PDA

View Full Version : Bofors lack of effect!

Gromit
Aug-26-2014, 06:36
Quick question, I know the problem we had with the endless pilot kills from an error in the 20mm cannon effect was fixed, was the bofors effect part of the same equation as it seems to rather ineffective for a 40mm?

over the last few weeks I have been manning the guns at the fields and scored multiple hits on aircraft ranging from 109's to Ju88's, one Ju88 was hit repeatedly with five consecutive rounds yet crash landed over two minutes later, a Bf110 took three direct hits last night yet only vented and flew on, these are definite hits as the fusing was at long range and the rounds exploded on contact at roughly 500m, you can knock the wing off a 109 if you hit them whilst pulling G but otherwise it's usually just venting or oil leaks?

Seems a bit innefective for such a large round!

istruba
Aug-26-2014, 11:27
If theres something the bofors should receive is a nerf. It already too much effective and currently it does have infinite ammo and no reload time. This is simply bs and if one player is using the bofors it can easily stop an incoming attack.

ps: You dont need to kill the pilot to take an airplane out of action, even more with the glass radiators of the BF's.

ATAG_Colander
Aug-26-2014, 11:41
Gromit,

I have to congratulate you for your aiming!. I've used those guns several times and just by the smoke in my face, I wasn't able to hit the side of a barn. Then there was the range at which the ammo explodes which was never the one I needed.

istruba,

Continuing with the above, you should try to hop on a gun and hit something. You will see is not as easy as it might seem.

Regarding the 109 rads, sadly you have 2 rads and they are not protected by the fuselage so yes, chances are you will get hit there. All it takes is 1 bullet to make a hole in a radiator.

Gromit
Aug-26-2014, 12:10
If theres something the bofors should receive is a nerf. It already too much effective and currently it does have infinite ammo and no reload time. This is simply bs and if one player is using the bofors it can easily stop an incoming attack.

ps: You dont need to kill the pilot to take an airplane out of action, even more with the glass radiators of the BF's.

No mate it won't stop an attack, I put four direct hits on a He111 at Oye Plage just now and he still got his bombs off, he went down later but you simply cannot stop the bomber unless you kill the pilot or get a lucky control hit!

As to reloads the crew (6-8 men) feed clips in as the gun is firing topping up the slide before it empties, you don't stop to reload and ammo storage at an AA site is massive for obvious reasons!

Jump on one and try and hit something, it's extremely difficult!

Gromit
Aug-26-2014, 12:13
Gromit,

I have to congratulate you for your aiming!. I've used those guns several times and just by the smoke in my face, I wasn't able to hit the side of a barn. Then there was the range at which the ammo explodes which was never the one I needed.

istruba,

Continuing with the above, you should try to hop on a gun and hit something. You will see is not as easy as it might seem.

Regarding the 109 rads, sadly you have 2 rads and they are not protected by the fuselage so yes, chances are you will get hit there. All it takes is 1 bullet to make a hole in a radiator.

Thanks mate but I miss a lot more than I hit! :doh:

You also have to have the patience to man the gun and scan for targets, but we are finding it's a good support for defensive aircraft under attack, drag them over the field and the gun tries to shoot the bandit off their tail, TS essential of course!

Otyg
Aug-27-2014, 08:49
Anyone using the german ones? I find the uk(swedish!) ones easier to aim due to the sight. anyway to use the sight better?