PDA

View Full Version : I wish the FMB would cleanly and reliably reset itself!

No601_Swallow
Sep-15-2014, 01:34
It's never too late to discover something else annoying about CloD! Here's this week's discovery. I'm posting this in case others have come across the same thing, but are at a loss to explain it. Apologies if this is old news.

Funnily enough, this glitch may be related to my "ghost ships" issue which I posted a few days ago.

The FMB doesn't seem to reset (i.e. wipe clean) the "Script" window (where you create triggers and actions) when you quit a mission by loading a new blank map. Therefore, if you've created some triggers or actions in one mission, you can't be guaranteed that the FMB doesn't also have those triggers in whatever new mission you're going on to create on a new map.

Now, I've had problems with the FMB clearing information (objects, etc) when a new map is loaded, so I've got into the habit of loading a completely different (one of the k-razy online maps) map when I start on a new mission, before reloading the Channel map to get on with building a new mission. I had naively assumed that this would force the FMB to wipe everything - and indeed for map objects it seems to work. However, for the Script window, it doesn't seem to work.

This led to "hilarious" consequences for my squadron last night when a submission unexpectedly started to retrigger and reload itself in what seems to have been an infinite loop. We had infinity Blenheims!

Is this a bug? Or is it a "quirk"? Or is it just another rueful "That CloD, eh! What a character!" moment?

♣_Spiritus_♣
Sep-15-2014, 01:39
That happens to me every time I move from one mission and create a new one. I have just got into the habit of quitting the game all together, then relaunching FMB and not loading any existing mission and just selecting the map I want for the new mission I'm making.

Its got to be a bug.

Salmo
Sep-15-2014, 04:23
It's never too late to discover something else annoying about CloD! Here's this week's discovery. I'm posting this in case others have come across the same thing, but are at a loss to explain it. Apologies if this is old news.

Funnily enough, this glitch may be related to my "ghost ships" issue which I posted a few days ago.

The FMB doesn't seem to reset (i.e. wipe clean) the "Script" window (where you create triggers and actions) when you quit a mission by loading a new blank map. Therefore, if you've created some triggers or actions in one mission, you can't be guaranteed that the FMB doesn't also have those triggers in whatever new mission you're going on to create on a new map.

Now, I've had problems with the FMB clearing information (objects, etc) when a new map is loaded, so I've got into the habit of loading a completely different (one of the k-razy online maps) map when I start on a new mission, before reloading the Channel map to get on with building a new mission. I had naively assumed that this would force the FMB to wipe everything - and indeed for map objects it seems to work. However, for the Script window, it doesn't seem to work.

This led to "hilarious" consequences for my squadron last night when a submission unexpectedly started to retrigger and reload itself in what seems to have been an infinite loop. We had infinity Blenheims!

Is this a bug? Or is it a "quirk"? Or is it just another rueful "That CloD, eh! What a character!" moment?

I don't use the FMB interface for sctipting, triggers etc. It's clumsy & ill-concieved. can I ask that yiou report this bug at the bug-tracaker site. http://tfbt.nuvturais.de/login

SoW Reddog
Sep-15-2014, 05:44
I was working on an external FMB, but stopped working on it when I was kicked out of TF. At some point I may well revisit it.

Personally, I'm not sure it's a bug as such but it can be annoying. What I'd do is create a brand new mission with no script and no objects, and save as "blanktemplate". I'd then load that mission, save it as the mission name you're going to use, and go from there. That way you know there's nothing going on.

♣_Spiritus_♣
Sep-15-2014, 10:52
What I'd do is create a brand new mission with no script and no objects, and save as "blanktemplate". I'd then load that mission, save it as the mission name you're going to use, and go from there. That way you know there's nothing going on.

Good idea!