PDA

View Full Version : SweetFX for Windows 8/8.1

Markie
Sep-16-2014, 01:08
Hi, I made some settings changes to SweetFX for Windows 7 and these I felt worked well. I posted these but really wanted to do the same for Windows 8/8.1 however I only run Windows7. A supporting member named "implicit A" found some DCS SweetFX Settings tweaked for 64bits with specific dll files that altogether may work for this game. I have not yet changed the settings to my ones for colour and contrast etc. and bundled them together in a zipped file. Once unzipped all the files can be placed straight into main folder of game and started. The main folder is the one that contains: Launcher.exe

I cannot guarantee it will work only that people try it and respond back. It may need changes but looks encouraging in theory at least. All files are additional therefore if they don't work can be removed without affecting game. Any existing SweetFX files may need to be removed first to avoid conflicts. Hope it does as it says on the packet and improves the game for you.

Pirabee
Sep-17-2014, 11:20
Markie'darl, my main worry is how to identify all the old SweetFX files that I'd dropped into the main folder from your first offer. I've considered revisiting the download folder and doing an ID of each of the files, but - knowing my dotty PC abilities - I seriously doubt if this will be hundred percent helpful.

So, any useful tips, please?

Pirabee.

eriku777
Sep-17-2014, 13:17
Thanks for this. I have Windows 8.1 and dropped in the files into my main game folder. When I launched the game the Mod Icon came up as usual and then the game exited without any warnings/errors. I deleted the added files and the game launched correctly.

-- Eric --

Hi, I made some settings changes to SweetFX for Windows 7 and these I felt worked well. I posted these but really wanted to do the same for Windows 8/8.1 however I only run Windows7. A supporting member named "implicit A" found some DCS SweetFX Settings tweaked for 64bits with specific dll files that altogether may work for this game. I have changed the settings to my ones for colour and contrast etc. and bundled them together in a zipped file. Once unzipped all the files can be placed straight into main folder of game and started. The main folder is the one that contains: Launcher.exe

I cannot guarantee it will work only that people try it and respond back. It may need changes but looks encouraging in theory at least. All files are additional therefore if they don't work can be removed without affecting game. Any existing SweetFX files may need to be removed first to avoid conflicts. Hope it does as it says on the packet and improves the game for you.

Markie
Sep-17-2014, 13:55
Hi Pirabee, I did two zipped downloads for NewSweetFX - here is the breakdown of files for each. The second one was later, improved version.

MarkiesFiles:
SweetFX (Yellow Folder)
d3d9.dll
d3d9.fx
dxgi.dll
dxgi.fx
injector
SweetFX readme
SweetFX_preset
SweetFX_settings

MarkiesNewSettings-1.5 Files:
SweetFX (YellowFolder)
d3d9.dll
d3d9.fx
dxgi.dll
dxgi.fx
injector
log
shader.fx
SweetFX_preset
SweetFX_settings

Hi eriku777. Does this mean the effects are working at all for you in Windows 8.1?

eriku777
Sep-17-2014, 16:06
To clarify, putting the files you provided in the game directory stops the game from Launching. The launcher displays the big Gold Mod Icon and then the game quits. No game = no effects. Removed all the files and the game started working again.

Hi Pirabee, I did two zipped downloads for NewSweetFX - here is the breakdown of files for each. The second one was later, improved version.

MarkiesFiles:
SweetFX (Yellow Folder)
d3d9.dll
d3d9.fx
dxgi.dll
dxgi.fx
injector
SweetFX readme
SweetFX_preset
SweetFX_settings

MarkiesNewSettings-1.5 Files:
SweetFX (YellowFolder)
d3d9.dll
d3d9.fx
dxgi.dll
dxgi.fx
injector
log
shader.fx
SweetFX_preset
SweetFX_settings

Hi eriku777. Sounds like it didn't cause havoc at least, does this means the effects are working well in Windows 8.1 for you?

Markie
Sep-17-2014, 22:12
Ok, sorry mistook the "Thanks for this" as a clue it may have worked in some regard. Back to the drawing board, as I don't have Windows 8.1 I will have to consider things in theory and run over why it won't accept it. Just getting the game to operate has been an issue with some running 8.1 so it interesting that it affects it starting. Have to think about it hard for a while. For now we know this configuration does not work, thanks for testing. Hope to change it soon to work.

NEWS :
OK - Today I have placed the zipped code put forward by" implicit A" back at the top of this post where my zipped file was. This is totally pure from original source. Could somebody ( I am hoping eriku777 especially) test this again. If it works then I can alter the settings file to mine for contrast and colour and upload a new zipped file.

Pirabee
Oct-02-2014, 03:56
Markie,

Sorry, I've been away for quite a while now.

I've just seen your response, but my worry was with regards to the original SweetFX files (also made by you) that were tossed into my CloD folder. Don't I need to delete them first before using this NEW version here? My challenge is how to accurately identify all the individual files of that older SweetFX version.

Hope I've made my case a bit clearer now. Thanks for the assistance.

Pirabee.

ATAG_Lolsav
Oct-02-2014, 07:42
To clarify, putting the files you provided in the game directory stops the game from Launching. The launcher displays the big Gold Mod Icon and then the game quits. No game = no effects. Removed all the files and the game started working again.

eriku can i suggest you to make a experience - I remember some time ago one of the files of Sweetfx were preventing the game to launch, even for Win7 users. Im not sure if its Nvidia/ATI related cards, but from memory i think it was.

Anyway hereĀ“s the experience. Place back Markie files, but delete these 2: "d3d9.dll and
d3d9.fx"

Then attempt to launch the game again.

nemo7
Oct-12-2014, 11:03
Place back Markie files, but delete these 2: "d3d9.dll and
d3d9.fx"

Then attempt to launch the game again.

I tried, but no such luck :ind:

Markie
Oct-12-2014, 11:19
Nemo7 - What OS have you got 8.0 or 8.1?
Just trying to sort out what is happening. Very interested in results.

nemo7
Oct-12-2014, 11:25
Hello there, Markie.

Continu0
Oct-12-2014, 11:32
Guys, I tought sweetFX isn't runing on windows 8 anyway?

Markie
Oct-12-2014, 12:29
I didn't think so either but implicit A brought up this notion that the file for download at top of post might work. I haven't got 8.0 or 8.1 and hoping sombody who has could test it out on their computer. Looks like it may not work. Shame. I was also looking at possible changes within games settings so SweetFX not required. Very complex and did not get far, too many parameters. Trying to crack it so everybody can enjoy great colour and definition whatever OS they are using.

j4r3k
Jan-26-2015, 09:35
You forgot to mention that it is needed to copy files from X64_dll's folder to game .exe folder.

I run Win 8.1 64 but while CoD launches fine with 64 bit dlls there is no effect in game - SweetFX just does not work.

For other Win 8.1 users and AMD owners I followed this guide to enable SweetFX on my system http://www.overclock.net/t/1485750/how-to-use-sweetfx-in-windows-8-1 It allowed me to use it in other games.

Unfortunately this method still don't work with CoD for me.

Markie
Jan-27-2015, 10:56
Sad to hear this. I heard that Windows 10 may be downloaded in the future for free as an upgrade for those who have purchased Windows 7 or 8. Do not know the truth of it but if we skip Windows 8 and get it to work on Windows 10 instead that would be great. Waiting for it to come out and try a few things to see if it is compatible.

j4r3k
Jan-27-2015, 12:03
Windows 10 will be probably a service not a product. I don't think I'll take it even for free.