PDA

View Full Version : FSX and A2A Spitfire

farley
Aug-22-2014, 12:31
Although i have rarely used it, i have FSX, and the A2A Spitfire downloaded.

If you are not used to the A2A planes, they are said to be very well modeled, and very realistic in terms of the control systems. Almost every control in the plane is operable, such as the landing light adjusts up and down, the Morse code system works, so you can use lights on the fuselage to send messages, etc. It is very complete in this way. The armament is not useable, which is too bad; who wants to fly if they can't shoot at something, right?! I am rarely able to land it and not have it overheat.

I guess now DCS, BOS,and others do about the same in terms of functioning controls.

http://www.a2asimulations.com/

They also have the P51, P40, P47, B17, and others.

Of course it is a flight sim and not a combat sim, but i have enjoyed flying in Nepal, Australia, and other places, and quite enjoy flying it.

Guess i am just wondering who else might fly the Spit, or other planes here, and if there are any general comments about the A2A planes or FSX.

How do you flying the A2A planes in FSX compared to the flight characteristics, etc in CLOD?

Here is a video, not mine, of an A2ASpit in FSX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxtXWMkOM4A

ATAG_Freya
Aug-22-2014, 12:40
Cool. It sounds nice. Does it support headtracking? (possible dumb Q right there) I must confess I've never payed attention to A2A and know nothing about it, after seeing some vids I'd love to try it out. I recently bought FSX (6 buks! I'm such a cheep-o its thrilling sometimes) but haven't installed it yet. I gather A2A is an add-on for FSX? What other ones are there? Lancs? :D

farley
Aug-22-2014, 16:52
Cool. It sounds nice. Does it support headtracking? (possible dumb Q right there) I must confess I've never payed attention to A2A and know nothing about it, after seeing some vids I'd love to try it out. I recently bought FSX (6 buks! I'm such a cheep-o its thrilling sometimes) but haven't installed it yet. I gather A2A is an add-on for FSX? What other ones are there? Lancs? :D

Yes, i run it with freetrack, although i can't find a way to keep my head in the cockpit when the hood is closed, so I'm always sticking my head through the Plexiglas!

I think that A2A works hard to put out good products, and to make the flight characteristics as realistic as possible, at least with the addition (and extra cost) of the Accu-sim . If you go to their sight, they have vids on the Spit, P51, P47, and B17, each one of which will give you an idea of just how much work has gone into building these ( sorry if this sounds like an infomercial... well i guess it is a bit...). After being so spoiled by the CLOD graphics, these just don't seem to measure up..... but not all about the looks, it's about the experience of flying one of these beauties!

Spitfire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsgEiJoBxX0

P 47: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7cTL6YhEyg

P51: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUOmJzxoaCA Just to compare to DCS

Anyhhow, there are a few examles of the A2A planes. I think they are pretty impressive.

ATAG_Snapper
Aug-22-2014, 19:28
I have A2A Wings of Power 3 Spitfire MK 1 and MK 2 with the Accusim addon. I got it about 2 years ago and lived on the A2A Spit forums to glean as much info as I could.

My thoughts:

1) A great learning sim if you're into Spitfires. Yes, virtually all switches, levers, and buttons work. A lot of effort gone into its engine systems, flight modelling, damage modelling, etc. A ton of info on each model of Spit that I never knew, with the opportunity to try the different propellors.

2) The sounds. Ohhhhh mama! Internal, external, flyby. The Merlin sound will raise the hair on the back of your neck. Really, really good. :thumbsup:

3) Flight modelling. By the numbers alone very close to Clod TF v4.312 such as top speeds, climb rates, etc. The acceleration on take off and Boost Cut Out Overide is jawdroppingly quicker than Clod's trundling Spits. This is closer to the anecdotal accounts by RAF pilots that I've read. The tail comes up quickly and you're in the air rapidly getting the wheels up before you exceed 160 mph. Exhilarating. :thumbsup: When you push "through the gate" to 12 lbs boost you KNOW you've done something. Exhilarating! :thumbsup:

4) Overheating. You have "to be ahead" of the engine as temps start to rise. I find the A2A Spitfire Merlins much, much tougher than the Clod Spitfire 1a 100 octane's rather delicate Merlins. This is how I have always perceived the BoB Spitfires to be. Yes, they will overheat after prolonged running at 12 lbs/3000 rpms. You have to be "on it" because once the temps DO start to rise, the A2A Spits are not as fast as the Clod Spits to respond to corrective measures (open rad full, chop throttle & revs, point nose downward to keep speed up and air flowing over the rads). The A2A Spits will vent excessive pressure (+ glycol) if temps get too high, but it's not an automatic death sentence as it is in Clod. See (5):thumbsup:

5) As with Clod, cumulative engine wear & tear is tracked and modelled in A2A. Unlike Clod engine wear is summarised in great detail, including the compression ratio of each of the 12 cylinders. THIS is where you pay the price for excessive abuse on your Merlin...your Spit will run crappier and crappier on each mission until the next major overhaul. This is closer to the RAF pilot's experience IMHO. They had to face the wrath of Chiefie and the Base Commander for premature (and expensive) engine overhauls in their over eagerness to knock down Jerry. :thumbsup:

6) FSX. A2A sims are piggy backed onto FSX, making the control assignments clunky at best, TrackIR is supported but it's an abomination. Imagine flying Clod at 30 POV (ie zoomed in) all the time. I haven't found a way to zoom in and zoom out effectively using TrackIR...UNLESS THERE's been an update to fix this. If I deactivate TrackIR I can zoom in and out using key commands, but then your head gets placed outside the cockpit! Very weird. Clearly not a combat sim, just a get from here to there type sim.

7) Feel of flight. For me, it's Clod all the way. Hard to define, but in Clod I really do feel like I'm actually flying. A2A/FSX? Not so much.

8) Graphics. Cockpit & plane externals look good. Everything is animated,everything is correct, even the wheels up indicator pins in the wings are modelled. Terrain and cloud graphics? UGH!!!! See (9)

9.) Cost. For all that is included, Clod is a freaking STEAL!!!! For about $200 I got third party addons for A2A WOP3 that gave me less crappy clouds, sky, and terrain. Does not even APPROACH Clod, thanks to TF's FREE magic.

Thinking of getting A2A WOP 3 Spitfire? Go for it. But if you can wait until December.....DCS will be releasing their Spitfire IX. With guns. And cannon! :devilish:

farley
Aug-22-2014, 20:11
I have A2A Wings of Power 3 Spitfire MK 1 and MK 2 with the Accusim addon. I got it about 2 years ago and lived on the A2A Spit forums to glean as much info as I could.

My thoughts:

1) A great learning sim if you're into Spitfires. Yes, virtually all switches, levers, and buttons work. A lot of effort gone into its engine systems, flight modelling, damage modelling, etc. A ton of info on each model of Spit that I never knew, with the opportunity to try the different propellors.

2) The sounds. Ohhhhh mama! Internal, external, flyby. The Merlin sound will raise the hair on the back of your neck. Really, really good. :thumbsup:

3) Flight modelling. By the numbers alone very close to Clod TF v4.312 such as top speeds, climb rates, etc. The acceleration on take off and Boost Cut Out Overide is jawdroppingly quicker than Clod's trundling Spits. This is closer to the anecdotal accounts by RAF pilots that I've read. The tail comes up quickly and you're in the air rapidly getting the wheels up before you exceed 160 mph. Exhilarating. :thumbsup: When you push "through the gate" to 12 lbs boost you KNOW you've done something. Exhilarating! :thumbsup:

4) Overheating. You have "to be ahead" of the engine as temps start to rise. I find the A2A Spitfire Merlins much, much tougher than the Clod Spitfire 1a 100 octane's rather delicate Merlins. This is how I have always perceived the BoB Spitfires to be. Yes, they will overheat after prolonged running at 12 lbs/3000 rpms. You have to be "on it" because once the temps DO start to rise, the A2A Spits are not as fast as the Clod Spits to respond to corrective measures (open rad full, chop throttle & revs, point nose downward to keep speed up and air flowing over the rads). The A2A Spits will vent excessive pressure (+ glycol) if temps get too high, but it's not an automatic death sentence as it is in Clod. See (5):thumbsup:

5) As with Clod, cumulative engine wear & tear is tracked and modelled in A2A. Unlike Clod engine wear is summarised in great detail, including the compression ratio of each of the 12 cylinders. THIS is where you pay the price for excessive abuse on your Merlin...your Spit will run crappier and crappier on each mission until the next major overhaul. This is closer to the RAF pilot's experience IMHO. They had to face the wrath of Chiefie and the Base Commander for premature (and expensive) engine overhauls in their over eagerness to knock down Jerry. :thumbsup:

6) FSX. A2A sims are piggy backed onto FSX, making the control assignments clunky at best, TrackIR is supported but it's an abomination. Imagine flying Clod at 30 POV (ie zoomed in) all the time. I haven't found a way to zoom in and zoom out effectively using TrackIR...UNLESS THERE's been an update to fix this. If I deactivate TrackIR I can zoom in and out using key commands, but then your head gets placed outside the cockpit! Very weird. Clearly not a combat sim, just a get from here to there type sim.

7) Feel of flight. For me, it's Clod all the way. Hard to define, but in Clod I really do feel like I'm actually flying. A2A/FSX? Not so much.

8) Graphics. Cockpit & plane externals look good. Everything is animated,everything is correct, even the wheels up indicator pins in the wings are modelled. Terrain and cloud graphics? UGH!!!! See (9)

9.) Cost. For all that is included, Clod is a freaking STEAL!!!! For about $200 I got third party addons for A2A WOP3 that gave me less crappy clouds, sky, and terrain. Does not even APPROACH Clod, thanks to TF's FREE magic.

Thinking of getting A2A WOP 3 Spitfire? Go for it. But if you can wait until December.....DCS will be releasing their Spitfire IX. With guns. And cannon! :devilish:

An excellent critique Snapper!

You are obviously well versed i in both FSX and CLOD, and i was hoping for this type of comparison. I have limited experience in both, but generally would have to agree with the points you have made.

I find the A2A more challenging to get started, and just more sensitive/finicky all around. It is a lot of fun flying the A2A Spitfire; i just wish the graphics didn't make it seem so old..... beautiful, but dated. I can still just sit in the cockpit in the A2A and enjoy learning what every switch and lever does. If i crank the sound a bit, the roar of the engine still gives me goosebumps. Ya, man, staying inside the plane is very difficult, and i find that takes away from the flying experience, as it is so hard to stay inside the cockpit when looking around. I'm so glad that CLOD doesn't have problem, there at least you stay in till you open up the canopy, and in my case bail, only to find that the chute doesn't open. Not an option in the A2A plane, so best not have to bail. Of course in FSX there is no one to cause you to bail, unless you get rammed by a passing jumbo jet!

I much prefer flying in CLOd, but would like to have the option of being able to use all of the controls, and perhaps the DCS Spitfire will give us the best of both of these two worlds. Looking forward to flying the whole stable.

TF has done such an excellent job with CLOD that it is difficult for me to go back and fly in FSX. I mean flying in CLOD is just so beautiful, from the way the aircraft behave to the shadows in the cockpit. It has spoiled me to the point where i don't really fly FSX or IL2 anymore.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Snapper.

ATAG_Freya
Aug-22-2014, 21:10
An excellent critique Snapper!

+1 Thankyou!

ATAG_Endless
Aug-23-2014, 05:50
I love a2a have the b17 and I love flying around in that thing

SG1_Lud
Aug-23-2014, 07:47

Very good comparison Snapper, I think it reflects it all.
For #6 I recommend you to look for EzDok Cam.

You will be impressed. I bit of study is needed to use it at its full potential, but there are a lot of tutorials out there.

Please check the following videos to get the overall idea :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUDhE9yv1X8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEUmbX7HicU

If you like it and need any help I can guide you through the process.

S!

ATAG_Snapper
Aug-23-2014, 11:27
Wow, Lud, that is a brilliant addon! :thumbsup:

I took a few minutes to watch the YouTube links you provided, then visited the EZdok Camera website. I see that this app is compatible with TrackIR5, which is a major plus. It's a shame that FSX doesn't automatically ship with this addon (at least the Dynamic Cockpit feature), but $35 USD is pretty reasonable for a third party company to charge to change what I consider a game breaker shortcoming of FSX/A2A into something enjoyable to fly for more than a few minutes.

Will download it later today and give it a try.

Thanks for posting this! :salute:

SG1_Lud
Aug-23-2014, 11:52
It''s a must have :)

Sadly it looks like the developer is not continuing it for new features, but it works perfectly. Check here the last version is 1.17, despite what the official site ( and Flight One) says: http://www.simforums.com/forums/ezdok-software_forum39.html

Basically the process is:
* Download and install
* First config to make it work with Trackir.

Then for each aircraft, you setup the cams in game. You can have many cams: one for the pilot, one for the copilot, one for the passenger + the external cams.
The idea its to assign each cam to a hotkey or hotas button.
For every cam you can define the effects: head shake, trackir or not (for instance, sometimes you want a steady view on a certain instrument panel: no problems you deactivate trackir for that cam.

Another nice feature is that you can set "walls" in the cockpit, and the cam will not go beyond them.

Again if you find trouble in the setup poke me.

Glad you liked it.
S!

Chuck_Owl
Aug-23-2014, 16:38
It''s a must have :)

Sadly it looks like the developer is not continuing it for new features, but it works perfectly. Check here the last version is 1.17, despite what the official site ( and Flight One) says: http://www.simforums.com/forums/ezdok-software_forum39.html

Basically the process is:
* Download and install
* First config to make it work with Trackir.

Then for each aircraft, you setup the cams in game. You can have many cams: one for the pilot, one for the copilot, one for the passenger + the external cams.
The idea its to assign each cam to a hotkey or hotas button.
For every cam you can define the effects: head shake, trackir or not (for instance, sometimes you want a steady view on a certain instrument panel: no problems you deactivate trackir for that cam.

Another nice feature is that you can set "walls" in the cockpit, and the cam will not go beyond them.

Again if you find trouble in the setup poke me.

Glad you liked it.
S!

Does this feature also work for CloD or other flight sims?

SG1_Lud
Aug-23-2014, 17:23
Does this feature also work for CloD or other flight sims?

Hi Chuck_Owl,

this addon only works in FSX/Prepar3D.

The concept/idea is actually a great one to be exported to other sims. For CloD, I have no idea if this is possible.

ATAG_Endless
Aug-23-2014, 19:02
Another addon for fsx that's a must is a2a accu-feel v2

http://youtu.be/uJ9YGMr7SnY

WindWpn
Sep-16-2014, 13:16
Speaking of the A2A Spitfire, have you seen this forum thread at A2A of a home build spitfire pit? Frankly, the most realistic pit I have ever seen. Wonder if it works for CLOD also?!
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=14676&hilit=spitfire+pit