PDA

View Full Version : WTD: Cliffs Of Dover CD

Das RaVeN
Sep-01-2014, 08:48
Good day folks.

I am looking at getting back into WWII air simmin and would be pleased to hear from anyone that may have an English language physical media copy of Clod gathering dust and available for sale+ Postage to London, UK.

Jasper.

hnbdgr
Sep-01-2014, 09:13
Hi Raven,

some folks might have spare steam keys, I doubt you'll find somebody having a spare disc (I believe it has collector's value now :) ) See if you can catch a steam sale, or get CloD as a digital download from amazon. You might also find it on gamer's gate and such like. You should be able to pick it up for less then £10 from somewhere.

Badger :salute:

Das RaVeN
Sep-01-2014, 09:45
Thank you for the advice Badger, I may have to get my head around that method should I draw a blank on the old fashioned way , the only thing running on steam around here is my antediluvian PC rig.

ATAG_Monkeynut
Sep-01-2014, 10:00
As far as I am aware you will still need to download it through Steam even if you get a copy on disc, the disc just links you to Steam.

ATAG_Naz
Sep-01-2014, 10:30
Hi Raven

As the guys have indicated you really needn't bother with a disk for this game. It will be a lot quicker and easier to just download the game from Steam..in fact, you will need to install Steam in any case to play it as it is a requirement (the game wont work without Steam mate)...so you may as well just buy it online and join us all that quicker! :thumbsup::salute::thumbsup:

As far as I am aware you will still need to download it through Steam even if you get a copy on disc, the disc just links you to Steam.

Just as an aside; when you have a Steam game bought on disk, that disk actually does have the game on it even if it tries to download the entire game again from Steam during the install. For some reason, Steam often, but not always seems to ignore the disk and proceeds with a full download which is a pain in the neck if you have limited download limits. I cant remember the actual link off hand but I cut and pasted a set of instruction from the official steam help forums a few years ago to remind myself and help anyone else having the same issue;

Using Steam launch options to install retail games from disc

Right-click on the game, select Delete local content, and confirm.
Insert the first disc into your computer.
Close Steam (Steam > Exit).
Press Windows Key + R to open Run
In the Run window type:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E:

Replace E: with the CD/DVD drive you are installing from if is not correct.
Replace C:\Program Files\Steam if your Steam installation is not in the default location.
Press OK. Steam will launch and ask you to sign in if you do not have your password saved. Your installation should continue from the disc.

Of course, once you've installed the game from your disk, Steam will still need to download any updates (which is the case for pretty much any game ever released) but at least following those instructions will have at least saved you some time and bandwidth.

:salute:

Das RaVeN
Sep-01-2014, 10:40
Gahhhh ! I was not aware of that Naz , looks like I will just have to be 'Assimilated'

Thanks for the advice Gents.

ATAG_Lewis
Sep-01-2014, 13:59
Raven....dont be worried about STEAM....Most of us were when we first found out we had to use it but have realised that it is not the evil hinderance we thought it might be.....I for one disliked the idea thatmy rig had to be online and on STEAM just to play... its really no big deal..you can pretty much ignore STEAM if you want to altho you will use it to navigate thru your friends and see games and stuff...Im sure when you get used to it

You can also be annonymous online in STEAM if you want

Jump in....the waters not that cold!

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Sep-01-2014, 16:42
Thank you for the advice Badger, I may have to get my head around that method should I draw a blank on the old fashioned way , the only thing running on steam around here is my antediluvian PC rig.

Please see the PC requirements to run CoD well before you buy.

Wouldn't want you to be disappointed. :salute: