PDA

View Full Version : Rear gunners....

pippin
Sep-10-2014, 09:36
Been doing some attacks against German Bombers using the Hurricane, but wow!! those gunners are a lulu. I`m having a lot of fun but always seem to get popped on the second or third run in. Is there a way to tame them a bit.

Ian

9./JG52 Mindle
Sep-10-2014, 10:09
This a good thread about attacking bombers without making yourself a sitting duck for their gunners.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12130

DRock
Sep-10-2014, 10:29
Been doing some attacks against German Bombers using the Hurricane, but wow!! those gunners are a lulu. I`m having a lot of fun but always seem to get popped on the second or third run in. Is there a way to tame them a bit.

Ian

Hi Pippen.

I have a theory as to why this happens, as I have noticed this with my own attacks on bombers.

Obviously, your angle of attack, speed, and distance are very important factors, but there is another. Greed.

I take great care on the first pass, but if untouched and successful, I want more. On the second pass, I may just get a little closer. The natural instinct is to push the limits of the aircraft, and constantly find that 'edge' on your opponent which can often cause you to go too far.

Always use extreme caution and discipline when attacking bombers. Attack simultaneously with a wingman to break up the gunners. Go for the weakest, most vulnerable bombers first, and approach from the bomber's 'blind spots'. That is, it's least defended angle.

Good luck and have fun.:thumbsup:

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Sep-10-2014, 10:39
As far as I am aware, you have three options;

1. Edit the skill of the gunners in the Mission Building tool

2. Edit the load-out of the gunners (add observer rounds to their ammo - these do not do damage) so they are less effective

3. Change your attack tactics. Here's a video with a suggested approach. These bombers are all on "ace" setting and none of them have observer rounds.

http://youtu.be/g08flG5IJ6o?list=UUaLiosPyg4O4UF3Kf1mB7LQ

pippin
Sep-10-2014, 12:13
Excellent Video Philstyle (QJ-P)

Thanks for the replies chaps. I do get sucked into the 6oclock on these beasts which is my downfall no doubt. I`m off to practice what I have seen in your Tutorial very informative. :thumbsup:

Ian (pippin)