PDA

View Full Version : Flight School: Evasive Maneuvers And Running On The Deck

3./JG51_Heiden
Sep-11-2014, 12:45
In this edition of Heiden's flight school I show you the quickest way to get away from a close pursuer, and how to maximize your speed as you extend away and run on the deck. Questions or comments?

Recorded flying a Bf-109E-3 on ATAG's Axis vs. Allies server using Team Fusion 4.312 mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htEeXCl1kEU

SorcererDave
Sep-11-2014, 13:16
This was incredibly helpful - I've been struggling with trying to get the most out of the 109's engine, and I had no idea you could put the radiator all the way down to 25%. One thing to note though - a competent Spitfire 1a pilot that can manage his engine properly WILL eventually catch you in a deck-level chase because at that altitude the boost cut-out can be maintained almost indefinitely, so gaining as much separation as possible in that initial dive-out is crucial. I had a textbook example of this last night actually, but didn't think to record it.

All that said, I'm not sure if this applies to the E4/N or E4/B. They may well still be able to outrun the Spit on the deck - it's something I haven't had the opportunity to test.

3./JG51_Heiden
Sep-11-2014, 15:21
This procedure only applies to the E1, E3 and E4. The N and B are substantially faster and are basically impervious to interception by normal means when facing Hurries and Spits.

SD I am by no means discounting your claims but in the hundreds of engagements I've been in facing 1a 100s I have never been run down or caught up to by one. If I initiate the evasive maneuver with equal or greater energy I have not been intercepted.

I would very much like to test this stuff with you. We can get on TS some time and find a remote portion of the map and do online tests, without combat involved. PM me if you're interested and we'll set something up.

SorcererDave
Sep-11-2014, 16:17
Sure thing man. I should stress that the catching up is a slow process though, with the one I was chasing last night I had to tail him halfway across Normandy before I got into guns range where he basically gave up and pulled up right in front of my guns. I think most of the time either the Spit pilot is mismanaging his engine, or just assumes he won't be able to keep up (or can't be bothered to chase) and breaks off. It also depends on the height the initial dive takes place at since the 109 retains that speed longer than the Spit.

Chrinik
Sep-12-2014, 04:28
The 109 E4/N will definately run away from any Spit or Hurri, which is why it is my preferred plane of choice. Not only is it noob friendly with Autopitch and an engine that can take a load of RPMs without failing, it also has 100 oct gas and runs a couple HP stronger then the E4 engine. I have had an event yesterday where a squadron mate called a contact long six after a bombing mission somewhere behind and above me, far away.
So, like the noob I am, as soon as I spot him, I pull hard and accelerate, get under and behind the spit about a km away, and start climbing behind him, innitiating the chase with a decent turn again.
After about a minute of climbing almost 20-30 degrees(could be more, it was a really steep climb at low speeds and I am a poor judge of this), got into gunrange and shot him up.

Getting away is equally as easy, turn off autopitch, close the rads about 50%, and keep the engine around 2600-2700 RPM manually and climb slightly, because if you climb, the autopitch likes to keep you around 2400 RPM...pushing the plane manually to squeeze the last bit of power out of the engine is both fascinating and part of the fun of CloD for me, it´s really fun trying out all these cool tactics that are not about "Aim at enemy and shoot till he dies!" but about getting the most out of the hardware. Makes me feel like I am actually controlling a machine instead of moving a crosshair across a screen.

So your video about the other 109s is really helpful, since I have had trouble getting away in those if I didn´t already have superiour E...
Being a noob, I dislike closing the radiators since I blew one to many engines by forgetting to open them under certain airspeeds, but I´ll definately try that more often.

The art of getting away is truely sophisticated indeed.

SorcererDave
Sep-12-2014, 14:33
I dislike using the E4/N for historical reasons (at least unless TF decide to give the RAF the Spit Mk Ib in which case I'll reconsider), but I had an extended session in the E4/B last night and had some very good results. Was a close-run thing sometimes but after following the advice in Heiden's video (going manual prop pitch, closing the rads as far as possible) I was at least able to keep the chase going on for long enough that the tailing Spit gave up and broke off, even if I wasn't exactly jumping to light-speed away from him.

