signals to guide your way to Objective Able.

RADIO (RED SIDE)

Channel A.: Red Air Base 1
Channel B: Red Air Base 2

Featuring:

Expanded Airbases to give a more immersive feel
Historical tail number and markings for EACH aircraft.
Simplified briefing with bearings to objective
People will converge in the same area, creating a more target-rich environment.
Army camps and smoke signals created to add immersion and to create landmark cues to help with navigation.
In objective area, flak will help you have a general idea of where your enemies are. However, flak can also target your teammates... so ID your targets properly first!
More realistic squadron structure to help people identify their squadmates.
Triggers created for flak zones, navigation beacons, and in-game messages for players to know what is going on.

zionid
Aug-14-2014, 18:10
Very interesting! Id love to check this out:)

ATAG_Torian
Aug-15-2014, 01:59
D'loaded and will check it out over the weekend. Would Luftwaffe be at a disadvantage not having rockets ?

Chuck_Owl
Aug-15-2014, 03:27
D'loaded and will check it out over the weekend. Would Luftwaffe be at a disadvantage not having rockets ?

Yes, definitely, which makes the capture of the Air Zone even more critical for them. Balance will be mostly trial and error, but I did put a higher skill level for german tanks. Some people will want to kill the tanks, while some other will want to intercept the fighter-bombers and blast them to bits.

Still need further testing before I can make this map "released". This is still a conceptual stage, but I thought I'd share some of that stuff with you folks.