PDA

View Full Version : will lack of Steam's disable auto-updates break ATAG mods?

lifespeed
Aug-19-2014, 23:21
I wanted to try playing CLoD multiplayer and came across this forum. I started to follow the instructions to install the patches and got as far as turning off the auto-updates in Steam.

Well, it appears the iron-fisted control freaks that are Valve Inc decided that us naïve users should not be allowed such control over our machines. Apparently this was a recent change.

Now I am a bit reluctant to go through the install process it would seem that it will get overwritten when I launch the game.

Has anybody run across this yet?

Mysticpuma
Aug-20-2014, 00:04
So far no users have had any issues, but if you want to make absolutely sure, copy your Cliffs of Dover Folder (inside Steamapps) to another hard drive or area on your PC.

Now update that folder with the patches as described in the install instructions.

You can run Cliffs of Dover from any backup or copy folder but you just have to have Steam running. Should Steam try to update your game it will only 'see' the Cliffs of Dover installed in the Steamapps folder. So the one you created by copying that folder somewhere else will be untouched and you can patch it without issues.

Hope that helps, but so far no issues have been experienced by users who can't switch off the auto update feature.

Cheers, MP

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Aug-20-2014, 06:59
ATAG mods?

Are you referring to the "Team Fusion" mods?

Just like Mysticpuma says, you can make a back-up of the modded game.

Steam never updates Cliffs of Dover any more. . . no-one has had any problems with this.

BOBC
Dec-07-2014, 07:48
Glad to see someone else found that wasnt possible,

for others pondering on this,
advice was log into steam, so d/click steam desktop icon and login,
then r/click on shortcut to Cliffs of Dover, thats the lettering top left, not the colourful roundel etc.
click update tab, combo list options are now :-

Always keep this game up to date (was set to that as default)
Only update this game when I launch it
High Priority always auto-update this game before others.

so no disable option.

I have installed Steam to D:\Steam and will copy paste out the CoD folder (not its correct name) to D:\CoD then install mods to that.

BOBC

1lokos
Dec-07-2014, 11:23
1 - Since the game is a "abandonware" no new update will came through STEAM, so... ;)

2 - What can mess the MOD patch's is run in STEAM GUI > Propperties > Files > VERIFITY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE. Then do not do it. :D

BTW - If you have copied the folder ...Cliffs of Dover from \Steamapps\Common for other place drive to MOD, this "VERIFITY..." will not affect these files.

Sokol1