9./JG52 Reinhart
Sep-13-2014, 01:25
For people who do not have TrackIR like me, try this: move your head down one click to the instruments, put your mouse over the water temperature gauge then look back up. The next time you have to check your temperatures quickly just move your head back down to the instruments so you can quickly see how how the hot the engine.

Prost

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Sep-13-2014, 01:34
Even the E-4B and E-4N need to be careful when they start their attempted disengagement at low speed, ie. 250 kmh.

The Spit IA 100 octane accelerates very quickly from low speeds.

And if the Spitfire is very close behind, it won't make any difference what type of 109 is running.

Davis0079
Sep-13-2014, 04:33
after I dive and seperate....I like to enter a shallow high speed climb (475kph min)...no zoom climb...

you pull away from most co-E brit fighters this way.....takes about 3-5 mins before you leave them drained....(109 retains its speed in a very shallow climb)

when they dis-engage you can do a low yo-yo and dive onto their 6....if they turn into you, you do "1" pass, then extend.....come back on them if they dis-engage again...

Boom...no Zoom....extend...shallow climb till they stop chasing you or they are far enough out of your circle that you can re_engage safely.....

I could be wrong, but this seems to work for me....

Keenable
Sep-15-2014, 03:42
I feel most pilots when trying to run from or pursue the enemy, by diving, forget to center the ball while his opponent does not forget. It is critical to keep the ball centered especially in the initial part of the dive when the ball always shifts to one side, at least in the 109 that is.

fly4ever
Sep-15-2014, 07:24
Admittedly a very wise technique to escape and run away from enemy! :thumbsup:

However,you should primarily have the necessary altitude to convert it into speed by using as much energy as possible.Otherwise I don't think there's a way to gain that critical distance to avoid enemy's shots.Unless the opponent doesn't know to fly his machine very well in terms of engine management,trimming and so on.
Question is if you could actually run away starting already from the deck, trying to exiting a fight which seems not to getting in your favor after a while probably due to a more skilful opponent.

Nick

Davis0079
Sep-15-2014, 19:02
dogfighting is only an option in the 109 for a pilot of my low skill if I'm trying to die or I'm playing an arcade shooter.

I can (in clod) dive on an opponent and get a deflection shot if i'm spotted, a bounce if not spotted, and run out of their gun envelope before they get a good/great shot...snap shots cant be avoided, but are ineffective at best in this situation....and most ppl dont get a shot off at all

...if I spot an enemy trying to bounce me, I can normally drop my nose and outrun their E advantage then pull away to start my drain on their mental game and stamina....eventually they get bored of me doing boom and drag on them for twenty minutes, turn tail and give me a bounce chance of my own.....if they see me on my run at them, they have no choice but to turn into me, giving me a shot and I start the process all over again...they are trapped...damn if they chase me...Damned if they run from me....

...if I spot an enemy trying to bounce me, and I cant outrun their gun envelope. I use the roll rate of the 109 to try and save me. When I get clear by my the skin of my teeth (normally I dont), I turn it in to a drag race ofcourse...

If i dont spot and enemy bouncing me....i normally take hits, get shot down, die, or any combination of the three.

...so while a few of you are calling this way cowardly and un-sportsmen like (online/ingame comment)....I see it as playing the game to the strengths of the 109 and not falling for the lose/lose situation of dogfighting with the spits so their buddies can catch me low E...

if you want me to just zig zag back and forth, maybe do a loop and a couple circles so you can just fly up behind me and shoot me down, you should just ask. But until then I'm going to play to win and this "hit the deck and run" technique is a good one for 109 pilots....especially rookie ones like myself

Edit...I feel I should also say i never run completely to the deck...I stay at 3k+ normally (normally 5k) and from there I dive till i hit enough speed to get out of gun envelope and become co-E or greater then start my drag from there...regain alt in a shallow climb...I do hit the deck for furballs thought...cant help myself, always fall for that one...

javelina
Sep-15-2014, 19:33
thanks Heiden, a very good and informative video tutorial. I'll practice some more. :thumbsup: