PDA

View Full Version : Spit Ia performance

ATAG_Torian
Mar-15-2012, 14:03
I know I know, this has probably been done to death but on nite duty at 0300
when all is quiet on the ward I get's to reading and seething over what the Ia
should be and the one we are forced use.
All quotes are about the Ia from pilots actually flying them in the BoB
website= http://www.spitfireperformance.com/spit1vrs109e.html

P/O Art Donahue's account of using +12 boost during his first combat of 5 August 1940, whilst flying Spitfires with No. 64 Squadron out of Kenley, is typical:

There are bandits approaching from the north In quick response to this information, our leader sang out a command: All Tiger aircraft, full throttle! Full Throttle! That meant to use the emergency throttle that gave extra power to our engines. I was flying in our leaders section, on his left. As he gave the command Full throttle, his plane started to draw ahead, away from me. I pushed in my emergency throttle in response to the command, the first time I had ever used it, and my engine fairly screamed with new power. I felt my plane speeding up like a high spirited horse that has been spurred. 55
F/Lt. John Webster, of No. 41 Squadron, once again noted use of 12 boost in his Combat Report of 8 August 1940:

I had no difficulty (using 12 boost) in overtaking the Me. 109's either in diving or level flight. 56
F/O R.W. Wallens, of No. 41 Squadron, recorded in his Combat Report for 11 August 1940:

12 lbs boost used by all Green Section. 57
41 Squadron, now flying from Catterick in 13 Group, intercepted the 15 August 1940 raid on the east coast. The Intelligence Officer noted:

All pilot's report e/a fast and used 12 lbs boost to catch them. 58

I guess most of u have read this page from this site but how I long for a Ia
modelled the same as the ONES THAT ACTUALLY FLEW IN THE BoB (pant pant
snort). The boost cutout doesn't work in the Ia or the Hurri. OK I think fair enuff,
leave out the IIa if u want a realistic BoB but the way the Ia is sooo grossly
undermodelled it's not realistic anyway. A more liberal quantity of IIa's would
actually add more realism. I really can't understand how the devs porked these
basics so badly.

Doc
Mar-15-2012, 15:21
I've read these before. I am sure it will all get ironed out before long.

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-15-2012, 15:23
Torian, I feel your pain. The anaemic performance, non-animated trim controls, reversed mixture control, diesel truck external sound -- how did that get by their exacting quality control dept??? :runaway:

Although I'm hoping the next patch will fix ALL the aircraft FM's (LW and RAF alike)......I'm not too sure that will happen. Fingers crossed!

ATAG_Torian
Mar-15-2012, 15:54
@ Snapper
I thought it was just a rewrite of the graphics in the patch. Didn't think FM was
gonna be attended to this time round. At least we have some IIa's. Would be good
to have IIa's available on all the maps tho. We didn't fair too well with MrX and
Mogas on the other nite when there was just u & me and those 2 on the server
and no IIa's on that map. We could hardly get off the airfield b4 they were picking
us off and there was no way to take the fight to them. Irks me that they can get
away with it when in the real BoB it would have been a more even fight.

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-15-2012, 16:49
re patch: yeah, a graphics code rewrite was my understanding too. It may permit more clouds without killing frame rates too much. That would change the dynamics a great deal.

re dogfighting: We could have tried spawning further inland, grabbed serious altitude, then fly in a combat formation (line abreast several hundred yards apart). With just the four of us it's doubtful we would've made contact, though -- it's a big map! LOL Besides, Dowding frowns upon RAF fighters stooging around dogfighting with 109's "a bloody waste of time and resources!" ;)

But yes, it would've been fun with a couple of IIa's!

Catseye
Mar-15-2012, 17:31
S!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed but my expectations are that they will not enable 100 octane nor enhance any power curves.

I really hope I'm wrong but somewhere in the archives I read about them concentrating on the graphics engine and making corrections to mistakes but not adding any further improvements to COD as they are concentrating on the next theatre of war.

BS doesn't really do much to change my thoughts on this even though it has been asked many times of him to give a more precise update on what is being currently improved.

Catseye

Ohms
Mar-15-2012, 18:56
I hope we all get the correct flight models red and blue,just think how peacefully it will be now no more complaining of uber planes.Oh I can hear the birds chirping already!:bgsmile:

Doc
Mar-15-2012, 22:58
LOLOLOL :bgsmile::bgsmile::bgsmile:

Catseye
Apr-24-2012, 21:33
I hope we all get the correct flight models red and blue,just think how peacefully it will be now no more complaining of uber planes.Oh I can hear the birds chirping already!:bgsmile:

The End!!

:bgsmile: