PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new joystick/pedals

ATAG_Knuckles
Mar-16-2012, 09:58
Hey gang:

Currently have CH Pedals/Saitex X52. Both going on 10 years old. The pedals went "Teets Up" last night. Looking to replace both as the stick is well!!! you know what sticks do when they get old !!

SO what are you guys using and why ???? any recommendations ?

Keeping in mind I fly bombers but do try to stay current in the Spit

Knuckles

Doc
Mar-16-2012, 10:22
100% CH here. You may be suffering from something that you may be able to fix.

http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/showthread.php?7091-Pro-Pedals-repair-video-toe-brake-axis-out-of-warranty

Dutch
Mar-16-2012, 11:00
All I know is that it was a happy day last year when I opened my birthday present!

She can be a little darlin' at times. :Grin:

Badger
Mar-16-2012, 11:56
Dutch, does she have a sister?

Badger

ATAG_Colander
Mar-16-2012, 12:05
But mine cooks better than yours!
:goofy:

Dutch
Mar-16-2012, 12:43
But mine cooks better than yours!
:goofy:

You're not wrong there Colander me ole mate.

Mine burns boiled eggs, but then she does do all the decorating. :Grin:

@Badger, sorry mate, only child

MajorBorris
Mar-16-2012, 13:49
many swear by the simpeds pedals but there expensive, a little less$ for the saitek pro combat pedals but the look realy comfy and accurate too(heels on the floor)

Cant go wrong with the msff2 or the ch stick.

Im still waiting for a dual throttle hotas from CH:whacky2:

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Mar-16-2012, 13:59
All I know is that it was a happy day last year when I opened my birthday present!

She can be a little darlin' at times. :Grin:

Ohh Yeaa..

Best ЈЈЈ I spent for my gaming time

ATAG_Deacon
Mar-16-2012, 15:21
Hey gang:

Currently have CH Pedals/Saitex X52. Both going on 10 years old. The pedals went "Teets Up" last night. Looking to replace both as the stick is well!!! you know what sticks do when they get old !!

SO what are you guys using and why ???? any recommendations ?

Keeping in mind I fly bombers but do try to stay current in the Spit

Knuckles

Hey Knuckles,

Using the Warthog (love it), coupled with the Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, and CH Throttle Quad.

The Throttle Quad is KEY! There are 6 levers and 12 buttons. The levers are assigned to all 3 trim axis (aileron trim will be needed at some point, like BoM P-40's perhaps?), plus radiator, mixture, and prop-pitch.

All wrapped up in an Obutto gaming cockpit.

It's pretty cool...see photos here:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?824-What-do-you-fly-with

ATAG_Knuckles
Mar-16-2012, 16:56
@ Doc. Appreciate that video. I have actually repaired my pedals a dozen times. Wires as shown in that video are very fragile. I have a "pot" that gone out this time

Plus this stuff is just plain old !!! Obiviously COD is not going to just be a passing fancy for me (read obsessed !!) so time to upgrade.

@ Deacon: Cripes mate your an animal !!!!!!!

Knucks

Doc
Mar-16-2012, 18:41
I just contacted that company dhs about them what it would cost for shipping included for the simped F-16 USB. I got to have these they look fantastic!!

Flight sim peddles are to men what shoes are to women. If I'm going to get shot down I am going to do so in style :bgsmile:.

ATAG_Knuckles
Mar-17-2012, 11:41
O.K. here's what I did.

Really want a "Yoke" for realism. I have the CH Yoke, but it has very few programmable buttons, so gonna give this a try.

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/yoke.html

along with their Pedals

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/pedals.html

and continue to use my Saitek X52 for fighters

this way all my profiles will be "Saitek' everything's the same

Will see !!!

Thanks for the input

Knuckles

9./JG52 Hans Gruber
Mar-18-2012, 19:04
A couple of months ago when the euro/dollar conversion was favorable I ordered the Simped Vario pedals. That's the version without the toe brakes and were about $200 delivered to the US. I had previously owned the Saitek pedals and I can say the Simpeds are the superior product by far. They are worth every penny.

ATAG_Bliss
Mar-18-2012, 20:10
Good choices Knuckles! :thumbsup: 10 years isn't a bad run at all!

@ Doc - you realize if you do that, I'm going to have to do the same thing. :Grin:

Recoilfx
Mar-19-2012, 09:36
A couple of months ago when the euro/dollar conversion was favorable I ordered the Simped Vario pedals. That's the version without the toe brakes and were about $200 delivered to the US. I had previously owned the Saitek pedals and I can say the Simpeds are the superior product by far. They are worth every penny.

Can you describe how the simpeds are better? I have a pair of combat pro flight pedals and I am looking to replace it soon.

How smooth is the Simpeds? How hard is the center detent? Is the rudder force adjustable?

How accurate is the input? How is the Simped's 8bit res vs Saitek's wobbly 10 bit res?

Finally, the most important of all, is your flying noticeably better with the Simpeds vs the Saitek POS :-)

9./JG52 Hans Gruber
Mar-19-2012, 12:24
Can you describe how the simpeds are better? I have a pair of combat pro flight pedals and I am looking to replace it soon.

How smooth is the Simpeds? How hard is the center detent? Is the rudder force adjustable?

How accurate is the input? How is the Simped's 8bit res vs Saitek's wobbly 10 bit res?

Finally, the most important of all, is your flying noticeably better with the Simpeds vs the Saitek POS :-)

Smoothness is subjective but it is night & day between the Saiteks and the Simpeds. The center detent is noticeable but easy to transition through and unlike the Saiteks it is easy for me to tell when the pedals are centered. Pedal force is not adjustable but seems fine to me. You could always try different spring weights for a different feel.

Regarding the electronic accuracy I don't have any data to show but they seem plenty accurate to me. The Simpeds use magnetic hall sensors as opposed to the pots in the Saiteks so the Simpeds should last forever as the only moving part is the spring. I don't know if they made me a better pilot but flying is more enjoyable with the simpeds.

If you are considering a version with toe brakes I would caution that the toe brakes on the simped are pressure sensitive and reportedly not very precise. For that reason I skipped the toe brakes and saved myself $150. This was a purchase I struggled with for many many months but I'm very glad I got them. Before purchasing I read many forum posts and I could not find anybody who had a negative thing to say. They come in a black finish now which is quite nice and the EU to USD conversion is still pretty good. From order to delivery took almost 3 weeks, Germany to USA.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s207/atp9697/IMAG0098.jpg

Recoilfx
Mar-19-2012, 12:48
The simped toe brakes are either 100% or 0%?! That would suck because I want my pedals for racing too! Can you tell me where you found this information? I do not see it anywhere. If anything, this post indicates that it's pressure sensitive:

http://riseofflight.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=350&t=23017&sid=6c2ee64b1ab3f5d800d2bd086c793a60&start=10

I'd get the f-16 version now if it can be doubled as racing pedals

9./JG52 Hans Gruber
Mar-19-2012, 13:06
The simped toe brakes are either 100% or 0%?! That would suck because I want my pedals for racing too! Can you tell me where you found this information? I do not see it anywhere. If anything, this post indicates that it's pressure sensitive:

http://riseofflight.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=350&t=23017&sid=6c2ee64b1ab3f5d800d2bd086c793a60&start=10

I'd get the f-16 version now if it can be doubled as racing pedals

I must have misunderstood then. Either way, they are not a true axis and weren't worth the extra cost to me. I would recommend emailing Gunter directly to be sure. He is good at communicating with customers. I am going to edit that part from my previous post as I do not want to spread false information about the product.

Recoilfx
Mar-19-2012, 13:57
Thanks! I will check in with Gunter.

Doc
Mar-19-2012, 14:23
I just ordered the F-16 USB version this morning. Gunter is a good communicator and replies to your emails quickly. I had to use paypal to fund this. But I am looking forward to getting these going. Might as well take the time to get the yoke and MFP done to.