PDA

View Full Version : The Great White Shark Attack

Jack Morris (Lucky)
Mar-18-2012, 04:01
Hello all,

About a week ago, Snapper posted about the tactic I like to take down planes with and dubbed it "The Great White Shark Attack". Here is a detailed explanation:

When the map rotates to early morning, I fly over to France in a Spit IIa as dawn is breaking (I may be wrong but flak seems to be a lot less accurate in the dark) I fly at zero ft and look up towards the sky, this is a win-win because the enemy cannot see you against the dark ground, but it is very easy for you to pick up this silhouette of an enemy.

Follow your target, but make sure to stay below him, when you are right under him, pull up towards him, and when you are as close in as possible, fire a burst of less than 1 second, and he shouldn't be flying for much longer. The aim is not to take them out instantly (although you will find this happens most of the time) It is simply to make them no longer a threat to you, wound them badly and you will get that kill!

I usually take down at least 4 bandits before fuel runs out, and usually have 9 seconds ammo to spare for the flight home.

Now for the technical info -
Power setting is as follows:
Throttle=110%, Rads=48%, Prop Pitch=72%, Mixture=100% I can run these settings without ever overheating (as long as you stay below 10,000)

Convergence:
All guns horizontal set to 150. The vertical for G1=190, G2=200, G3=210, G4=220
and so you don't have to bother mirroring it G5=220, G6=210, G7=200, G8=190
This vertical gives a nice, up and down scattered box (A trick I learned from my good friend the Pope)

You should set your Gunsight to 160, and the base feet to 32ft for an Bf-109. You will probably be travelling much faster than the 109 so open fire just before the enemy wing tips touch the two horizontal lines, then break off and look for another target!

Good Luck, and I hope you found this interesting/helpful!

Jack

---a.k.a The Great White Shark---

Oh, and here is a shot of what the aftermath of a typical attack looks like:

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr105/JackEdwardMorris/2012-03-11_00004.jpg

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-18-2012, 09:18
Good stuff, Jack!

I'm going to have to try this in my Rotol. I've been using a similar convergence spread of late with the horizontal set at 180 yds, but the verticals at 150, 180, 200, and 220. Will give your spread a go since it would be more lethal close in.

I devised a similar attack method inspired by your verbal description over Teamspeak last week of The Great White Shark Attack. In my attack method, in the pre-dawn darkness, I stalk my prey from below and behind just as you describe. At the right moment, I yank back hard on my stick and rear up into an accelerated stall. As my Rotol rapidly sheds energy, stalls, and enters an incipient spin, I cut loose with all 8 guns. I have claimed 4 planes doing this, of which 3 were the enemy. Oh, and 1 cow.

I have named this maneuvre The Ruptured Flounder Attack.

Jack Morris (Lucky)
Mar-18-2012, 09:28
Good stuff, Jack!

I have claimed 4 planes doing this, of which 3 were the enemy. Oh, and 1 cow.

Good work Snapper! Just as a note, this would not end in a stall or spin if you were in a perfectly trimmed Spit IIa, I think you will get much better results if you use one! give it a try!

Jack

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-18-2012, 10:26
re using a Spit IIa; Jack, you are soooo right. A Spitfire IIa would be just the ticket. At present, in the current server mission rotation, only three IIa's are available when there's any to be had at all. I'm working on a script with Bliss, Watchman, and Colander to automatically spawn me in a IIa when I log in. If all three happen to be taken, then one of those three will be randomly chosen to be mine. The unfortunate occupant of that chosen IIa will be uncermoniously dumped from the cockpit. If that hapless former-IIa pilot happens to be aloft at the time, he will be issued a parachute. We're not Philistines, after all.

Once this small scripting matter is attended to, I shall look forward to evolving from a Ruptured Flounder to a Great White Shark. :thumbsup:

Jack Morris (Lucky)
Mar-18-2012, 13:02
^ This :bgsmile:

kopperdrake
Mar-18-2012, 17:46
As my Rotol rapidly sheds energy, stalls, and enters an incipient spin, I cut loose with all 8 guns. I have claimed 4 planes doing this, of which 3 were the enemy. Oh, and 1 cow.

I'm sure I've seen this eloquent manoeuver in practice. Are we to assume all three planes were enemy, or should we see you carrying out the deadly Ruptured Flounder, would we be wise to run away, quickly?

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-18-2012, 18:44
Head for the hills!!!! LOL