PDA

View Full Version : System specs for DCS vs Clod

ATAG_Dave
Aug-19-2014, 16:16
~S~ all

I was wondering whether DCS is more / less / the same in terms of required PC specs? And while I am at it if I wanted to install windows 7, DCS and Clod onto a SSD what capacity drive would I require? (Im assuming here that it in fact makes sense to do this rather than install on a regular Hard drive..??)

Any advice much appreciated

Dave

Foul Ole Ron
Aug-20-2014, 04:57
I think DCS currently is probably a bit more demanding CPU wise. I've a 3770k and 7970 and I'll usually get 60fps over normal terrain with most stuff set towards high but that'll drop to mid-30s over built up areas. CloD is a bit smoother for me overall while generally looking better as well.

I think the DCS World module itself is around 20GB and then individual plane modules range from 500MB - 1.5GB. Depending on the size of new DCS 2.0 EDGE and potential new maps that might be coming along with EDGE you'd probably want to leave a good chunk more set aside if you can spare it.

ATAG_Dave
Aug-20-2014, 19:22
I think DCS currently is probably a bit more demanding CPU wise. I've a 3770k and 7970 and I'll usually get 60fps over normal terrain with most stuff set towards high but that'll drop to mid-30s over built up areas. CloD is a bit smoother for me overall while generally looking better as well.

I think the DCS World module itself is around 20GB and then individual plane modules range from 500MB - 1.5GB. Depending on the size of new DCS 2.0 EDGE and potential new maps that might be coming along with EDGE you'd probably want to leave a good chunk more set aside if you can spare it.

Thanks for the info :thumbsup: - when i next upgrade I wanted to be sure i upgrade with both in mine

Is your name a Pratchett reference by the way? Ive often wondered :)

gavagai
Aug-23-2014, 20:49

Agree on that. DCS only uses a single core for everything except sound, so a fast CPU is very important. However, Cliffs only runs well with at least 2GB (or 3GB?) of video ram, whereas DCS ran fine for me with a 1GB card. That makes sense because Cliffs looks much better than DCS.

Otyg
Aug-23-2014, 23:54
Thanks for the info :thumbsup: - when i next upgrade I wanted to be sure i upgrade with both in mine

I do hope.
I always pictures him in a grubby old coat mumbling millennium shrimp and spitting on his keyboard. :)

I find dcs way harder on my computer. It's real bad tbh. Not the game but how demanding it's on my poor computer.

vranac
Aug-24-2014, 04:08
However, Cliffs only runs well with at least 2GB (or 3GB?) of video ram, whereas DCS ran fine for me with a 1GB card. That makes sense because Cliffs looks much better than DCS.

This isn't correct. I'm using 1 GB card, no problems at all. Buildings details on medium. Textures, decals , visual effects on max.

gavagai
Aug-24-2014, 09:01
Then you have lower performance standards than I do. I want smooth frames over London, dammit!:-)

Foul Ole Ron
Aug-24-2014, 14:47

Haha yeah. Loved those books when I was kid.