PDA

View Full Version : 109 Overheating

CzarPeppers
Aug-27-2014, 00:20
This is probably going to have a stupidly simple answer, but I have yet to be able to find the answer. I have watched a number of BF109 training videos, and I have made a start up checklist and all that. But I still have the problem that 10 or 15 minutes into my flight the water gasket goes and the engine eventually fails, this happens every time. When it does happen the engine temperature isn't even that high.

Here is a list of the things that I have done during that 10-15 minutes of takeoff, flight and crash landing.

My start up procedure:

Fuel cock: ON
Magneto: 1+2
Radiator: ON
Oil Radiator: ON
At this point I would start the engine and set the pitch to 12'o'clock.

Then I take off.

Once I have taken off and climbed to at least 1,000ft, I lower the pitch so I'm around 2,500 RPM and continue on my flight. Then... the water gasket goes and the engine overheats.

Any idea fellow pilots? Is it possible it has something to do with the auto-radiator system the 109 has? (or at least I think it does).

II/JG77_RC
Aug-27-2014, 01:07
You can only Run 2500 RPM for short periods of time (1 to 5 mins) with the DB601 engine. Cruise RPM's in the 109 are 2100 to 2300 RPM

check out the ATAG wiki, it has all the info you need for every aircraft in the game.

http://www.theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/wiki/doku.php?id=ju88bomb&do=index

Enjoy

S!

hnbdgr
Aug-27-2014, 02:50
Hi Peppers,

depends on the model as well.

109e -1/3/4 have slightly different settings to the /b or bomber variant and very different settings to /N variant which runs 100 octane fuel

see their respective settings here:
http://www.theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/wiki/doku.php?id=germanflightmanuals

It's safe to say that on the 1/3/4 + b variants you should not run 2500 for more then a minute and shouldn't go over that limit.

As a rule of thumb

2200 is indefinite cruise setting
2300 is the 30 minute limit
2400 is the 5 minute limit
2500 is the 1 minute limit

109 E-4/N version has higher limits.

Also note that if you fly with max RPM e.g. 2400 and climb at slow speeds you will notice engine overheating rapidly from 3K to 4.5K( Full throttle height for most common models) it is there you need to either keep your speed up over 400kph or reduce your RPM to 2200-2300 to prevent overheating.

With automatic pitch on the 109-E4 /b and /N variants you can adjust pitch indirectly through the throttle. RPM responds to the throttle position so 95% throttle will give you something like 2300, on 100% throttle you get 2450.

Hope this helps :salute:

CzarPeppers
Aug-27-2014, 14:16
You can only Run 2500 RPM for short periods of time (1 to 5 mins) with the DB601 engine. Cruise RPM's in the 109 are 2100 to 2300 RPM

check out the ATAG wiki, it has all the info you need for every aircraft in the game.

http://www.theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/wiki/doku.php?id=ju88bomb&do=index

Enjoy

S!
There we go! I knew it would be something like that. Must have watched the videos and just ended up crossing wires with the Spitfire.

CzarPeppers
Aug-27-2014, 14:19
Hi Peppers,

depends on the model as well.

109e -1/3/4 have slightly different settings to the /b or bomber variant and very different settings to /N variant which runs 100 octane fuel

see their respective settings here:
http://www.theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/wiki/doku.php?id=germanflightmanuals

It's safe to say that on the 1/3/4 + b variants you should not run 2500 for more then a minute and shouldn't go over that limit.

As a rule of thumb

2200 is indefinite cruise setting
2300 is the 30 minute limit
2400 is the 5 minute limit
2500 is the 1 minute limit

109 E-4/N version has higher limits.

Also note that if you fly with max RPM e.g. 2400 and climb at slow speeds you will notice engine overheating rapidly from 3K to 4.5K( Full throttle height for most common models) it is there you need to either keep your speed up over 400kph or reduce your RPM to 2200-2300 to prevent overheating.

With automatic pitch on the 109-E4 /b and /N variants you can adjust pitch indirectly through the throttle. RPM responds to the throttle position so 95% throttle will give you something like 2300, on 100% throttle you get 2450.

Hope this helps :salute:Thank you, after reading this I realized the problem. I'm not very familiar with the different 109 models, and in the video tutorial he was flying the E-4/N. So I just assumed it would be 24-25 for all other 109's.

I'll have to take a look at the 109 articles on here.

3./JG51_Heiden
Aug-27-2014, 20:13
Czar, watch my video tutorial on taxi, takeoff, climb and level-off. I talk about power settings and radiator positions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgIsSS1IZME&list=PLFaQGFlikmS8HU6sefqLDeiYZ33zqdgl1&index=2

GloriousRuse
Sep-05-2014, 17:08
Just one bit to add - beware the climb out. For most pilots the climb from takeoff to combat height will be one of the longest sustained climbs in a sortie combined with the lowest initial speed (and hence airflow).

Settings that seem like they should go forever may slowly kill you between less direct airflow, high sustained RPMs, and low speed without any bursts of flat travel to push a bit of cool in. I tend to go to a personal philosophy of "gear up, flight table, cut throttle to at least 90%"

3./JG51_Heiden
Sep-10-2014, 16:07
Set coolant radiator to the 3/4 position, set climb power to 1.25 ATA (or 80% throttle), manual prop pitch with RPMs maintained at 2300, and pitch for 300 km/h IAS and you will never overheat at any altitude. This is a safe and effective climb power setting and profile. Expect to climb at or around 1km/min at this setting as well. Pitching for 350 reduces the climbrate slightly but gives you even better margins on the engine cooling and provides you with excellent forward velocity for initiating evasive maneuvers should the need arise.