PDA

View Full Version : TrackIR vs Freetrack Vs FaceTrackNoir vs Opentrack

farley
Aug-20-2014, 23:23
I have used FreeTrack for a long time now, and it is currently working well for me.

However, i downloaded FreeTrackNoir to use with DCS, and now FreeTrack won't work in COD (this happened before and so i deleted FTN, and FT worked again - I struggle with computers).

Sigh....
So now i am doing a rethink, and wondering if i should try to go with just one system for COD and DCS. I don't think i'll be flying other sims - used to fly IL2 - 1946, but can't seem to get into it after COD, and not sure that will go to BOS as I don't want to spread my sim time too thin (have read here that FTN is not the best for BOS).

Anyhow, my question to you is, what do you recommend? I have visited several sights and forms and I'm having difficulty knowing which is the best to go with; leaning toward FTN or Opentrack, as i don't want to spend the $ for TrackIR, and can't seem to get FT to work in both sims.

Oh ya, if i may ask one more thing - i have an old Logitech webcam; is it worth it to purchase the PS3 eye? Seems like a lot of you use and like it.

I would appreciate any comments or recommendations you might have.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

PanTast
Aug-21-2014, 06:45
I first tryed FreeTrack years ago when I played Sturmovik. It was ok.

As I started playing CloD I tryed FaceTrackNoIR and it was ok too. But I decided to buy TrackIR and it makes a HUGE difference. It runs much smoother. There are nearly no delays between head movement and on screen reaction. The setup is very easy. The ProClip is very easy to attach onto your headset (wich you need to use the great ATAG Teamspeak server).

I highly recommend to get TrackIR. :salute:

Greetings

PanTast

ATAG_Dave
Aug-21-2014, 07:41
Another :thumbsup: for Track IR having never got on properly with FTN

I use the standard hat clip rather than the pro clip (saves cash) and it works brilliantly (or rather it does now I cleaned the reflectors on my hat clip but that's another story). I actually attach the clip to my headset (sticky tape is all you need) so I don't have to wear a cap or golf visor.

I bought my track Ir second hand on ebay

Dave

Stormrider
Aug-21-2014, 14:31
I can't tell you anything about opentrack, because I never tried it.
But if you don't want to spent a lot of money for track-ir.I should go for ftn(+pointtracker plugin) with a ps3-eye.For me ftn with ps3-eyes works better then freetrack with a ms 3000vx webcam( I always used).
I was always satisfied with my freetrack with vx300 webcam but I think because freetrack gets a little outdated(2008) ftn will give less problems.Especially when you want to use a ps3-eye.

If you should consider bying a ps3-eye, there is one type with a impossible to remove ir-filter.
http://www.peauproductions.com/blog/2009/04/17/the-two-types-of-ps3-eye-stock-lenses-pictures-of-each/

When I tried to remove my ir-filter I ruined the lense, because I had the wrong type ps3-eye.
I ordered at that shop a modified lense and now it works great.It is also possible you find a ps3-eye with a very weak ir-filter which does't need to be removed or buy an already modified ps3-eys at that shop.

ChiefRedCloud
Aug-21-2014, 15:14
I'm another who has not used anything but TrackIR but I will say that for me TrackIR works well with DCS, IL-2 the old and Clod. And it works in ArmA 3 and some race Sims. So I would recommend it myself. Then either set up your own profile or download Requiem's profile from this form. It works great.

Chief

439th_Wtornado
Sep-11-2014, 14:07
I am using TrackerIR 5 pro but the blooding thing is falling apart I wanted to try Facetracknoir.

Does it really work?

439th_Wtornado
Sep-11-2014, 14:12
I am a little disappointed on how fragile the LED clip
is you sneeze and it falls apart.

Camera is ok and so is the software.

farley
Sep-11-2014, 14:39
I am using TrackerIR 5 pro but the blooding thing is falling apart I wanted to try Facetracknoir.

Does it really work?

After lots of adjusting, the Facetracknoir seems to be working well in COD, DCS, and FSX. BUT i have yet to use it under varying light conditions and such, so the verdict is out. At times it seems to jump around when looking inside the cockpit.
I would say that the Freetrack i used seemed to be more stable once i had it set up.
I recently purchased the PS3 Eye Camera, and am getting improved FPS over the old cam that i had.

I fiddle and fart around with this stuff so much that i never get around to flying!